uo!ss!wqnS +sƎnb ɹ̩Ǝ6∀⅄o^

RealFakeRealGDCat

Man on the Moon
Registered
greetings mate me now makes australian rocket for voyager quest

Mass <256t (I found out bp edited tanks which are ok for this challenge are actually more efficient, and long separator prevents heat when turning)
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 5.40.37 PM.png

best rocket ever
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 5.40.42 PM.png

drop-on!
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 5.40.45 PM.png

Still launching
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 5.41.25 PM.png

low earth orbit achieved!
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 5.42.11 PM.png

trans nothing injection lol
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 5.43.40 PM.png

stage 2
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 5.44.09 PM.png

3.7+ eccentricity achieved! (see the top info)
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 5.44.26 PM.png

log
Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 5.45.48 PM.png

Attachments

Orion

Nuclear bombs in space, die-hard WALL-E fan.
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Carnasa inspired?

Lemniscate Biscuit

ㅤㅤHelp DeskㅤㅤRL10 Expert
Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
MOTY 2023
greetings mate me now makes australian rocket for voyager quest

Mass <256t (I found out bp edited tanks which are ok for this challenge are actually more efficient, and long separator prevents heat when turning)
View attachment 115373
best rocket ever View attachment 115374
drop-on!
View attachment 115375
Still launching
View attachment 115376
low earth orbit achieved! View attachment 115378
trans nothing injection lol
View attachment 115379
stage 2 View attachment 115381
3.7+ eccentricity achieved! (see the top info)
View attachment 115382
log View attachment 115384
Rather interesting. I wonder what Altaïr will say about this one. Not exactly sure if the BP editing counts against this but who knows.

UN Cosmo Navy

Explorer Program Management - non-dlc
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Under Pressure
Registered
Sir, there is 2596% fuel in that tank.
but whatever :rolleyes:
Never in my history here was there a SINGLE person who BP edited how much damn fuel there was. So its kinda like a quiet rule here.
IDK really
But in my personal opinion, kinda unorthodox for a mission

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Filling tanks above 100% is not acceptable indeed. The problem is that when you have a fuel tank that weighs 10 tons (for simplicity), you actually have 9 tons of fuel, while the empty tank weighs 1 ton.
If you wanted to have 90 tons of fuel, you would normally stack 10 units of that fuel tank, and that would automatically come with 10 tons of dry mass. But if you take a single tank and edit its fuel percentage to 1000%, you end up with 90 tons of fuel aswell, but still only 1 ton of dry mass. It's super efficient, but it's not fair, which is why it's not accepted.

Generally speaking, our philosophy is that bp editing is allowed as long as the player doesn't get an unfair advantage from it. It's not explicitely forbidden to fill tanks above 100% indeed, but if we had to define a complete list of what is allowed and what is not, it would be extremely long and complicated. As we don't want to forbid bp editing either (because we prefer to leave as much room as possible for creativity), we rely on a general rule :)

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I think that effectively being able to ignore dry mass of fuel tanks is a bit unfair

I did the maths and overfilling the tanks saved you arounf 23 tons of weight, which makes it much easier to make it go under the required 265 tons mass limit, while giving you much less dry mass so your delta v can be much higher

Last edited:

Darthan

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Registered
When BP editing fuel tanks I usually set the N.height and/or N.width_original values - this changes the size, fuel mass and dry mass in proportion. I don't think I've actually done this for a challenge though. I did something similar with heatshields for my shuttle entry but that has not been reviewed yet.

FuelTankBPEdit.PNG

Axiom

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
That should be fine, that's the equivalent of stacking 5 20ton 2m wide fuel tanks on top of each other (apart from the fact it's slightly less laggy). You still have a normal amount of dry mass (unlike overfilling a fuel tank to 2610%)

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I think that effectively being able to ignore dry mass of fuel tanks is a bit unfair

I did the maths and overfilling the tanks saved you arounf 23 tons of weight, which makes it much easier to make it go under the required 265 tons mass limit, while giving you much less dry mass so your delta v can be much higher
Yep, he saves practically the mass of the probe that way.

When BP editing fuel tanks I usually set the N.height and/or N.width_original values - this changes the size, fuel mass and dry mass in proportion. I don't think I've actually done this for a challenge though. I did something similar with heatshields for my shuttle entry but that has not been reviewed yet.

View attachment 115404
I confirm that doing it that way is ok, it's something I also made myself. You can also set specific dimensions that you couldn't access by stacking non-edited fuel tanks, like setting width to 2.5 for example.
Also, rockets have less parts and look cleaner too, so it's all good.

RealFakeRealGDCat

Man on the Moon
Registered
Filling tanks above 100% is not acceptable indeed. The problem is that when you have a fuel tank that weighs 10 tons (for simplicity), you actually have 9 tons of fuel, while the empty tank weighs 1 ton.
If you wanted to have 90 tons of fuel, you would normally stack 10 units of that fuel tank, and that would automatically come with 10 tons of dry mass. But if you take a single tank and edit its fuel percentage to 1000%, you end up with 90 tons of fuel aswell, but still only 1 ton of dry mass. It's super efficient, but it's not fair, which is why it's not accepted.

Generally speaking, our philosophy is that bp editing is allowed as long as the player doesn't get an unfair advantage from it. It's not explicitely forbidden to fill tanks above 100% indeed, but if we had to define a complete list of what is allowed and what is not, it would be extremely long and complicated. As we don't want to forbid bp editing either (because we prefer to leave as much room as possible for creativity), we rely on a general rule :)
I get it 100%, even tho i dont like a full txt file with every forbidden thing

Axiom

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
kerbal 1: don’t add 72828739 boosters
kerbal 2: adds 72828739 boosters anyway
kerbal 2 makes it to space despite the “recommendations”
What are you trying to say here? Your analogy makes zero sense
Also the point wasn’t to ”cheat”, I had to make upside down rockets confiscate the drag without big fairings
Well you still cheated effectively by cutting a massive fraction of the dry mass. My voyager quest mission when fully out of fuel had 65.5 tons of dry mass, by doing the tank overfiling you cut the dry mass down by over a third

There's also the fact that a reduction of dry mass like that also gives you a 20% increase in Delta-V, and allows each stage to be smaller to result in something that is very overpowered and quite unfair

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
rules never said don’t scale tank size and quantity
do rules say no edit tanks?
I've already made a detailed answer about it. Do I need to answer 3 times? :rolleyes:

Also the point wasn’t to ”cheat”, I had to make upside down rockets confiscate the drag without big fairings
There's no problem, I have no doubt that it wasn't your intention to cheat, but in the end it's not valid, sorry.
Also be careful to the edited separator, for similar reasons we could not accept it either: the generated interstage has no mass, so making it as high as you want is unfair either. You can make an interstage compound of fairings to avoid that problem if that's how you want to proceed.

However if your intention was to decrease drag you would have to explain me this...
Screenshot_20240324_163234_Chrome.jpg

That looks quite draggy to me...