Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Yeah, it's not about fuel percentages saved, it's Dv saved.
Exact, saved fuel will depend on your design. On a small ship it could be very little fuel in absolute. I don't remember exactly the value, but it's around 500 m/s. As is this doesn't sound very impressive, but for heavy ships with high delta-V requirements that makes quite a difference.

Here is an example:
Screenshot_20200619-070528_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200619-070638_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

The ship on the left has 3500 m/s of delta-V (I only consider the main stage, the lander is considered the payload), the ship on the right has 3000 m/s. Those 500 m/s of difference means 42.5 tons of fuel here, more than 20% of the overall mass.

And because you'll have to place that part on LEO first, it also means that the whole launcher will be lighter too. A launcher lighter by 20% just thanks to VEEGA is quite appreciable.

In this last chapter, I'll show you a gravity assist combination that allows to reach Jupiter more efficiently than via a direct transfer. This combination is known as the VEEGA path ("Venus Earth Earth Gravity Assist"), and had been used in real life by the Galileo probe.

For this, I'll use this ship below, parked in LEO at the beginning of the mission:
View attachment 9413
It looks quite small but bulky for such a mission right? If you try to reach Jupiter with a direct transfer burn, this is what you will end up with:
View attachment 9414
The mission will fail.

We will now try this technique out:

The VEEGA path

Level: TRICKY

So for this technique, our first target is Venus:
View attachment 9415 View attachment 9416

As for the previous trip to Mercury, I didn't burn in the transfer window, but after it. As you can see I burnt after the transfer window. This is very important, otherwise you will not be able to raise your orbit later on.

This time, aim for a prograde fly-by, with your periapse close to the atmosphere line.
Then when you enter Venus' SOI, set the Earth as a target, and adjust your trajectory so that you encounter Earth again:
View attachment 9417
You may be able to do this by only adjusting the periapse.

Ideally, your periapse above Earth should be around 250 km. Then time-warp until you enter the Earth's SOI:
View attachment 9418
Now, you must adjust your perihelion so that your "perihelion + aphelion" value is equal to 10959.6 Mm. This generally happens when your aphelion is around 8335 Mm, so you can first aim for that, and then make the necessary adjustments.
If you do not match the exact value, you may have to perform a small correction later. This is affordable, but obviously, it's better to be as close as possible.

This value is important because it ensures that you'll meet Earth again after 2 laps. The closest approach line mechanism won't anticipate that, so it's better to rely on a pre-calculated value.

After 2 turns you encounter Earth again:
View attachment 9419
Ideally, before entering the Earth's SOI, you should adjust your periapse so that it's around 600 km.
Now, the objective is to set the aphelion of your exiting trajectory at 16200 Mm.

OK, now we are on a transfer trajectory to Jupiter. When you reach the aphelion, burn prograde to raise your perihelion to 3000 Mm. This will ensure you won't meet Earth again (you still have to watch out for Mars though), and you'll get slightly closer to Jupiter every 2 turns, until you get an encounter:
View attachment 9420 View attachment 9421 View attachment 9422
Now compare this with the fuel consumed on a direct transfer burn, you'll immediately notice the impressive amounts of fuel saved.

In case you get an encounter with Mars in the process, you may just slightly modify your trajectory to avoid it (if you do it early enough this will cost practically nothing), and come back to your initial trajectory after one turn, once the "danger" has passed.

This trajectory will save around 400-500 m/s, which is quite valuable with a heavy ship.
Used this for a successful mission to all four Jovian moons and back.
Had to do a hot aerobrake into Terra but landed with 0.02% fuel remaining!

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Now let me revive this thread

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Now this is important

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Something I heard on another forum:
Nobody reads the pinned threads.:p

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Something I heard on another forum:
Nobody reads the pinned threads.:p
Yeah, which is stupid cos they're pinned for a damn reason.

Especially this thread. This and the delta-V maps are some of, if not the most important posts on this forum.

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I’m sorry that time I was sleepy so that I haven’t notice this thread. Sorry for not noticing this thread

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Maybe we should pin all ban appeals then. Except rayman's one of course :p
Or pin everything on the entire forum. No one will find anything then.

Except Raymans brother. He'll shine like a new penny wherever he goes.

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Or pin everything on the entire forum. No one will find anything then.

Except Raymans brother. He'll shine like a new penny wherever he goes.
I like Rayman’s brother

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
This mistake was made because I enter this thread directly without noticing it was PINNED, now I won’t revive any thread if I don’t look clearly at it

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
BOT please, let’s keep debating about the gravity assist :)
Yes, please, top talking about this, I don't want to talk about this again

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Thread moved to SFS General Discussions. Although it was originally designed for SFS 1.4, the basic principle of a gravity assist, and the basic concepts related to it, that are explained here, apply in any universe that follows the Newtonian physics.

So yeah, these tutorials also work for SFS 1.5 and beyond.