Which tanks are cooler

• Total voters

Soyuzturtle

«★★★» Grand Admiral «★★★» // PT
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
You know the best way to tell the difference between an M3 Grant and an M3 Lee?

Offer the crew a drink.

If they ask for a 6x cups tea, it's a Grant. If they ask for 7x coffees, it's a Lee.

That particular one is a Grant, a command version used by Monty.
If they ask for tea , they are spies because from what i know of , British tanks have a kettle standard on most moddles. I believe the story behind this is that British tankers kept getting sniped as they got out of their vehicle to get a cup of tea. I believe the tank in the photo probably had it installed because it was used in the D-day landings ( I think , it was in the D-day exhibit ) hence it was in service late in the war by which point the kettles had started to become standard.
Not sure how much of it is true but interesting nonetheless.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
It's called a boiling vessel (or BV). Nearly every combat vehicle in the British Army has them fitted, certainly every one I've been in. Although they're now called 'heating vessels' because they only take the water to 97.5 degrees centigrade 'for health and safety reasons' and thus don't actually boil water any more.
They're great cos you can not just make tea, but also cook boil in the bag rations and make hot water for washing and shaving anytime you like, even when the vehicle is moving.

Doesn't mean they won't accept a drink being made for them and saving their own brew kit though.

Also, I can 100% guarantee you that M3 did not see Normandy. For a start, it's painted sandy. Normandy may start as a beach, but the rest of the place is green. It's sandy because it served on the North Africa campaign under Monty.
Second, the Lee/Grant was obsolete almost as soon as it was produced in 1941, and by June 1944 everyone (outside of Burma) was using the far superior M4 Sherman.

Last edited:

Soyuzturtle

«★★★» Grand Admiral «★★★» // PT
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Last thing you see is a pair of googly eyes with a long nose.

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I have a (possibly) stupid question.
Why did the tiger have flat frontal arnor? Why wasn't it sloped?

T

The Dark in the Light

Earl TtTOtW To be honest, I'm not sure. But I'll do a bit of research and hopefully I'll come back with an answer before anyone else.

T

The Dark in the Light

Why didn't the Tiger tank use sloping armor? - Quora
This should answer your question. Another reason may be because sloped armour, while at certain angles increasing your overall armour, reduces gun size because the turret ring needs to fit between the sides, and a bigger gun needs a bigger turret. As for sloped front armour, 100mm was adequate enough to stop enemy shells from going through.
Another thing to read if you want a more indepth explanation: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/2av959

Last edited by a moderator:

Earl

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Why didn't the Tiger tank use sloping armor? - Quora
This should answer your question. Another reason may be because sloped armour, while at certain angles increasing your overall armour, reduces gun size because the turret ring needs to fit between the sides, and a bigger gun needs a bigger turret. As for sloped front armour, 100mm was adequate enough to stop enemy shells from going through.
Another thing to read if you want a more indepth explanation: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/2av959
Ah, thats very interesting! Thanks for the answer!

T

The Dark in the Light

Ah, thats very interesting! Thanks for the answer!
No problem! Here's the revised version as I finished just as you posted and my edit time ran out on the other post.

Reasons why German engineers decided against sloped armour on the Tiger I: It limits the gun size. The width of a tank is pretty much fixed because it can't be wider than the railway system. A bigger gun needs a bigger turret and by sloping armour inwards (like this: https://www.to-calculate.com/construction/images/slope.gif) ,you reduce the turret size as it needs to fit between the sides. Sloped armour, while increasing the amount of armour at certain angles, limits space inside the tank, and that also would greatly limit how much ammunition you could carry as the Tiger I stored ammo in the space above the tracks, the sponsons. And German tanks had a huge transmissions in the front as well as a hefty radio unit, so a sloped frontal plate would have greatly reduced the room available for those. Lastly, a sloped frontal plate would reduce move the center of gravity closer to the front and 100mm of steel was usually adequate enough to stop enemy shells.

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/2av959

Earl

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
No problem! Here's the revised version as I finished just as you posted and my edit time ran out on the other post.

Reasons why German engineers decided against sloped armour on the Tiger I: It limits the gun size. The width of a tank is pretty much fixed because it can't be wider than the railway system. A bigger gun needs a bigger turret and by sloping armour inwards (like this: https://www.to-calculate.com/construction/images/slope.gif) ,you reduce the turret size as it needs to fit between the sides. Sloped armour, while increasing the amount of armour at certain angles, limits space inside the tank, and that also would limit how much ammunition you could carry as the Tiger I stored ammo in the space above the tracks, the sponsons. And German tanks had a huge transmissions in the front as well as a hefty radio unit. Lastly, a sloped frontal plate would reduce move the center of gravity closer to the front and 100mm of steel was usually adequate enough to stop enemy shells.

Source:
https://www.reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/2av959
Thanks!

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
That and at the time the Tiger I was designed German tank thinking didn’t believe sloping helped, especially considering just how thick the frontal armour was compared to its contemporaries. If you look at german tanks before then (Pnzr I to IV) they all have very flat frontal plating.

It wasn't until the T-34 changed the game that the germans realised that sloping was the way ahead, and adopted it in future designs like the Panther, royal tiger and Maus

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
Yeah, the German also tried to copy the T-34, they didn't like it due to poor reliability and ergonomic.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Yeah, the German also tried to copy the T-34, they didn't like it due to poor reliability and ergonomic.
Yeah, a german engineer wouldn't be seen dead delivering a vehicle that had such bad craftsmanship that it leaked when it rained.

AstronautAdam

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Hey guys I have quiz question:
What tank is biggest(including ww2 projects)? I know answer but I have question for me: Know anybody else about this thingy?