Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
EDIT: That was the beta of ANAIS. Now the beta is over please check the official version if you wish to install it.

Hello everyone,

Let me present ANAIS, my new navigation tool :cool:

When you target another ship or a planet, ANAIS is designed to find the best trajectory that leads to a rendez-vous. It's very efficient, it can find a transfer in practically any situation:
01-Presentation.gif

The displayed transfer is colored depending on its efficiency. A transfer in light blue is practically optimal (Hohmann transfer). Green is not optimal but still a good opportunity, while yellow is significantly more expensive.

ANAIS manages to find transfers even in tricky situations:
02-SpecialTransfers.gif 03-SwitchToBetterTransfer.gif

How to plan a rendez-vous with ANAIS?

Select the ship as target, and time-warp until ANAIS finds a good transfer:
04-ExampleTransfer1.gif

Then switch to the ship view and burn in the showed direction:
05-ExampleTransfer2.gif 06-ExampleTransfer3.gif

Then time-warp until you meet the target:
07-ExampleTransfer4.gif
And the cherry on the cake, ANAIS doesn't lose track of its target :cool:

Last precision, for now ANAIS is still limited to local transfers (in the same SOI). The game code will be used for interplanetary transfers. ANAIS also includes the closest approach line, it will automatically be used in situations ANAIS can't deal with. That way you can use at your advantage the benefits from both mods.

How to install it?

Copy the dll into your Mods directory, then launch the game and activate it in the mods menu.

IMPORTANT: If you have the closest approach line mod make sure you desactivate it! ANAIS includes the code from the closest approach line, they must not be activated in the same time.

What's next?

As said in the title this mod is in a beta state, right now it's not finished. It's already playable however and that's why I make it available.

Don't hesitate to report bugs, opportunities of improvements, make suggestions, tell the author how you love ANAIS, whatever you want. I'll make a new thread for the official release, so you can use that thread to discuss as much as you want about it :)

Edit: latest version here

Attachments

Last edited:
S

Sportgus

Very useful mod! If I was to try to do VEEGA would this help with the part where you enter and SOI and burn 90* for another encounter?

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Very useful mod! If I was to try to do VEEGA would this help with the part where you enter and SOI and burn 90* for another encounter?
For now that wouldn't help because that mod still doesn't calculate interplanetary transfers, but in the future it will certainly help yes. Unlike Stef's navigation system ANAIS also considers transfer burns that are not colinear with velocity, so it's perfectly able to consider side burns.

Is there a github?
Not for now but I'll make one in the future.

Idkgeek

Modder
Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
Wow... this is really, really powerful is it allowed when doing rank making missions, it so powerful I doubt it?

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Wow... this is really, really powerful is it allowed when doing rank making missions, it so powerful I doubt it?
That is an interesting question indeed, but in any case the only navigation-heavy missions that could realistically benefit are the Mercury and Jupiter missions. :)

Hello everyone,

Let me present ANAIS, my new navigation tool :cool:

When you target another ship or a planet, ANAIS is designed to find the best trajectory that leads to a rendez-vous. It's very efficient, it can find a transfer in practically any situation:
View attachment 97935

The displayed transfer is colored depending on its efficiency. A transfer in light blue is practically optimal (Hohmann transfer). Green is not optimal but still a good opportunity, while yellow is significantly more expensive.

ANAIS manages to find transfers even in tricky situations:
View attachment 97936 View attachment 97937

How to plan a rendez-vous with ANAIS?

Select the ship as target, and time-warp until ANAIS finds a good transfer:
View attachment 97938

Then switch to the ship view and burn in the showed direction:
View attachment 97939 View attachment 97940

Then time-warp until you meet the target:
View attachment 97941
And the cherry on the cake, ANAIS doesn't lose track of its target :cool:

Last precision, for now ANAIS is still limited to local transfers (in the same SOI). The game code will be used for interplanetary transfers. ANAIS also includes the closest approach line, it will automatically be used in situations ANAIS can't deal with. That way you can use at your advantage the benefits from both mods.

How to install it?

Copy the dll into your Mods directory, then launch the game and activate it in the mods menu.

IMPORTANT: If you have the closest approach line mod make sure you desactivate it! ANAIS includes the code from the closest approach line, they must not be activated in the same time.

What's next?

As said in the title this mod is in a beta state, right now it's not finished. It's already playable however and that's why I make it available.

Don't hesitate to report bugs, opportunities of improvements, make suggestions, tell the author how you love ANAIS, whatever you want. I'll make a new thread for the official release, so you can use that thread to discuss as much as you want about it :)
I personally can't imagine the programming to make this possible.o_O

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
We shall debate about it. I made the mod but I can't decide about this alone. :)

I personally can't imagine the programming to make this possible.o_O
Not only the programmation but the maths involved behind this are very advanced. I always make sure to wear my anti math radiations suit when I open the project :p

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
then why do we need the Closest approach line now?
Because in some situations ANAIS can't calculate a transfer. Because it can't handle the situation, like in the case of interplanetary transfers or because no viable transfer can be found. The closest approach helps as a backup function there.

It's also that both approaches have their benefits (the green lines allow to plan an encounter on several turns for example), so I prefer to leave it so that players don't have to choose.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
We've decided, ANAIS is allowed for ranked missions. It's powerful but fair. Enjoy :cool:

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
hi can great mod but can you make it like the manuver nodes in ksp
This is not the spirit of this mod. Maneuver nodes allow to plan your burns and your trajectory, Anais calculates everything automatically. Adding maneuver nodes wouldn't make sense.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
+1 to last request.

