Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Sorry but you can't drain the fuel of your probe for the challenge, it has to be sent full.

Your launcher is a good basis, but it weighs only 230 tons, you can add some fuel. I would add at least 15 tons of fuel to the last stage, and you still have some margin to add fuel to the first stage.

Also, don't forget that you can now go up to 265 tons (see Voyager quest challenge rebalanced).

Sorry but you can't drain the fuel of your probe for the challenge, it has to be sent full.

Your launcher is a good basis, but it weighs only 230 tons, you can add some fuel. I would add at least 15 tons of fuel to the last stage, and you still have some margin to add fuel to the first stage.

Also, don't forget that you can now go up to 265 tons (see Voyager quest challenge rebalanced).
Why not add small fuel tanks to the bottom of booster but not enough to make it touch the ground?

CST-100

ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
Why not add small fuel tanks to the bottom of booster but not enough to make it touch the ground?
Because boosters are only supposed to assist your rocket at launch and be discarded early in flight. Adding more fuel to the last stage would be far more efficient than adding fuel to your boosters.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Do you have to get to orbit or can you just go straight up?
It's highly advised to reach orbit first, it's more efficient that way. There's a tutorial with a lot of advice in this section: Voyager quest: tutorial
I suggest that you have a look at it if needed :)

Because boosters are only supposed to assist your rocket at launch and be discarded early in flight. Adding more fuel to the last stage would be far more efficient than adding fuel to your boosters.
Umm. But I use boosters almost all the way to orbit, about 100m/s short then I detach them and use main stage..

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Umm. But I use boosters almost all the way to orbit, about 100m/s short then I detach them and use main stage..
You should discard them sooner. I usually drop my boosters around 15 km of altitude. If you pass the Karman line with your boosters still not depleted, then they are too big.