R.O.L Challenge! (Rover + Orbiter + Lander) as far as you can!

J

Joshsstuff

ROL Challenge.jpg

Challenge is only for the current version of SFS (v1.35) So it expires when the update v.1.4 comes out.
Reddit Challenge Post

How far can you go with 3 units: A rover and lander for the planet surface, delivered by an orbiter?

Inspired by the Apollo program. Anniversary is July 16th (which is near the current estimate of the next SFS update)

Rules:

-Use ONLY what you can make in 1 build (no outside assistance, and only the fuel you include in your build)

-Each planet (or moon) descend from the orbiter with a lander + rover.

(Not a lander with wheels, they must be separate, and the rover must drive independant of the lander)

Planet/Moon objective:

-We are detecting gravitational waves with a 2 part interferometer carried on the Rover & Lander.

-Thus, the rover must drive a distance away from the lander before it can take gravitational readings.

(there will be not 'bump and go' landings. Solid landings are needed and the craft must stay long enough to carry out the science)

(I was going to make rules about how far the rover needs to travel, but that would get boring, instead the rover must be capable of scaling a mountain, and have sustainable power (RTG or Solar))

Each planet has unique challenges to get your landing party on/off of it.

I'm working on the challenge too!

My achievements are in the picture.

However I think I can add more trips, as I was left with plenty of fuel.

I'm interested to see what unique ideas you come up with to solve problems with the environment, and limitations and bugs in SFS!

I want to make a video to show how I solved problems. If you make a video, leave a link below.

Post your results it the thread

Fly Safe and use the saves! (and clear debris function ;)

Gecko Gekkota

Former Empress of the AE
Forum Technician
View attachment 2749
Challenge is only for the current version of SFS (v1.35) So it expires when the update v.1.4 comes out.
Reddit Challenge Post

How far can you go with 3 units: A rover and lander for the planet surface, delivered by an orbiter?

Inspired by the Apollo program. Anniversary is July 16th (which is near the current estimate of the next SFS update)

Rules:

-Use ONLY what you can make in 1 build (no outside assistance, and only the fuel you include in your build)

-Each planet (or moon) descend from the orbiter with a lander + rover.

(Not a lander with wheels, they must be separate, and the rover must drive independant of the lander)

Planet/Moon objective:

-We are detecting gravitational waves with a 2 part interferometer carried on the Rover & Lander.

-Thus, the rover must drive a distance away from the lander before it can take gravitational readings.

(there will be not 'bump and go' landings. Solid landings are needed and the craft must stay long enough to carry out the science)

(I was going to make rules about how far the rover needs to travel, but that would get boring, instead the rover must be capable of scaling a mountain, and have sustainable power (RTG or Solar))

Each planet has unique challenges to get your landing party on/off of it.

I'm working on the challenge too!

My achievements are in the picture.

However I think I can add more trips, as I was left with plenty of fuel.

I'm interested to see what unique ideas you come up with to solve problems with the environment, and limitations and bugs in SFS!

I want to make a video to show how I solved problems. If you make a video, leave a link below.

Post your results it the thread

Fly Safe and use the saves! (and clear debris function ;)
That's such a great idea! Goodluck to everyone! Thus is way above my level

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Challenge accepted. I'll go for Venus first. The Orbiter can return to Earth or must stay in orbit?

J

Joshsstuff

Someone gave me the great idea to make a point system for the Challenge!
This way you can strategize just how you want to attempt the mission and build accordingly!

What is your opinion for a point system that will incent the Rover/Lander usage.

Here is my idea for the point system:
(these are place holder point values, let me know what you think the final values should be)
{I don't want someone to be able to exploit the points without doing the hard work.}

Planet/Body maneuvers:
Lander descent to surface = 10 Points
Rover descent to surface = 20 Points

Rover scales a mountain = 10 Points (this is to incent having a somewhat capable rover, sustainable power supply is still a requirement)

Lander ascent to orbiter = 30 Points
Rover ascent to orbiter = 40 points

Orbit around a 'unique planet' (not previously visited) = 5 points
{I don't want someone gaming the point system and just taking an efficient rocket around when this is supposed to be the Rover/Lander Challenge.}

Free To Play parts only = 100 points
(or should we just have it's own challenge category?)

complete all planets (and moons?) = 60 points + resets all planets as 'unique'

There should be bonus points for overcoming gravity/atmosphere on ascent, but not for descent or orbit when you can use aerobraking / parachutes to orbit or descend.

