Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I've been having an issue with venusian orbits, where I'm not making any changes, yet the orbit has been changing on its own, typically lowering itself. I had this issue with one of my Komodo missions, and now I'm testing the Veega route to Saturn and am having the same issue... The orbit is just lowering itself without any thrust input. It might not just be specific to venus, but that's the only planet I've been seeing the issue with for some reason.
Screenshot_2018-12-22-14-01-57.png
Screenshot_2018-12-22-14-02-03.png

Screenshots taken seconds apart, I had initially set the perivenusian at around 60km, but it started lowering on its own right after that.

Edit: Pericytherion, not Perivenusian

Last edited:

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
I've been having an issue with venusian orbits, where I'm not making any changes, yet the orbit has been changing on its own, typically lowering itself. I had this issue with one of my Komodo missions, and now I'm testing the Veega route to Saturn and am having the same issue... The orbit is just lowering itself without any thrust input. It might not just be specific to venus, but that's the only planet I've been seeing the issue with for some reason.
View attachment 10922 View attachment 10923
Screenshots taken seconds apart, I had initially set the perivenusian at around 60km, but it started lowering on its own right after that.
Maybe as the atmosphere of Venus is so heavy that even at the Karmon Line it still has an effect on object.
That or it’s a glitch with the hight of the atmosphere

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Well, no... Because the object that the orbital path is for hasn't even left earth's soi yet, I think it's another non-constant orbit bug.

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Update: It isn't specific to Venus, Its an issue with interplanetary travel. It doesn't keep modulating when in time warp though, so I can time warp through to the planet when the orbit is close enough, but if I drop out of time warp it goes really wierd. Saves don't make it better either, with reloads it's way off...

BANDWITH

Embodiment of Made In Abyss spoilers
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Man on the Moon
Registered
Yeah, I've expirienced that too.
Can prove to be helpful sometimes though.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Yes, I have it too, that's not specific to Venus. It's most likely due to numerical imprecision when calculating the trajectory (a very small difference on your position/velocity in Earth's SOI can lead to a noticeable difference later).
To stabilize the trajectory, I usually time-warp, even ×5 is enough. Then if I'm satisfied with it, I time-warp faster until I enter Venus'SOI. There, I get back to normal speed (now the trajectory shouldn't vary much) and fine-tune my trajectory.

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Yeah, and it doesn't have that problem when in solar orbit either (I think...), just when in another planet's SOI...