Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Well, NASA does plan to fly on Mars, to be fair.
To be honest, I'm surprised myself this can be considered viable. There is an atmosphere on Mars, but it's very very thin. The pressure is roughly the same than on Earth at 30 kilometers of altitude. Nothing can fly at such an altitude on Earth (except a rocket...). I've had a quick look, apparently the highest a drone could fly on Earth is 10 kilometers. This is impressive, but there is a factor 20 of difference in terms of pressure between 10 and 30 km... Gravity on Mars is also 3 times lower, but still, this sounds as quite a challenge. I guess they will have to use some very light materials to make this possible.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
To be honest, I'm surprised myself this can be considered viable. There is an atmosphere on Mars, but it's very very thin. The pressure is roughly the same than on Earth at 30 kilometers of altitude. Nothing can fly at such an altitude on Earth (except a rocket...). I've had a quick look, apparently the highest a drone could fly on Earth is 10 kilometers. This is impressive, but there is a factor 20 of difference in terms of pressure between 10 and 30 km... Gravity on Mars is also 3 times lower, but still, this sounds as quite a challenge. I guess they will have to use some very light materials to make this possible.
Well, a version adjusted to account for earth gravity (aka it doesn't weigh as much as the Martian version or something) was able to fly in a vacuum chamber pressurised to Martian atmosphere.
Remember, they already made it. It's attached to the rover now, and about be put in the rocket.
Now, the big question: will it be able to detach properly from the rover, once on Mars?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Well, NASA does plan to fly on Mars, to be fair.
Yeah, I know. The point isn't the use of a helicopter on Mars. The point is the article claims Mars has neither an atmosphere or gravity.
When it pretty clearly has both.

Now, the big question: will it be able to detach properly from the rover, once on Mars?
By the looks of the video I've seen on it, the detachment set up works pretty well. I don't see why it won't fly either, I'm sure they've taken the thin atmosphere into account with the design and if it doesn't work then it's not too huge a problem. The drone isn't the mission, it's more an experiment than the main event.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Yeah, I know. The point isn't the use of a helicopter on Mars. The point is the article claims Mars has neither an atmosphere or gravity.
When it pretty clearly has both.

By the looks of the video I've seen on it, the detachment set up works pretty well. I don't see why it won't fly either, I'm sure they've taken the thin atmosphere into account with the design and if it doesn't work then it's not too huge a problem. The drone isn't the mission, it's more an experiment than the main event.
yup........ thats what people know when they skipped class durin their premature school days...
And now writin an article and makin new generation more retarded......

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Maybe an ultra-light plane, not helicopter, with huge wings could gain some altitude there.
Under certain circumstances, I'd agree with you. Fixed wing aircraft are much easier to fly and have a much better performance envelope than rotary.
However, that isn't going to work in this case.
For a wing to generate lift, air has to be moving over the wings, or the wings need to be moving through the air.
"Obviously Horus, I'm fully aware how flight works"
Of course you are. I'm not questioning your knowledge of flight, more the location and situation flight is bring attempted.
An aircraft needs to hit a certain speed for the the air to move sufficiently fast enough to generate lift. There are ways of cheating this a little bit, but the fact is to attain flight, the plane is going to need to be moving already.
Where? Without a sufficient length, flat area (like a runway or similar) on the martian surface, the plane isn't going to go fast enough and thus won't fly. Or some kind of catapult similar to the ones on aircraft carriers. The other problem is that if the take off fails, or after it lands to recharge the batteries, then it might not be able to fly again, making it a one try, one shot deal.
Where as a helicopter can make the wings move faster just by throttling up and making the rotors turn quicker and because of its inherent VTOL ability, can lift and land and lift again anywhere it can set its feet down and not hit anything with the rotors.

BANDWITH

Embodiment of Made In Abyss spoilers
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
Haven’t had any SFS memes in a while, have y’all?
185F606A-51A5-416F-9E3C-8CA9325A2379.jpeg
54ECC68C-5563-424A-A7EF-4DE8C66C5506.jpeg
29C9C7EC-E734-4528-8FDF-92CA3C8128FA.jpeg
6CB08AA9-4CAE-4EFA-82C6-466AC1B1FA5D.jpeg

(100% would recommend the made in abyss Soundtrack, and the anime too)

D3C10696-C550-4D91-AB48-D9410D07D871.jpeg
CD973C64-9252-4C32-8F87-45F763A02588.jpeg
C4F485D6-CC15-4933-BB5E-30A0C26E8AF0.jpeg
20449C6F-151C-4114-8BD9-EBD1D664775E.jpeg
FA6298B1-9E9E-4112-8099-27652102F06B.jpeg
03FE342F-FA7F-493E-8C18-8C06C4B71A5F.jpeg
BBB5B818-DDB6-4466-8089-CCC85C33AF08.jpeg