Mercury - orbit +10 descent +10
Venus - ascent +30 (I actually dropped a rover from orbit and it landed on its wheels unharmed on Venus :rolleyes:)
Earth ascent +25 Return Lander+15 Return Rover +20
Moon orbit + 5 descent +5

I'm not sure how to weight Mars' moons as they requre almost no resources to land on.
Any thoughts?

Also, I've never been to the Sun . . . Should there be any points for landing there?

Challenge accepted. I'll go for Venus first.
Good call, that's where I started! ;)

The Orbiter can return to Earth or must stay in orbit?
Well, it only takes a few parachutes to descend on a planet with an atmosphere, (and it actually saves you fuel & hassel from setting up an orbit)
So I'm not going to award any points for descending earth, however maybe points for an Orbiter ascending a planet?

It would need to be a large reward because this would require considerable effort and fuel .. . what do you think?

N

noire

I still do not understand this challenge.
can you please word it in a way so that it makes sense to a non native english speaker?

J

Joshsstuff

I'll try to simplify it.
You must have 3 things for the challenge:

1) a "Rover" (A vehicle with wheels)
2) a "Lander" (a spaceship with a 'command module')
3) an "Orbiter" (a spaceship that stays in orbit when the Rover & Lander descend on a planet/moon)

This is like the USA Apollo Space missions.
But it would be easy with SFS to just land on the moon, so the challenge is to go to as many planets/moons as you can reach with only 1 build.
(you may only use the fuel in your 1 build, no help from anything else, and no sandbox cheating obviously)

There are points for every accomplishment, so the highest total points wins.

i.e. you get
-5 points when you enter a planet's orbit,
-10 points when your 'Lander' lands on a planet/moon
-20 points when your "Rover" lands on a planet/moon

-10 points if your rover can DRIVE (not land) to the top of a 'mountain' (a 'mountain' is a hill 30 degrees or steeper)
-(Mars' moons Phobos & Deimos you cannot drive on, so they only give you orbit & landing points.)

- you also get points when you return your vehicles back into orbit.
- some planets are worth more points because they are harder, those "bonus" points are listed above.

After you have scored points on a planet/moon then you must move to a new planet/moon to score points on the next planet/moon.
(this is so you don't get points for repeating the same planet)

After you have visited ALL planets, you get 60 points AND all planets are new again (resets planets = you can score more points now)
{It is possible to get this far, it has been done and the achievements are in the picture above)

If you can bring your 3 vehicles back to earth to end your mission = 20 points (or 10 points if it is damaged)

How is that? Better?
What language do you speak? (perhaps I can translate it)

N

noire

i get what you said now, but i dont understand the order of the challenge, or more like the sense. how am i supposed to get a rover on multiple planets/moons? do i need to have engines in my rover to get it somewhere else? or just to the orbiter? or do i take the lander to the orbiter? isnt a "LANDER" supposed to land and stay there? or do i have to use the lander to pick up the rover and take it somewhere? or is the idea to have every of the 3 parts in a different place?

J

Joshsstuff

how am i supposed to get a rover on multiple planets/moons? do i need to have engines in my rover to get it somewhere else? or just to the orbiter?
This is exactly the challenge mate.
It's already been done in the 1960s
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_program

The only difference here is that you will need to take the vehicles to more than one planet. So you will need a way to get them back into orbit.

