Messing Around With Deadly Forces (Docking Ports),

S

Sportgus

So me and Danny experimented a bit, also tried to get lowest acarii drive mass and area.
He showed me his drive which could lift about 20-25 tons.
We tried to make it as small as we could but we couldn't really get much smaller than his original design.
Screenshot_21.png

Although I got this which has one less port and no structs.
Screenshot_22.png

I forgot if he made a smaller or lighter one. Then I tried to do it without a probe and it comes down to this. You need atleast 8 ports to have a twr of over 1. But it will be unstable the less ports you have.
Screenshot_19.png
Screenshot_20.png

Some things Danny found was the port ranges (horizontal, vertical, and both), vertical ports are stronger when using the 0% force ports, and that the wider your drive is, the less powerful it is.

Attachments

S

Sportgus

Although Danny's drives were pretty damn strong they lacked reusability. Something I want to incorporate along with the compactness that he taught me. But I suppose his are very for LEO and Venus environments.
Something Danny mentioned is who the hell is really gonna use and learn Acarii Drives seriously. He has a good point, they are really cheaty, unstable, and annoying as hell to optimize. I guess I'm doing this to fill demotivation yap :p

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
Although Danny's drives were pretty damn strong they lacked reusability. Something I want to incorporate along with the compactness that he taught me. But I suppose his are very for LEO and Venus environments.
Something Danny mentioned is who the hell is really gonna use and learn Acarii Drives seriously. He has a good point, they are really cheaty, unstable, and annoying as hell to optimize. I guess I'm doing this to fill demotivation yap :p
Thank you, actually that is foremost the reason why they aren't reusable, I figured out how to get the strongest reaction out of a port, if I try to pull that port away by any means, it literally breaks those means.

Tis a fun gimmick, however to get one properly reusable would either mean sacrificing power, further limiting its already limited capability, or simply making it massive, and i hate it when things are not compact.
For example this is my current most powerful Acari drive, Balloon 2.0 haha . It is just about lifting its bodyweight, tell me acari drives would be lifting that mass 3 years ago and id laugh at you.
For what it can do, its extremely compact, just not reusable, I tried at its current power, it rips itself apart, though fun to see, not very useful :(
image_2022-12-18_145735854.png

S

Sportgus

Recent reusable version I made, had to get this out quickly because my phone was about to die and I wanted to put it into steam sfs.
It can lift 15t
Screenshot_25.png

Solar panels on the side are to make the middle area slide smoothly and in one place. The wheels are because letting it sit on a retracting solar panel just breaks things. Seems like they work fine at high speeds in the atmosphere and while physics time warping.
Here I got past the Karmen line without any problems, I broke it after.
Screenshot_24.png
Screenshot_23.png

Fairings and nose cones are not really needed, infinite delta v remember.
Slowly lifting 10 t
Screenshot_26.png

Thank you, actually that is foremost the reason why they aren't reusable, I figured out how to get the strongest reaction out of a port, if I try to pull that port away by any means, it literally breaks those means.

Tis a fun gimmick, however to get one properly reusable would either mean sacrificing power, further limiting its already limited capability, or simply making it massive, and i hate it when things are not compact.
For example this is my current most powerful Acari drive, Balloon 2.0 haha . It is just about lifting its bodyweight, tell me acari drives would be lifting that mass 3 years ago and id laugh at you.
For what it can do, its extremely compact, just not reusable, I tried at its current power, it rips itself apart, though fun to see, not very useful :(
View attachment 95240
Make a blimp :p

S

Sportgus

Apparently a big factor in the lag is other crafts in the world. Tried a laggy one in one of my main worlds and it wouldn't let me pause or do anything to stop it. Tried in a fresh new world and it lagged a lot but stopped completely.

S

Sportgus

110 ton lifter, you can just keep expanding ports horizontally until the game just crashes. Only downside is it lags everytime you turn it on.

Screenshot_20230204-135711.png

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I feel like making these would be somehow easier with the mod that shows magnetic range on ports

S

Sportgus

Click the docking port at the top two activate it, and make the middle section fall down using the solar panel at the top. When the middle piece is down enough it will accelerate. To deactivate it push the middle piece up using the bottom solar panel. Do not touch the side panels.
Screenshot_20230207-051404.png

Blueprint

Attachments

astromax24

Man on the Moon
Registered
Some of you may know the interesting and "buggy" behavior of docking ports in sfs (and ksp). It can be unforgiving causing massive amounts of lag or useful allowing you to accelerate infinitely without help from other parts or fuel. I'm talking about "Acarii Drives".
So basically you have a setup like this:
View attachment 93947
By force I mean magnet force. When I launch nothing happens, the 100% port is inactive because it is blocked by a struct, but I am still able to activate it. When it is activated after a few seconds the 0% port attracts to the 100% port but is blocked, causing it to continuously attract. This setup makes you accelerate in the direction of the 0% port, forever. This is scalable in most forms, more ports, more power. And separation force doesn't matter.
View attachment 93955
I don't know if this is outdated or physics changes a bit, but here is a way better explanation on Reddit from the creator of the drive: Acarii Post
A basic setup and example of an Acarii drive, More coming.
In the first image, when you say 100% force, do you mean the magnet force bp edited to 100.0 ?

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I didn't knew about this bug, that is very funny one. I made a rocket from generic default parts, no bp editing, no parts editing, no stretching, not a single clipping.

Its mass is 44 tons, it has solar panels to switch off and switch on all entire system. And it can lift up to 26 tons of payload from Earth in addition to those 44 tons of self-weight.

This can be extended in size, like 88 tons can lift 52 tons and so on, as much as blueprint space allows.

Thus BP editing is not necessary. Just set port's magnetic power to maximum allowed by it's original settings.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I didn't knew about this bug, that is very funny one. I made a rocket from generic default parts, no bp editing, no parts editing, no stretching, not a single clipping.

Its mass is 44 tons, it has solar panels to switch off and switch on all entire system. And it can lift up to 26 tons of payload from Earth in addition to those 44 tons of self-weight.

This can be extended in size, like 88 tons can lift 52 tons and so on, as much as blueprint space allows.

Thus BP editing is not necessary. Just set port's magnetic power to maximum allowed by it's original settings.
It's an ancient bug that has manifest again in the new times. Anyways isn't fun messin with acarii? :p

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
It was fun to make one working prototype, i even got to the moon with it, right stright from Earth directly to the Moon. Who needs those orbits around Earth anyway, if you have unlimited ΔV? :D

Though it was a very long trip, since time acceleration cancels magnetic propultion effect.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I improved it a little. Now entire platform weighs 57 tons, with Android module and switches to set drive on or off included. And it can upload from Earth +110 tons of cargo. Which means it has TWR nearly 3x. With not a single clipping, no BP editing, no parts editing.
1676842282809.png
1676842311892.png

New Horizons

58 AU from the Sun
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Recent reusable version I made, had to get this out quickly because my phone was about to die and I wanted to put it into steam sfs.
It can lift 15t
Could you possibly share that blueprint with me?

S

Sportgus

In the first image, when you say 100% force, do you mean the magnet force bp edited to 100.0 ?
I mean setting the max force on a docking port
Could you possibly share that blueprint with me?
Sure
Indeed, Danny challenges me to make a vanilla reusable Acarii so I used my head mush :p

S

Sportgus

This is the lightest I could get, 6.04t
Screenshot_20230314-142814.png

Screenshot_20230314-142824.png

I'm pretty sure this is the lightest possible Acarii drive with.a probe