Antarctic engineering

Soyuzturtle

«★★★» Grand Admiral «★★★» // PT
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Antarctica is undoubtedly the most unforgiving environment on the planet so the equipment , vehicles and buildings that are brought there have to be able to stand up the relentless conditions. This thread is for sharing examples of engineering in Antarctica that are interesting , whether they failed or not. Enjoy your read :)

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I'm going to start this thread of with the Soviet Kharkovchankas. These were large tracked tractors were entirely self contained environments where a crew of 8 could live for months on end. They were based on the T-54 tank , the chassis was extended and a 995hp engine were fitted to the vehicles. 3 of these were made and were very successful , one of them ( number 22 rather confusingly ) is still in service today. The over two are believed to have been canabalized to keep 22 in service.
IMG_20200719_232940.jpg
IMG_20200719_232927.jpg

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I'm going to start this thread of with the Soviet Kharkovchankas. These were large tracked tractors were entirely self contained environments where a crew of 8 could live for months on end. They were based on the T-54 tank , the chassis was extended and a 995hp engine were fitted to the vehicles. 3 of these were made and were very successful , one of them ( number 22 rather confusingly ) is still in service today. The over two are believed to have been canabalized to keep 22 in service. View attachment 42058 View attachment 42059
Ah cyka blyat power of T-54

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Speaking of Soviet supplies and equipment, don’t forget novocaine, scalpel, a mirror, and suturing supplies. In case you, you know, have to remove your own appendix like Leonid Rogozov.

View attachment 42060
If he is only operatin himself where the hecc are the other vodka bois??
and don't forget don't cut the cecum....
:3 :3

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
(sorry this is a long one )Here is an American vehicle to balance out all this Soviet equipment. The Antarctic snow cruiser was a wheeled vehicle used in Byrd's second Antarctic expedition. The snow cruiser featured living room for 5 people , a small airplane for exploration , a photographic dark room and onboard equipment to change tires without needing to leave the vehicle. The vehicles two fatal flaws were the fact that it used smooth balloon tires to stop them getting stuck in snow which let the cruiser to not have any friction on ice and that while it weighed 34000kg , it only used two 150hp engines and so was abandoned in 1940. Many people say it should have been abandoned before it even went to Antarctica because it ran of the road and became stuck on the way to its ship. In the next few decades the cruiser was spotted occasionally under multiple layers of ice and snow , marked by a bamboo pole. In the 60s an Antarctic ship saw the little America 3 station ( the station where the cruiser was abandoned ) buried in the side of a drifting iceberg. So today , it is probably lying at the bottom of the Antarctic sea. Comrades , it seems the Soviets have beat the Americans on this one.
IMG_20200720_094618.jpg
IMG_20200720_094600.jpg