Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
TWR is too high to be ideal for a reusable rocket :)
For one that lands back at the launch pad, you can use a high TWR to fly a steep launch profile. But not 1.8, more like 1.4

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I gave it a quick try, the stages are well balanced. At full capacity (first stage expended) it can launch 70 to 75 tons to LEO. However I tried to land the first stage, the flight itself goes well, but once you deploy the landing legs the first stage becomes terribly unstable, and it's hard to land. I'm not the best at this though.

With a decent payload the TWR is rather correct to me (1.5 with 40 tons of payload), though you could potentially lift a bit more by adding fuel to both stages.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
You can't refuel it
The usual procedure is to land on the launchpad or close by, and consider the rocket "recovered". :) At least, that's what I normally do.
No need to refuel when SFS is so clunky about ground infrastructure.

Going a step farther... If I figure out a launch profile (ya know, detach at 15%, etc) that allows me to land the rocket.... On future launches, I don't even bother with landing as long as I fly the same launch profile. :)

Going a step farther... If I figure out a launch profile (ya know, detach at 15%, etc) that allows me to land the rocket.... On future launches, I don't even bother with landing as long as I fly the same launch profile.
I've been thinking about doing the same thing, but for now I've still been landing, just for the practice. But no, my "reusable" stages are not refuelable.

My first stage I just land where it lands. The second stage (which actually goes into orbit) I try to get back to the launchpad, but I'm not very accurate yet!

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
My first stage I just land where it lands. The second stage (which actually goes into orbit) I try to get back to the launchpad, but I'm not very accurate yet!
My experience with 'space plane' kind of rockets:
I deorbit at about 9 o'clock or 270 degrees (launchpad is at 12 o'clock or 0 degrees).
I quicksave just after doing the deorbit burn, in case it is too much or too little.

If it is slightly too little (aka you will overshoot the launchpad), it is sometimes possible to correct by flying least-aerodynamic side first, to slow down faster.
If it is slightly too much (aka you will fall short of the launchpad), it is sometimes possible to correct by flying pointy-end first, to prevent slowing down so early.

My experience with 'space plane' kind of rockets:
I deorbit at about 9 o'clock or 270 degrees (launchpad is at 12 o'clock or 0 degrees).
I quicksave just after doing the deorbit burn, in case it is too much or too little.

If it is slightly too little (aka you will overshoot the launchpad), it is sometimes possible to correct by flying least-aerodynamic side first, to slow down faster.
If it is slightly too much (aka you will fall short of the launchpad), it is sometimes possible to correct by flying pointy-end first, to prevent slowing down so early.
I'll usually deorbit between 9-10 o'clock, but I design my rockets to try to stay engines down (or in the direction of movement) so I know I'll be in the right orientation for my landing burn. But maybe I can play with that a little and see how it works.

Really, the question I always have is how far to burn. I can burn at 9 o'clock and land well west of the pad or well east of the pad, depending on how far to burn. It's hard to eyeball where your initial trajectory should be to get a final termination near the pad! That's what I need to work on. Thanks for the suggestions!

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
This is a medium-to-low orbit medium-load rocket, it is reusable if you want to tell me my mistakes and how can I improve View attachment 41771
Apologies for what I said about the TWR, I was wrong.
Your rocket flies good, I was able to put 32.5t in orbit the first attempt while landing the first stage close to the launchpad. As user friendly as it can be. :)

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
No need to refuel when SFS is so clunky about ground infrastructure.
It's not that difficult to achieve if its a goal. The most difficult part for me is landing in the right spot. The refurbishment is pretty easy after that (except the engines/wheels/legs aren't the same height)