Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
How do you calculate drag?
Drag = 1/2 × ρ × S × Cd × v^2

ρ = 1.225 kg/m^3 : air density. That's at 15°C at sea level (air density varies with temperature and altitude), though you can use this value, it will give you a good idea.

S = π×R^2, where R is the radius of your projectile (it's a sphere right?): cross sectional area

v: the projectile speed: 25 m/s for you.

Cd: drag coefficient. For a sphere in those conditions, you can assume it's 0.5.

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
Drag = 1/2 × ρ × S × Cd × v^2

ρ = 1.225 kg/m^3 : air density. That's at 15°C at sea level (air density varies with temperature and altitude), though you can use this value, it will give you a good idea.

S = π×R^2, where R is the radius of your projectile (it's a sphere right?): cross sectional area

v: the projectile speed: 25 m/s for you.

Cd: drag coefficient. For a sphere in those conditions, you can assume it's 0.5.
so it's 1/2 x 1.225 x πx0.003^2 x 0.5 x 25^2= ~0.005
Did I do it right?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Yes. The value seems very low indeed (I suppose that's what bothers you), but if it's applied to an object that weigh 1 gram (so 0.001 kilogram), you get a deceleration of 5 m/s^2, which is noticeable.

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
Yes. The value seems very low indeed (I suppose that's what bothers you), but if it's applied to an object that weigh 1 gram (so 0.001 kilogram), you get a deceleration of 5 m/s^2, which is noticeable.
This object weigh 0.3 gram so I don't think it would be noticeable

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
On the contrary, it has greater impact on a light object. The deceleration from drag is a=F/m. In this case the initial deceleration would be 18 m/s^2. It would decrease quickly though (because drag is proportional to v squared). A heavier object would have more inertia.

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
On the contrary, it has greater impact on a light object. The deceleration from drag is a=F/m. In this case the initial deceleration would be 18 m/s^2. It would decrease quickly though (because drag is proportional to v squared). A heavier object would have more inertia.
hmmm
interesting

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Think like this:
Imagine a constant 100 kg (which works out to approx 1000 N) push. That's enough to slowly slow down a small car. But will a semi-truck notice it?

For a given force, it will effect a lighter object more.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
0.005 N is about 0.5 g of force. Applied to a 0.3 g BB... That's like 50kg of force on a 30kg person.

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
So how fast should the BB fly to reach 25m? 43m/s?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
So how fast should the BB fly to reach 25m? 43m/s?
If your only concern is to reach a target at 25 meters then it's fine, it will just need more than 1 second.
Also, just because the initial deceleration is 18 m/s^2 doesn't mean that the speed will drop from 25 to 7 m/s in one second. As the speed decreases, drag decreases as well, so the deceleration decreases too. The distance it can travel in a given time can be calculated, but it's a bit tricky. I can do it for you if you need.

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
If your only concern is to reach a target at 25 meters then it's fine, it will just need more than 1 second.
Also, just because the initial deceleration is 18 m/s^2 doesn't mean that the speed will drop from 25 to 7 m/s in one second. As the speed decreases, drag decreases as well, so the deceleration decreases too. The distance it can travel in a given time can be calculated, but it's a bit tricky. I can do it for you if you need.
can you calculate its ballistic? Like this one
1597396063988.png

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
Anyway, this is how I'm gonna make the inside of the gun. It's kinda easy to understand how it works (I guess). If you don't understand I could build a prototype and make a stop-motion gif from it
Blue: Barrel
Orange and red: Mag parts
White: The BB (Sorry if u can't read this lol)
The other white: part of the trigger group

The other blue: Part of the firing pin (that act as a bolt carrier group)
Brown: The firing pin
Green: The old bolt carrier group (Now won't move)
Pink: trigger (the part you pull)

Grey: springs, other parts,...
Darker red: Safety selector

1597396194326.png

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
can you calculate its ballistic? Like this one
View attachment 43792
I can, but you shouldn't expect it to be very reliable, as your projectile is very light, and it will be very sensitive to variations in atmospheric pressure, wind and so on. I can't guarantee that the result will be accurate.