Actually Complete Solar System 2.0 - Development Thread

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Hello and welcome to the Actually Complete Solar System 2.0 deveploment thread!
and yes i'm out of retirement after a year or two

First up i'd like to detail the plans. I might introduce enough changes to make the older ACSS threads obsolete, which is why the ACSS 2.0 threads are separate. (Just like i planned years ago... haha)

OPTIMIZATION:
- The complete rewriting of ACSS itself from scratch. That means some objects might dissapear completely for a few updates as the pack is fully rebuilt from the ground up.
- Unique planetary textures are now only applied to objects whose surfaces we know. A theme of the new ACSS is accuracy and realism, which includes the texture avaliability. There will be some liberties (eg. dwarf planets and poorly mapped moons), but the vast majority of objects will only have generic textures based on their types.

UPGRADES:
- Heightmaps! After a bit of a distinct lack of terrain for the last few lost releases, terrain will finally return! And its custom terrain made specifically for ACSS 2.0 from real data, if avaliable.
- Cloudy orbits! Now eccentricity and orbital orientation finally exist in ACSS 2.0. Perish, Comet ISON!
- Accurate colors for all objects, when avaliable. Exactly what it says on the tin.

DISTRIBUTION:
- Separately developed PC/Steam and Mobile versions are in prep, as well as SFS, IRSS, and RSS scale versions.
- Abolishment of the package system. Because we would be screwed either way, eh?
- ACSS Extrasolar is now split into its own pack (Nearby Worlds). Its not the solar system, why did i include it in ACSS...

UPDATES:
- All orbits in ACSS 2.0 will be using Find_Orb for orbital determination. This is to ensure maximum accuracy for all objects, and enable dynamic updates when new observations arrive for then.
- Epoch1950 will be used for all Solar System objects. If an orbit is not precise enough at Epoch1950, I'm personally willing to narrow the orbit down further if possible.
- The sole exceptions are minor planet moons (with the exception of Pluto's lunar system), planets (and the Moon), and irregular moons.
- For minor planet moons, the "mean anomaly" (in whatever way i pull off in SFS) will be extrapolated to Epoch1950.
- For planets and our Moon, JPL HORIZONS will be used for orbit determination.
- For the irregular moons of gas giants, mean orbital elements will be used, due to their chaotic nature.
- Former ACSS Extrasolar systems (now in Nearby Worlds) will use orbits derived from Gaia Data Release 3. Again, for maximum accuracy in your infinitely interstellar journeys that take Megameters/s of ∆V.

For now, that's it. But more will come as i rebuild and then develop the pack!

...did i say "i rebuild and then develop"? Nah my friends... i've saved the best for last: ACSS 2.0 is now a community project, due to its sheer scope! And now anyone can contribute to the pack in our journey to add the entire solar system in SFS...

Cheers,
Gurren Lagann!

yonkee

Queen of Awesome
Staff member
Team Kolibri
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
MOTY 2022
It looks like the download file is missing, if this is a discussion thread I can move it to SFS discussion, but it needs the download file for it to be posted in this section

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
No, it's fine as it's a development thread. Theres precedents for that. :)

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
All good custom worlds which i saw had many good features, like super nice textures, accurate realistic orbits, nice terrain/surface details/shapec, the and sheer quantity of objects in solar system.

But all of those worlds had the same flaw - atmosphere there was very unrealistic on all planets. They just copied atmospheric values from default world or set it without too much concideration for new objects (like Titan or Neptune), with very unrealistic behavior.

From all custom worlds i saw, the only one custom world had much more realistic and quality atmospheric settings for planets - it was IRIS (link). But IRIS is small, there is no Jupiter or higher planets, though it has Ceres after Mars.

Thus, if you will also spend some time for making good high quality atmospheric settings in your world - this will make your custom world much better. For example there was a discussion with more details: link.

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Good thinking Catalyst! This is also important even to the extremely diffuse atmospheres of some solar system moons.
I'm gonna try accurately applying it to ACSS 2.

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
All good custom worlds which i saw had many good features, like super nice textures, accurate realistic orbits, nice terrain/surface details/shapec, the and sheer quantity of objects in solar system.

