Anti-Challenge: Moon Ring

As one of the few people who has made a structure fully encompassing a stock body, using stock parts and stock cheats, I am declaring an anti-challenge.

What that means: It is possible to surround a stock body with a spacecraft (only for Phobos and Deimos), but since I have done it, I am declaring all challenges on the same topic void. We know it can be done, and don't let me stop you from doing it yourself, but no posting it as a challenge for other people to do.

Why am I doing this? Popular request- it's a waste of time to do such a thing and doesn't make for a good challenge. Instead of challenging any type of skill, it is just a brute-force task that takes days. It's not fun to build such a structure, nor is it fun to have people ask you to do it. There are plenty of better, more creative topics for challenges, so do something different!

You can read up on my mission in this thread: https://jmnet.one/sfs/forum/index.p...-entire-earth-and-stops-rockets-leaving.5042/

1592766093280.png

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
But...

What if you were to anchor it to the surface / make it rotate / create it from a single blueprint / get stef to implement it as a patch for 1.6 / add moar boosterz / time warp it

Last edited:

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Ok, but one question... Does it rotate or is it stationary?

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I wonder what would happen if you surrounded the SOI, so it's around it but not in it.

I wonder what would happen if you surrounded the SOI, so it's around it but not in it.
Technically if the center of mass is at the center of the station, putting it at the center of the concerned body, it should orbit at the same speed. This would be an interesting experiment, but not a good challenge. If anyone did want to experiment, though, try custom making a body with perhaps 10m solid and a SOI that's under 1k diameter (could just be 100m). As it is, this couldn't be done in stock game because all SOI are larger than the 5km hardcap on ship size.