Floater
Registered
on mobile:
IMG_0096.png
IMG_0097.png
IMG_0098.png
IMG_0099.png
IMG_0100.png

note: I probably could have landed if my transfers were more efficient and it my orbit was more efficient, but I’m not very good with the mobile controls

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Why do you use angled engines? You are basically thorwing delta-v away by reducing the effective Isp of the engines (which is really important when building an SSTO)

mariohobbs

Modder
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Why do you use angled engines? You are basically thorwing delta-v away by reducing the effective Isp of the engines (which is really important when building an SSTO)
Exactly as dio said, it looks cooler; secondly i think that the angled engines are spaced tighter together than 2 normal engines, which makes it more aero-dynamic

Darthan

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I tried a quick test using Normal difficulty on the PC version. Reached a 31/47 mars orbit with 2.18% fuel remaining (dV remaining=205m/s)

mariohobbs

Modder
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I tried a quick test using Normal difficulty on the PC version. Reached a 31/47 mars orbit with 2.18% fuel remaining (dV remaining=205m/s)
hmm, Yeah it seems it doesn't have nearly enough delta V to be a return ship; Eh the point of it was to practice making ships that look less bad anyway so good enough, the thing was only meant to be a SSTO anyways i just happened to make a bit too efficient lol

Darthan

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Try making it 2-stage, 2nd stage 25t fuel tank and valiant engine. I did a test using a rocket of the same mass and payload (actually I added a heat shield and parachute the payload was nearer 5t than 4t). First stage was SSTO (just). Reached low Mars orbit and returned to low eaath otbit and had 725m/s dV remaining. Will try a 3-stage test next.

Darthan

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
It reaches Ganymede low orbit with 712m/s remaining (not enough for a return). The three-stage version seems to be close to an optimum staging (<<all stages above each stage>>/<<all stages above + current stage>> =2.92 - close to e).
BP.PNG
Launchpad.PNG

BP link: Blueprint

Summary

128t rocket with 5t payload, Normal difficulty

Single stage Mars LO with 205 m/s remaining
2-Stage Mars LO return to LEO 725m/s remaining, first stage SSTO
3-Stage Ganymede LO with 712m/s remaining