But all of those worlds had the same flaw - atmosphere there was very unrealistic on all planets. They just copied atmospheric values from default world or set it without too much concideration for new objects (like Titan or Neptune), with very unrealistic behavior.

From all custom worlds i saw, the only one custom world had much more realistic and quality atmospheric settings for planets - it was IRIS (link). But IRIS is small, there is no Jupiter or higher planets, though it has Ceres after Mars.

Thus, if you will also spend some time for making good high quality atmospheric settings in your world - this will make your custom world much better. For example there was a discussion with more details: link.
I'd say that realism isnt necessary for a planet pack to be great, orthodox systems get a little boring after a while and most often making something that just works, and isnt 1:1 with realism can produce great results. An example of that would be Eternia, one of the cult classics of planet packs.

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Status update. I'm currently getting the new foundation done, gathering data sources and accurate parameters for each and every part of the pack.
I've also been looking for accurate atmospheric parameters for solar system objects. There's still some i'm missing.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I'd say that realism isnt necessary for a planet pack to be great, orthodox systems get a little boring after a while and most often making something that just works, and isnt 1:1 with realism can produce great results. An example of that would be Eternia, one of the cult classics of planet packs.
I mistakenly thought Eternia works only for 1.4 versions of SFS, since i saw a topic with Eternia 2 and it works only in 1.4.

But now i see there is original Eternia 1 remade for 1.5 SFS and i like to try this one, if you are praising it that much.

Cresign

TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I mistakenly thought Eternia works only for 1.4 versions of SFS, since i saw a topic with Eternia 2 and it works only in 1.4.

But now i see there is original Eternia 1 remade for 1.5 SFS and i like to try this one, if you are praising it that much.
I'll be honest to say that i havent really played it outside of couple small tries, it is however very well known amongst majority of Forum community so i assume it deserves that.

I'm so excited for the new update! I hope that there will be eliptical orbits because every time I try to install the ACSS pack anywhere, it shows with either an error not allowing me to play, or non eliptical orbits. And I hope the new update can run better on my device. Thanks for this beautiful system pack!

J3 Mângo

Planet Sculptor
Copycat
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Eccentric orbits would be great! But it will take about a day to give ~300+ planet files eccentric orbits

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Wow! ACSS is ignited again! Looking forward for the release dude!

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Just finished compiling all known solar system atmospheres. Now i just need to get their compositions, convert their pressures to densities, then start up the ACSS datasheet to finally rebuild the entire pack from scratch...
As i noted previously, some objects MAY be missing when the betas and even the full release are out. Its hard to keep track of over 300 objects...

Cresign

TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Just finished compiling all known solar system atmospheres. Now i just need to get their compositions, convert their pressures to densities, then start up the ACSS datasheet to finally rebuild the entire pack from scratch...
As i noted previously, some objects MAY be missing when the betas and even the full release are out. Its hard to keep track of over 300 objects...
Very nice! How many objects did you get atmo data for?

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
Very nice! How many objects did you get atmo data for?
Somewhere around 25 of then. They include all 8 planets, all 5 dwarf planets besides Haumea, our Moon, all 4 gallilean moons, 4 of Saturn's moons, Titania, Triton, and Charon.

Also you can help yourself by copying accurate orbits data from that nice custom world:
Complete Solar System , With Accurate Orbits
While that pack is really neat and all, i've detailed pretty well how I'm going to get their orbits in the updates section of the OP.

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
...phew, the atmospheres are done. To give an idea of how beastly the calculations are, i made an entire sheet just for the atmospheres!
1678281447449.png

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Gurren Lagann what do you think about this one?

Could you copy or integrate planet's data and texture from there into ACSS 2? That would be epic!
All links are in video description there.

Cresign

TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Gurren Lagann what do you think about this one?

Could you copy or integrate planet's data and texture from there into ACSS 2? That would be epic!
All links are in video description there.
I asked the creator once if i could incorporate his Earth into my planet pack, his response was that he wants it to stay only as a standalone planet pack. He most likely wont have permission, and besides, i think being completely original would be better. This planet pack is also about realism, the Earth texture here is imaginary.

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
I actually had this pack recommended before! As Cresign said, its highly unlikely that i can get permission for it. Even if i did, i wouldn't like to intergrate the pack out of respect to the EarthOverhaul team.