Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
Many large kiloton launchers I’ve seen tend to angle their rockets, is that good because to me it seems like half the thrust of the rocket would be lost if the engine pointed 45* is that true or is there something im missing?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
You lose thrust, but not as much as you probably expect. When an engine is turned by an angle α, its vertical thrust is equal to total thrust multiplied by cos(α). For small values of α, cos(α) is close to 1, so the losses are not much. You can notice it with the Taylor approximation for small angles:
cos(α) = 1 - α²/2
α must be expressed in radians (1 rad ≈ 57.3°)

Take this cool and beautiful launcher for example:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-07-27-22-36-12.jpg

The engines are angled by 15°, and cos(15°) is approximately equal to... 0.966. So in the end, the loss is about 3.4% only :)

If you angle them by 45°, the loss would be much more noticeable though, at 29.3% :eek:

Last edited:

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Many large kiloton launchers I’ve seen tend to angle their rockets, is that good because to me it seems like half the thrust of the rocket would be lost if the engine pointed 45* is that true or is there something im missing?
As the person who made (probably) the largest rocket with angled engines, you don't lose as much thrust as you would expect
If they were angled by 10 degrees, you only lose 1.5% of your thrust, which is quite minimal. It's also not too difficult to get them to be angled at 10 degrees.

You can see it on my kiloton launcher Ragnarok
WhatsApp Image 2024-04-09 at 11.25.41.jpeg

With the combination of slaced and angled engines, I can achieve an average engine angle of less than 10 degrees, which results in very neglibile losses