I don't want to tell you how to do the challenge, but you will need to build the capability into your vehicles OR use support adapters/boosters to land & ascend back to orbit so you can move to the next planet.

or do i take the lander to the orbiter? isnt a "LANDER" supposed to land and stay there? or do i have to use the lander to pick up the rover and take it somewhere?
I told you what a 'Lander' is above. (sure, you can leave a lander in the spot it landed in, but then you will get no more points from it)

The 'Lander' caries people in space, and the 'Rover' drives on a planet. You need them both because you are not allowed to have a 'lander' with wheels attached to get points that only the dedicated Rover is supposed to do.

or is the idea to have every of the 3 parts in a different place?
Yes, once you reach a planet.
-The Orbiter will stay in orbit and wait for the return of the crew.
-The lander will land (and later ascend so it can 'land' somewhere else)
-The rover must drive away from the lander to a mountain in order to get points (or else it only gets points for landing)

ofcourse I don't care how you do it, (this is the challenge) but you must find a way to get both vehicles back into orbit if you wish to score points on another planet/moon.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Someone gave me the great idea to make a point system for the Challenge!
This way you can strategize just how you want to attempt the mission and build accordingly!

What is your opinion for a point system that will incent the Rover/Lander usage.

Here is my idea for the point system:
(these are place holder point values, let me know what you think the final values should be)
{I don't want someone to be able to exploit the points without doing the hard work.}

Planet/Body maneuvers:
Lander descent to surface = 10 Points
Rover descent to surface = 20 Points

Rover scales a mountain = 10 Points (this is to incent having a somewhat capable rover, sustainable power supply is still a requirement)

Lander ascent to orbiter = 30 Points
Rover ascent to orbiter = 40 points

Orbit around a 'unique planet' (not previously visited) = 5 points
{I don't want someone gaming the point system and just taking an efficient rocket around when this is supposed to be the Rover/Lander Challenge.}

Free To Play parts only = 100 points
(or should we just have it's own challenge category?)

complete all planets (and moons?) = 60 points + resets all planets as 'unique'

There should be bonus points for overcoming gravity/atmosphere on ascent, but not for descent or orbit when you can use aerobraking / parachutes to orbit or descend.

Mercury - orbit +10 descent +10
Venus - ascent +30 (I actually dropped a rover from orbit and it landed on its wheels unharmed on Venus :rolleyes:)
Earth ascent +25 Return Lander+15 Return Rover +20
Moon orbit + 5 descent +5

I'm not sure how to weight Mars' moons as they requre almost no resources to land on.
Any thoughts?

Also, I've never been to the Sun . . . Should there be any points for landing there?

Good call, that's where I started! ;)

Well, it only takes a few parachutes to descend on a planet with an atmosphere, (and it actually saves you fuel & hassel from setting up an orbit)
So I'm not going to award any points for descending earth, however maybe points for an Orbiter ascending a planet?

It would need to be a large reward because this would require considerable effort and fuel .. . what do you think?
Delivering a Lander and a Rover to Mercury and Mars and returning with the Orbiter, and the Lander its Easy. I've done it. The problem is Venus. I need highly specialized ships to it and I found very difficult to do it with a Rover.

J

Joshsstuff

I've decided to Change the Rover requirement to driving 1KM.
This will satisfy the rover requirements of being capable, without making people measure angles of hills or having to land near one.
If you drive 10 Meters/ Second, for 50 seconds = 500 Meters. The return trip will be 500 Meters = 1KM.
I wanted to update the Original Post Is there any way to edit it?

J

Joshsstuff

Delivering a Lander and a Rover to Mercury and Mars and returning with the Orbiter, and the Lander its Easy. I've done it. The problem is Venus. I need highly specialized ships to it and I found very difficult to do it with a Rover.
Yes, Venus is a terror for a Rover challenge because of gravity & especially the thick atmosphere.
I quit the idea of this challenge 3 times because of Venus!
The real problem is how SFS handles fairings.
Venus requires your rover to have aerodynamics, or else you will waist a lot of fuel.
If you would like a hint on Venus, I'll tell you some of the successful ways I've beaten it.
Be sure you want a 'spoiler' first though before I reveal the secret to beating Venus ;)

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Yes, Venus is a terror for a Rover challenge because of gravity & especially the thick atmosphere.
I quit the idea of this challenge 3 times because of Venus!
The real problem is how SFS handles fairings.
Venus requires your rover to have aerodynamics, or else you will waist a lot of fuel.
If you would like a hint on Venus, I'll tell you some of the successful ways I've beaten it.
Be sure you want a 'spoiler' first though before I reveal the secret to beating Venus ;)
Let me finish off Mars and Mercury, before concentrating on 'The Big One'.

