Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
After so much waiting, finally, the so much wanted version is coming!
In the end, we would have played more than one and half a year with the 1.4, and even if it had its drawbacks, even if sometimes we were pissed at some of it bugs (the damn infinite RCS glitch, the f***ing bugged aerodynamics...), we all accomplished great things under this version.

Before we definitely close this chapter, it's time to remember the most epic moments it brought to us.

Here are my most memorable missions:

The galilean Tour

It tends to be forgotten, but one of the most famous things SFS 1.4 brought us was Jupiter, the solar system was limited to Mars until then. So it appeared natural to visit that whole new system.

I did this thanks to that powerful ship, relying on the mighty power of ion engines:
Screenshot_20180916-125926_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180916-130418_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20180916-152902_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Those were 4 totally new worlds to explore, and those fly-bys above Io's roaring volcanoes, the frozen expanses of Europa, the rough and desolated landscape of Ganymede, and the mysterious plains of Callisto were unforgettable.

That's why I had to go there a second time. Without the ion engines this time, the trip was a lot more tricky, but still epic:
Screenshot_20181002-190808_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

The Grand Tour

Of course, the galilean trip in itself is quite a challenge, but the most emblematic is the Grand Tour of course.
01-lift off.jpg

That launcher, the Trident, while it looks quite heavy and bulky, is actually extremely optimised as it allowed to visit all landable bodies in complete autonomy in one lauch with only chemical engines.
The use of crazy trajectories and multiple acrobatics was definitely the key to ever have a chance to fullfill this challenge.

By far my most technical mission in terms of navigation.

The challenges

Of course there were a lot of challenges too.
From the most epic, I remembered that fun one where you had to go anywhere with grasshopers only:
Screenshot_20190502-224713_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
That thing managed to land on Mercury and come back to Earth.

The Icarus dive, by Blazer

A pure delta-V challenge that consisted in achieving the lowest possible orbit around the Sun, without aerobraking, without ion engines.
Screenshot_20190615-145625_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20190615-150105_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
That baby did better than Parker solar probe

The Alpha Centauri challenge by Johnkurveen

It would be who would reach the greater Sun escape velocity.

That racer is still on its way to our closest neighbour:
Screenshot_20190113-222854_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20190113-235504_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20190114-005618_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

By the way, it's to be noticed that Johnkurveen made an honorable performance despite playing only with stock game, without the expansion.

The Jovian gateway

That was initially an entry to the great Hall of Fame contest that happened last year.
A huge space station in Jupiter orbit to house a decent crew that would act as a local command center and a great supply storage for manned missions in the jovian system:

01-main view.jpg 02-nuclear reactors.jpg 08-quasi orbit.jpg 09-quasi orbit1.jpg

It was finally placed in a quasi-satellite configuration with Europa: Despite not being in Europa's SOI, it would feel like it still rotates around Europa.

Fully built without cheat or bp-editing, it was finally sent from LEO on a VEEGA trajectory, slowed down with a couple assists from Ganymede, and finally accurately placed in its final position.

By far the heaviest build I ever did o_O

Jupiterized!

In a way I still can't explain, the Earth has been suddenly morphed into Jupiter, and that crazy challenge consisted in trying to escape it. It was not easy to reach an orbital velocity of more than 9 km/s, with a gravity of 2.5 g, but hopefully with no drag.
The Spartan was born:
Screenshot_20200317-002730_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200317-002208_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
It was hard but it managed the impossible!

The foolish challenge

How long would you manage to play if there was no time-warp in SFS? Well, that ship did it to Mars and back under those conditions:
Arrival_0104.png
Or did it? After 6 months of trip, it finally came back to Earth... On April 1st.

The least serious challenge I did, but still one of those I prefer :p

That's over, now that's a new chapter that begins!

Your turn guys, let's remember one last time your exploits!

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
well the title says "long live 1.4!" after saying 1.4 is dead
Ah, I thought I mispelled something.
That's a reference to a famous sentence: "The king is dead, long live the king!"

Jez 10

Local Expert Pinoy
ET phone home
Floater
Man on the Moon
Registered
I am away from my wifi... I won't be able to update my SFS today...

But still, atleast I yet to create a grand tour! I still have time!

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
1.4 was brilliant

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
THE DRAG GLITCH IS DEAD! LONG LIVE DRAG!

Epic moments of 1.4? Hmmmmm.
  1. The SFS Community competition. Except for any of Danny Battens entries.
  2. Grasshopper love, with Hoppy, the smallest grasshopper powered launch vehicle of all time and so majestic that it made a certain member spit out his tea.
  3. That oh cock moment halfway across the solar system during the drop pod era.
  4. Blunderbirds are Go
  5. Operation Pacman in low lunar orbit
Then there are ones from members that aren't on as much anymore. The self made career mode and Atlas crane system from Zoddmark, pretty much anything Minpercent posts, Moonwalker Industries feeble attempts at making large space stations.

Bananas

Mr. Nice Moderator
Registered

2. Grasshopper love, with Hoppy, the smallest grasshopper powered launch vehicle of all time and so majestic that it made a certain member spit out his tea.
  4. Blunderbirds are Go
  5. Operation Pacmanin low lunar orbit
Then there are ones from members that aren't on as much anymore. The self made career mode and Atlas crane system from Zoddmark, pretty much anything Minpercent posts, Moonwalker Industries feeble attempts at making large space stations.
Oh my god I smashed my head on the wall because of all his entries.

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Ah yes, the 1 year 4 month time i spend developing ACSS in 1.4... Wait a second, did you realised something?

4. Blunderbirds are Go
  5. Operation Pacmanin low lunar orbit
Who's Danny Battens? What'd he do?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Danny has made more landing gear than there were people begging for 1.5 to be released.
Haha, I remember Horus judging the Hall of Fame contest, and complaining "Uh, yet another landing leg concept from Danny..."

He should have writen a book:
"50 shades of landing leg" - Danny Batten

Last edited:
Man it's been forever since I was on SFS. Hello again!

I still think my favorite part of 1.4 was the three-part rocket to land on the moon and safely return. Maybe I'll have to give that a try sometime with the new update!

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Haha, I remember Horus judging the Hall of Fame contest, and complaining "Uh, yet another landing leg concept from Danny..."

He should have writen a book:
"50 shades of landing leg" - Danny Batten
Where that there was only 50 versions.

tenor.gif

Yeah man, you're back! Staying long?