This mod is very great!

But if i was novice to the game i would have so much troubles not seen interplanetary transfer windows and trajectory suggestions. Thus adding interplanetary transfer suggestions would make this mod even better.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
It would be also super nice if closest approach line mod could calculate future approaches over some several laps without orbit intersections.

Simply instead of showing how far the celestial body will be from orbits intersection points now mod can show how far celestial body will be from the point of our ship's orbit, which is closest one to the orbit of celestial body.

That would be super handy, since it will help to connect to bodies using less fuel and also gives much more flexibility to help to avoid random unexpected encounters with other bodies.

Like for example to avoid other body encounter i need to temporarily make my orbit not intersecting with my target's orbit and then i totally lose all green line information about future encounters with my target. Insted it could still show everything, just using closest point in my orbit instead of using intersects points.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
makes sense but i prefer to manualy do it
I respect that, but that would be a different mod actually, none of the stuff I have coded would be useful for that. Also, adding a specific interface for maneuver nodes is not doable through modding to my knowledge, and if it is it must be a real pain. It doesn't look like it, but making a custom velocity arrow was already something difficult. And not even because of the color effects.

So I'm sorry but I won't add it. It's not just that I don't want, it's also that I can't.

and can you add interplanitery stuff to this mod or make it use the default vanilla systeam for interplanetatry
The mod already uses the game system for situations it can't handle, it should already work. Adding my own management of interplanetary transfers is already a work in progress though. It just needs some time because those are tough calculations, I need to experiment some things, and I want to make a stable version before releasing it, even as a beta :)

+1 to last request.

This mod is very great!

But if i was novice to the game i would have so much troubles not seen interplanetary transfer windows and trajectory suggestions. Thus adding interplanetary transfer suggestions would make this mod even better.
That's a work in progress. I'm glad you appreciate the mod :)

It would be also super nice if closest approach line mod could calculate future approaches over some several laps without orbit intersections.

Simply instead of showing how far the celestial body will be from orbits intersection points now mod can show how far celestial body will be from the point of our ship's orbit, which is closest one to the orbit of celestial body.

That would be super handy, since it will help to connect to bodies using less fuel and also gives much more flexibility to help to avoid random unexpected encounters with other bodies.

Like for example to avoid other body encounter i need to temporarily make my orbit not intersecting with my target's orbit and then i totally lose all green line information about future encounters with my target. Insted it could still show everything, just using closest point in my orbit instead of using intersects points.
That would be relatively easy to add, but it would firstly be an evolution of the closest approach mod. But I would also use it in Anais of course, since it can't calculate transfers on several turns.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
The mod already uses the game system for situations it can't handle, it should already work.
Since i installed ANAIS i never saw dotted lines or transfer windows for interplanetary targets, not even once. Like if i am inside Earth's soi and i pick Mars or Venus as a target - there are no lines, no transfer windows, nothing at all, like i never picked my target at all.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Since i installed ANAIS i never saw dotted lines or transfer windows for interplanetary targets, not even once. Like if i am inside Earth's soi and i pick Mars or Venus as a target - there are no lines, no transfer windows, nothing at all, like i never picked my target at all.
Really?! Maybe I messed up something then, sorry. I'll see if I can make a fix, but it could result in instabilities because I already removed large chunks of code.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
No apologies are needed! Now i already don't need those dotted lines, since i may depart anytime without it and then after departure i can always create encounter with the target for the tiniest amount of fuel, using suggestions from Closest Approach Line. :)

But i remember my first days/weeks of play, that would create big difficulties for me during those times. :)

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
but it could result in instabilities because I already removed large chunks of code.
Don't do any fixes then, it is very minor problem and only temporary. People always can switch off mod in settings for several minutes, to get back default dotted line, while they are doing interplanetary targeting.

It is better to not hinder and not delay your progress in making new code. The faster you will make your own improved interplanetary line the better!

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Don't do any fixes then, it is very minor problem and only temporary. People always can switch off mod in settings for several minutes, to get back default dotted line, while they are doing interplanetary targeting.

It is better to not hinder and not delay your progress in making new code. The faster you will make your own improved interplanetary line the better!
Gotcha, thanks for your understanding.
That's a beta anyway, so yeah, shit can happen :p

Can I use it for team entries?
Yes.
Don't hesitate to check the instruction threads, we updated them recently to include the authorized mods. In short, all mods are allowed excepted the teleportation mods.

I respect that, but that would be a different mod actually, none of the stuff I have coded would be useful for that. Also, adding a specific interface for maneuver nodes is not doable through modding to my knowledge, and if it is it must be a real pain. It doesn't look like it, but making a custom velocity arrow was already something difficult. And not even because of the color effects.

So I'm sorry but I won't add it. It's not just that I don't want, it's also that I can't.

The mod already uses the game system for situations it can't handle, it should already work. Adding my own management of interplanetary transfers is already a work in progress though. It just needs some time because those are tough calculations, I need to experiment some things, and I want to make a stable version before releasing it, even as a beta :)

That's a work in progress. I'm glad you appreciate the mod :)

That would be relatively easy to add, but it would firstly be an evolution of the closest approach mod. But I would also use it in Anais of course, since it can't calculate transfers on several turns.

but it did not work for me do you have any idea why
maybe some other mod is interfering