J

Joshsstuff

Let me finish off Mars and Mercury, before concentrating on 'The Big One'.
Your right about that! Venus is the "Big one"!
So, likely you will need to take the most equipment there, thus you are on the right track by making it your first destination from home.;)
I bounced back and forth between Mars and Venus while refining how I would use the pressious space on my 'mother ship'.
Both of those planets influenced what I packed for the other.

J

Joshsstuff

thank you for the video, it made it clear to me how creative it can get
im specifically talking about the modular parts
i will definetly give it a try soon
Thats great noire!
I love modular designs too, I think they are the most fun, but challenging things to do in SFS.
I've come up with some ideas that I can probably put in the 'Engineer' section of the discord after the challenge!
(That is, if they are still relevant for V1.4. I'm hoping the next update will make them obsolete.)

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Mars completed! I took a lot of screenshots. Let me see if I can download a photo editor to post them easier. Otherwise I'll post everything I have tomorrow.

J

Joshsstuff

Mars completed! I took a lot of screenshots. Let me see if I can download a photo editor to post them easier. Otherwise I'll post everything I have tomorrow.
Great!
I like the idea of a community collaboration!
Im still finding the limits of my build, when I've gone as far as I can I'm making a video.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Okay, I couldn't download the editor, So here I come with a thousand screenshots. I'll try to be as brief as possible. And again, sorry for the long reply
Image 1: takeoff and gaining altitude de

Screenshot_20180710-111930.png

Image 2: Accelerating to Enter LEO. 1st Stage detached.

Screenshot_20180710-112207.png

Image 3: After the TMI, auxiliar fuel tanks are detached. Then when entering Mars SOI the upper Fairing with the Orbiter inside is opened and the Orbiter launched.
Screenshot_20180710-113023.png

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
2nd message:

Images 4-7: Landed on Mars surface, Fairings detached and Rover deployed.
Screenshot_20180710-113547.png

Screenshot_20180710-114103.png

Screenshot_20180710-114123.png

Screenshot_20180710-203653.png

Image 8: I don't know If you can see them but the Rover on the right of the image and the Lander to the left.
Screenshot_20180710-222425.png

Images 9 and 10: the Lander takeoffs again and Enters Mars orbit. The Orbiter is in position too

Screenshot_20180710-222656.png

Screenshot_20180710-222754.png

Image 11: the Lander returns to Earth

Screenshot_20180710-223128.png

Again sorry for the long reply. I couldn't post this any othe way.

J

Joshsstuff

Best you post it in video sharing
Ok, Done! I'm trying to share it as much as I can. Can't wait to see what everyone does with this!

Okay, I couldn't download the editor, So here I come with a thousand screenshots. I'll try to be as brief as possible. And again, sorry for the long reply
Thanks for sharing Blazer!
I don't remember what the free parts are, are you "Free to play"?
If so then you only compete with other F2P players.

Let's tally up your points:
-Mars Orbit = 5 points
(I'd call the ship that brought you to mars & carried the Lander & Rover the "orbiter", so let's just say you brought 2 'orbiters lol)
-2nd Mars Orbiter = 5 points
Landing on Mars
- Lander = 10 points
-Rover = 20 points
Driving Rover 500 Meters (I'm assuming this is the far away picture . . ?)
- 10 points
Lander Returns to Mars orbit
-30 points
Lander return to Earth
-20 points

I count 100 points! (unless I missed something)

If I could give style points I would, your ships look great!
Wait until you see my vehicles, they are UUGGGLLLYYY lol. (all function, no form at all!)
Good job Blazer, so far your in the lead!