A Normal Satellite

TrenchRabbit

Man on the Moon
Registered
TwR is Far too high for such a small rocket. Increase the Fuel remove the outermost booster replace the Hawks on the 1st Stage with 2 Frontiers. Remove all the RCS except for payload It just causes drag. And for decoration points add a fairing around the satellite.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
TwR is Far too high for such a small rocket. Increase the Fuel remove the outermost booster replace the Hawks on the 1st Stage with 2 Frontiers. Remove all the RCS except for payload It just causes drag. And for decoration points add a fairing around the satellite.
You'll find replacing the frontiers for hawk is a better option.

Apologies if you're getting mess around advice wise.

Swap the first stage engines (all the frontiers in the core and boosters) with hawk. Make the boosters smaller so the dont burn for longer than the first stage. You can also go down to 2 frontier on the second stage as it'll weigh less than 200t by that point.
Once you've done that, you can make the second stage narrower, attach the boosters to stage one, this allows you to get rid of the structure parts and the flat areas of the rocket and apply aerodynamic savings to your Dv budget as well.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Actually 1.2-1.7 is the optimal range.

1.18 is too Low, you'll waste energy fighting gravity. Yes, I know the Saturn V had 1.14 but it fixed it with just more fuel.
Well now I gotta fiddle with it...

Looks like a goose :D
02D35971-4912-4AFD-80A5-0C4F70671FA1.png
First try took out a hawk dropping the first stage so I raised the boosters
940BB9D2-D836-44BB-91FE-39843633888E.png
Not sure if the fairing is sealed like that but the design occurred to me
5327C659-C960-4178-8E87-7BCC5DDF7BAA.png
This thing could go to the moon!
Really the boosters could just as well be timed and dropped with the first stage, but nice

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Well now I gotta fiddle with it...

Looks like a goose :D
View attachment 35695 First try took out a hawk dropping the first stage so I raised the boosters View attachment 35697 Not sure if the fairing is sealed like that but the design occurred to me View attachment 35696 This thing could go to the moon!
Really the boosters could just as well be timed and dropped with the first stage, but nice
In SFS, is actually hard to design something that CAN NOT go to the Moon.

JSP

The Lord President of Gallifrey.
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
In SFS, is actually hard to design something that CAN NOT go to the Moon.
I can make rockets that can't so it is hard but not impossible :)

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I can make rockets that can't so it is hard but not impossible :)
Well yeah, if you put a grasshopper under a 5t tank then no, you're not gonna make it.

Aside from that, multi-stage one way lunar rockets are almost impossible not to create.

Take a broadsword, add fuel until the TWR reads 1.01. Then place a hawk down and add fuel until it says 1.2.

That will get you onto the moon. And probably back as well.

The game only becomes challenging if you want to move a payload there.

The main reason you are building rockets that can't get to the moon is you're adding too many engines and not enough fuel.

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
That's one reason the other reason is I design my rockets in different ways one if I want them to get to the moon and beyond or not I use more fuel to get from beyond earth orbit if I want to stay in earth orbit I will use 2 stages if I want to get to the moon or beyond I use 3/4 stages

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
That's one reason the other reason is I design my rockets in different ways one if I want them to get to the moon and beyond or not I use more fuel to get from beyond earth orbit if I want to stay in earth orbit I will use 2 stages if I want to get to the moon or beyond I use 3/4 stages

2 stages should get you to LEO

I normally go 4 stages if you include the payload as a stage. The third handles the injection/orbital circulation burn and the 4th is the thing I'm delivering which usually has some fuel / propulsion for landing / orbit adjustment depending on task

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I do the same but when I had my own type of rocket back in the 1.2 update I had a 4th stage to do the lunar orbit insertion because my 3rd stage was emptied

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I do the same but when I had my own type of rocket back in the 1.2 update I had a 4th stage to do the lunar orbit insertion because my 3rd stage was emptied
I've kinda moved away from having a one shot fits all rocket design. I tend to build bespoke every time I create a payload. Takes a bit of time, but you don't get any nasty surprises

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
I've kinda moved away from having a one shot fits all rocket design. I tend to build bespoke every time I create a payload. Takes a bit of time, but you don't get any nasty surprises
Wait until Stef adds a cost to R&D :p

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Does anyone know when TtTOtW will be online becaus I've been waiting all-day to send him the video of our joint mission

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Why does he have to be online for you to send it to him

Did he ask you to specifically send it to him

JSP

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Why does he have to be online for you to send it to him

Did he ask you to specifically send it to him
He said he would upload a video of him sending something to space then I would dock with it so I recorded it and I'm waiting for him to upload the video then I will send it to him