LEO challenge - Real size Earth

MartianMan

ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Hi guys!

Ok, you think you masterize SFS? Time to go on a larger scale!
The challenge will be to reach LEO.

- "Wait, is that what you call a challenge?!!"
- "No no, you'll have to reach LEO with a real size Earth!"
- "Come on, It can't make such a difference!"
- "Who knows, you could be surprised!

As raising the Earth's size generates tons of problems, I managed to generate a save in which all problems are solved, but there's an easy way to do it if you want to try with your own rocket. I'll explain it in the end.

There are two files you have to use:
- the Earth.txt file is Earth modded for the challenge.
- the qks is a save file with a rocket I made for the challenge. It's on the launchpad, ready to launch, and that's a rocket with wich I managed to reach LEO, so this is possible :p

You may copy those files in the appropriate directories, but before that:
- First open SFS and make a save of your current progress
The new Earth is 20 times bigger and all your satellites, stations orbiting below 6500 km will be destroyed.
- Also, keep a copy of your original Earth.txt, in a different directory.

Once it's done, open SFS, load the save, and you're good.
The rocket on the lauchpad looks like this:
View attachment 12883
Here is how to fly it:
View attachment 12884
First, turn on all engines, and go full thrust. The three cores will run out of fuel practically at the same moment. Then, trigger all separators and turn on all engines on the second stage:
View attachment 12885
The 2 annex propellers will run out of fuel sooner, so you'll have to separate them:
View attachment 12886
Then you have 2 remaining stages, nothing special after that.

Good luck, don't hesitate to share your performance (or your counter performance :p)!
Just one tip: you'll have to reach 7850 m/s, so don't expect this to be so easy!

Now here is how to use your own rocket for the challenge.
First, you have to use the SFS Earth. Build your launcher, and click launch so that is spawns normally on the launchpad.
Delete all other ships on the map (you'll have to edit the save), and save the game.
In your savegame directory, your save is a qks file. Change the extension to .txt, and open it with a file editor. It looks like this:
View attachment 12888
The only thing you have to modify is the y coordinate of the globalPosition section:
View attachment 12889
Its initial value is a bit more than 315000. You just have to replace "315xxx" by "6400xxx" (6400 km is the new radius, 315 the old one). Don't change the rest, save the file, rename it in .qks, and it's done :)
Replace the Earth.txt by the modded file, and then you can launch SFS, and load your save.

If you build your own rocket, you can use cheats for doing some pad assembly.
When launching, "no drag" is tolerated (I set density to a low value though, so it shouldn't be a problem), but of course you can't use "no gravity" and "infinite fuel".

Good luck!
I made a big spacestation in 1:1 on pc

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I made a big spacestation in 1:1 on pc
That's nice, but it's not the same challenge as it was before. On PC version, when you play on realistic, your rockets are buffed: specific impulse is increased by 50% and so on. When we did that challenge we didn't have that buff, so it was really hard.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I would requalify this challenge to who can bring the largest payload to orbit in one flight in Realistic custom world without realistic game bonuses (playing it as normal).

Where payload is not participating in taking off, thus remains of last rocket's stage doesn't counts as weight at all and must be detached before looking for results.

Since simply uploading probe or capsule with astronaut (reaching orbit with it) is easy task, it is simple enough, it only requires a little bigger launcher.

While with this new goal (bring maximum mass to orbit) a lot of new interesting layers open up - better rockets balance between stages, better inventions for stages themselves, better aerodynamics ideas, better take-off trajectory to get more velocity for less fuel, and so on. A lot of room for creativity.