Making Shuttles

S

Sportgus

Construction of my shuttles will now be here, I'll put the LS and the LS-S here too, the acronyms sound better.
Screenshot_20220609-210118.png
Screenshot_20220609-200259.png
Screenshot_20220609-200051.png

S

Sportgus

Another variant, here is the LS-C3, it can get to LEO carrying 405 tons with over 30% fuel left.
Screenshot_20220621-205113.png
Screenshot_20220621-204955.png
Chungus

Last edited by a moderator:
T

TtTOtW

A: the booster does most of the work.
B: that's what it's supposed to do.

Well done.

... You dont need all those probes.

MartianMan

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
A: the booster does most of the work.
B: that's what it's supposed to do.

Well done.

... You dont need all those probes.
Tt really doesnt like probe spam

definetly not me before shuttle collaboration

Last edited:
T

TtTOtW

Probe spam and RCS spam are what makes people blind to the actual true instability of their shuttles. Instead of engineering the imbalance out, probes and RCS gets added as a shortcut to artificial stability. But in fact there is no stability, it's just an eye blind. Probes add 3 tons per probe which reduces your delta-v and load-carrying capacity quite rapidly. RCS saps fuel like nobody's business due to its very low ISP. And in the quantities commonly used for "balance", the amount of fuel wasted is really significant. That results in a sharp decrease in delta v. These two methods of so-called "balancing" a shuttle are nothing but poor engineering and a dead loss.

MartianMan

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Probe spam and RCS spam are what makes people blind to the actual true instability of their shuttles. Instead of engineering the imbalance out, probes and RCS gets added as a shortcut to artificial stability. But in fact there is no stability, it's just an eye blind. Probes add 3 tons per probe which reduces your delta-v and load-carrying capacity quite rapidly. RCS saps fuel like nobody's business due to its very low ISP. And in the quantities commonly used for "balance", the amount of fuel wasted is really significant. That results in a sharp decrease in delta v. These two methods of so-called "balancing" a shuttle are nothing but poor engineering and a dead loss.
Hard fax

What makes the shuttles unstable anyway?

S

Sportgus

Shuttle is built and can withstand reentry, holds 180t
It's still COMPLETELY no clip
Screenshot_20230215-222646.png

Screenshot_20230215-222940.png

Maybe I'm using too much shuttle weight for payload weight. Anyway now the booster

S

Sportgus

It's finished
Screenshot_20230216-173907.png

Screenshot_20230216-175030.png
Screenshot_20230216-175101.png

I had barely any fuel left, this is good thing?
Screenshot_20230216-175123.png

Tried a payload door method Tt used, I think atleast
Screenshot_20230216-175248.png

MY TAIL!!
Screenshot_20230216-175325.png

The shuttle actually has 0.9 TWR, I never knew you could have this little while the booster has 1.1+ but it worked like a charm

S

Sportgus

Made this small guy
Screenshot_20230226-165525.png

Only meant for in space operations, the kolibris by the front are so the shuttle can land on its wheels, flip up and take off vertically.
It has 2300 m/s of delta v and is pretty balanced
Name is SOS