Search results

1. Zoddmark

SFS Robots

...that, however, is nightmare fuel. Wtf Danny.
  2. Zoddmark

SFS Robots

These are cute as heck :eek:
  3. Zoddmark

Proof of concept: The infinite power of the Overhead Crane

Beat you slightly to the question :cool: Yes, so long as you decouple them temporarily and the booms are high enough.
  4. Zoddmark

I think I've forgetting how to fly rockets with all this crane business... An important note I forgot, you can't place a new build in the middle while the cranes are connected, it'll just delete the crane. I'd suggest undocking one of the boom arms then quickly exiting to the build screen...
  5. Zoddmark

This crane concept significantly changes the game compared to my other cranes so I felt it needed its own thread. The overhead crane is a simple idea, take 2 cranes and connect them together, but together they have far more capability than they are as 2. I'm not going all out on crazy amounts...
  6. Zoddmark

Heavy lifting cable crane (WIP)

Craneception (I said I was going to do it ;)) And yes, it can still drive. Very slowly but it can. I also didn't have to move the counterweight, and this very far away+awkward shape is probably the trickiest kind of thing to lift. I spent so much time on this today, i'll wait till tomorrow to...
  7. Zoddmark

I present, Atlas mk.I. The main section is a 2-build assembly with a 3rd build for the cable extension. More detailed info on its lifting capabilities and blueprints to come after testing is finished. Thanks to @Danny Batten for helping to improve the design. :)
  8. Zoddmark

2-Axis crane (based on Zoddmarks crane link in thread)

Ouch. Sorry my dude :(
  9. Zoddmark

This for me? I've got it figured out now. Mass wasn't really the issue.
  10. Zoddmark

So the uh... new crane is coming along. I decided I didn't want my crane to need to be assembled in zero gravity like my other one, so I'm making the most of things to get as tall and far reaching as possible. Part of the counterweight and extra wheels however will need to be a 2nd build...
  11. Zoddmark

I'm not sure what you mean by making it fall, but I haven't had any issues with it. I've been able to dock it, undock, drive it to a different position and dock it again just fine so far.
  12. Zoddmark

Wait till you see the next one... it's a monster :p I really didn't like the look of the moving counterweight in a box setup so I'll be moving over to a rail: Like the other one a solar panel lifts the weight to dock for stability. In the final version I'll be able to attribute a weight limit...
  13. Zoddmark

Well whaddya know, The duel reverse landing legs did the trick. Raising is the same as always with the two landing legs on the bottom, but for lowering, the landing leg at the top is alway extended to keep the cable locked in place when undocked and the 2nd landing leg from the top will push...
  14. Zoddmark

I've got a better version of the raising and lowering mechanism, and funnily enough the only thing I was missing was one more landing leg. The rcs suggested by Danny was also useful because on a very rare occasion, if I used solar panels with a heavy load the cable would slip off the lowering...
  15. Zoddmark

So I've tried out the docking port cable and rcs slowdown method you added, and it works for a time, but even without weights it still very frequently hits the perfect angle and falls straight down, gaining enough speed to destroy the docking ports.Has it worked fine for you? Also, is there a...
  16. Zoddmark

Phooey. Well, if this is something newish I'm curious what people might be able to accomplish with it. A full sized Starship being craned onto a falcon super heavy like in the animations would look pretty good :p I think I'll make it a goal to make a version of this crane that can lift the...
  17. Zoddmark

I've made an addition. An adjustable counterweight at the top of the crane (could be at the bottom too, but it looks cooler at the top) Now, if I try and lift this 360t weight with the weight in its right position, things go bad: But if I move it to the right: Tada! It will have a hell...
  18. Zoddmark

You guys really went to down to try and solve the cable lowering problem I had. edit: Nvm on the indestuctability thing, I was looking at the wrong post o_O This is something I was considering, but it made the crane being modular much more difficult. Having docking points on the bottom to...
  19. Zoddmark

You mean an rcs powered brakepad or something? Or... actually this has given me a few ideas that need testing. I really do want a better way to lower it, the landing leg way is very risky and not the most precise. And if I can help it I want to see if there's a good way of doing it without the...
  20. Zoddmark

I wanted to try something new for a change, something reusable maybe. But I don't have any assembly machines so I'm trying to figure out a crane that can hoist big payloads onto a booster. This is an extremely work-in-progress build, it has a lot of problems that still need figuring out. This...
  21. Zoddmark

Odyssey Career Mode

It would be too many pictures for 1 post so here's a second update. The science solar probe for what is the Parker Solar Probe mission had another strong assist from Earth to get within 200000km of the sun: At this point I couldn't see any good assist lined up and I had a LOT of dv still...
  22. Zoddmark

Odyssey Career Mode

Been busy with other things so not much time for SFS, but today I got my Martian P2 rocket launched to complete Mars missions 5 & 6, Deimos 2 & 3 and Phobos 2 & 3: The frontier engine stays on for the transfer to Mars, but after that the craft splits into 4 parts. The frontier engine and tank...
  23. Zoddmark

Odyssey Career Mode

Okay... I'm going to admit that I've never attempted to drive a rover on Phobos or Deimos before. Now that I have in my testing I see now that it's completely pointless and shouldn't be a mission. I'm going to have to rewrite them. Combine it with the science probe lander mission but add a...
  24. Zoddmark

Odyssey Career Mode

12 is the limit. I have had to cut down the screenshots on some of these posts >_>
  25. Zoddmark

Odyssey Career Mode

Brace for progress dump. The Jupiter relay satellites only just now reached its destination and are put into a 2/3 resonance orbit: And right afterwards, Mercurian P1 reaches Venus for its gravity assist. The fuel tank that was ditched after leaving Earth is also reaching Venus on a collision...