Search results

1. D

RCS Challenge

If you have the time, go ahead and look through that study. They mention that passive solutions (including the multiple rigging lines they cite as most effective for high altitudes) are generally lighter than active stabilization, Out of curiosity, how much does your RCS system weigh? Also...
  2. D

RCS Challenge

My first thought was de-spin weights or a long boom for more rotational inertia. Both should smooth things out somewhat, though if there's a consistent disturbance in a certain direction, either one could eventually accumulate a high rotation rate as well. So some kind of damping, either active...
  3. D

RCS Challenge

That's really awesome. I feel like there's probably a simpler, passive solution, but considering this came out of Huntsville I guess it's no surprise you turned to rockets to solve your problem. :cool:
  4. D

When the moon gets in thy way

There's a third option here, which SPQRALAN is almost set up to do (though probably not precisely enough for it to pay off). You could start off with an escape trajectory that takes you almost to Venus, using Oberth effect to get you most of the way there, and then use a single lunar flyby on...
  5. D

Delta-V map concept

Look again. The grid-style map contains information that the “global” map does not. For instance, if you want to perform a direct transfer from Venus to Mars, the delta-V cost (from Venus C3 to Mars flyby/aerocapture) will be 326 m/s as can be easily seen in the grid-style chart (or, 926 m/s...
  6. D

Delta-V map concept

I actually do like this one better. It's not THAT confusing, and I love that it includes direct transfers between each planet without having to stop at Earth. I only wish that it could somehow contain information on moons as well.