Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
For all you War Thunder-ers out there. How to do defensive firing from a bomber, by the experts c.1944

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I saw that video the other day , guess we have a similar recommended.
It was from a link in a video I was watching. Can't remember which it was though. Might have been a follow on from yet another Mosquito documentary

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Dutch and British CH-47s doing CH-47 things. Doing hi - speed, low level flights and making all the noise in the world.

Despite being big transports, Chinooks are rapid and very maneuverable bits of kit and it's a helluva ride in one if you've got a good pilot that likes cutting the grass on the way in.

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Dutch and British CH-47s doing CH-47 things. Doing hi - speed, low level flights and making all the noise in the world.

Despite being big transports, Chinooks are rapid and very maneuverable bits of kit and it's a helluva ride in one if you've got a good pilot that likes cutting the grass on the way in.
Chinooks are crazy to see flying in person. There was one that did a few passes over a park by my home one day maybe a thousand feet up. Absolute beast of a machine.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Chinooks are crazy to see flying in person. There was one that did a few passes over a park by my home one day maybe a thousand feet up. Absolute beast of a machine.
They're far more nimble than something that big has any right to be. And the noise the thing makes...

Restored Mosquito beating up the crowd.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Here’s a couple of questions:

How do you maximize the distance a glider can fly? Do you try to keep the nose up, and not lose height, or do you let it lose height slowly to maintain horizontal speed, and therefore, lift?

How can the X-36 and the B-2 fly straight and turn without a yaw? Engine gimballing? RCS? I don’t thing they have any of that...

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
How do you maximize the distance a glider can fly? Do you try to keep the nose up, and not lose height, or do you let it lose height slowly to maintain horizontal speed, and therefore, lift
A max of neither and both. The biggest thing is called thermals, warm air up drafts which large birds of prey also use to push them upwards with no effort.

Updrafts and Downdrafts

How can the X-36 and the B-2 fly straight and turn without a yaw? Engine gimballing? RCS? I don’t thing they have any of that...
Rudder-vators. Using the elevators on one side to slow one wing down, rotating the aircraft around.

Mooncrasher

Reading LOTR lore
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
How do you maximize the distance a glider can fly? Do you try to keep the nose up, and not lose height, or do you let it lose height slowly to maintain horizontal speed, and therefore, lift?
Best "lift/drag ratio". Every plane has a particular angle where it is producing just enough lift with a minimum of drag.
Use it to get to the thermals and lifting wind, which are the only thing that can give you height without an engine.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Rudder-vators. Using the elevators on one side to slow one wing down, rotating the aircraft around.
Oh, so they increase the drag produced by one wing to yaw the aircraft in that direction? Hmmm, that actually makes sense. Especially on the B-2 with all that wingspan. These rudder-vators could have a massive effect if mounted on the wingtips.

A max of neither and both. The biggest thing is called thermals, warm air up drafts which large birds of prey also use to push them upwards with no effort.

Updrafts and Downdrafts
Best "lift/drag ratio". Every plane has a particular angle where it is producing just enough lift with a minimum of drag.
Use it to get to the thermals and lifting wind, which are the only thing that can give you height without an engine.
So, basically using wind currents, and the correct angle of attack. Interesting. What if there is no wind current, or the one there is is not what you need?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
So, basically using wind currents, and the correct angle of attack. Interesting. What if there is no wind current, or the one there is is not what you need?
Simple. You're screwed.