FUN FACTS WITH THRUSTY #1

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
As far as I know, the Moon is actually destined to leave us and turn into a planet in solar orbit. To turn this system into a binary one, you have to put the Moon closer to Earth, which is the opposite of what's actually happening.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Its barycentre is in earth once it drifts away enough it will get out of earth and become a binary planet
The problem is that in real life will happen exactly the opposite: as Moon slowly drifts away from Earth, its influence over our planet decreases, so the barycenter will move even deeper into the Earth, increasing the dominance of this body.

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
As far as I know, the Moon is actually destined to leave us and turn into a planet in solar orbit. To turn this system into a binary one, you have to put the Moon closer to Earth, which is the opposite of what's actually happening.
I thought that it was destined to get farther away from Earth until a certain point in which it would start to get closer again and eventually be torn apart. Not sure where I heard it though, so I could be wrong.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Well, what I've heard is what I said. Maybe Altaïr knows better.
What I've heard is that the Moon is slowly drifting away indeed. At some point, in a "close" future (a few hundreds of thousands of years), full sun eclipses won't be possible anymore because of this. But I've never heard about the Moon getting closer after some point. Now I'm not specialized into this...
The consequence is that the barycenter will drift to a higher point indeed, even if the Moon will have less gravitational influence then.

Here is the video prove me if he is wrong https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=Moon+and+earth+becoming+binary it t e first post to see the top one
I haven't watched it all, but this sounds correct to me. But even if the Earth-Moon system becomes a binary system because of its center of mass outside of Earth, that won't drastically change things.

If you want another fun fact, the center of mass of Jupiter and the Sun is above Sun's surface, so following that logic, the Sun and Jupiter should be considered as a binary system too.

The pull of the Moon is slowing the rotation of Earth, this angular momentum is being transferred to the Moon which is why it is moving away slowly
“When” the Earth becomes tidally locked, which will take 10s of billions of years and who knows what in that time, the Moon will stop drifting away

The Sun has been very stable since the first billion years of its existence and the start of life on Earth, this stability will not last another billion years; we are well past the halfway, even the 3/4 point
The sun will “suddenly” puff up into a red giant in about 5 billion years but well within the next billion it will begin to very noticeably lose its stability and puffing up a bit, not like a giant but plainly noticeable, and heating up and ending life as we know it in just the next billion years
The next billion will be some ever deteriorating Mad Max to Tattooine environment until we’re as parched as Mercury

Solar system orbits are surprisingly unstable on long term scales.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stability_of_the_Solar_System
As an example, given enough time, Jupiter could crash Mercury into the Earth.
It would take some incredible coincidence for that to happen though there are indeed innumerable subtle affects that mess long term predictions

I think it’s more or less accepted that the planets formed much closer to the Sun and jostled quite scarily early on, leap frogging and tossing who knows what into and out of the Sun as they slowly settled into an ever more calm but never quite perfect resonance

Still, in the next billion years just about anything could happen from within or without the Solar system, so let’s chill on the king of the monkey rock bs and fund more space science!

If all goes well we got half a billion years to figure out interstellar travel, that’s plenty of time to either succeed, or fail and make room for the catfish to evolve into Klingons and try again...Earth WILL win against the void, so don’t panic, we got this

What I've heard is that the Moon is slowly drifting away indeed. At some point, in a "close" future (a few hundreds of thousands of years), full sun eclipses won't be possible anymore because of this. But I've never heard about the Moon getting closer after some point. Now I'm not specialized into this...
The consequence is that the barycenter will drift to a higher point indeed, even if the Moon will have less gravitational influence then.

I haven't watched it all, but this sounds correct to me. But even if the Earth-Moon system becomes a binary system because of its center of mass outside of Earth, that won't drastically change things.

If you want another fun fact, the center of mass of Jupiter and the Sun is above Sun's surface, so following that logic, the Sun and Jupiter should be considered as a binary system too.
Yeah it would technically be a binary system but it wouldn't be the biggest thing

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Does that mean that Jupiter and the Sun are a binary system?:rolleyes:
In a sense yes, as the center of mass is above the Sun's surface. But now it's only a matter of definition, it doesn't really change things. Nothing magical happens when the center of mass gets out of a body.
It's like Pluto being a dwarf planet instead of a planet: it didn't change anything in practice.