Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
It's been a while since I've done a large scale planned mission. Where's the old me gone? Now where am I? Anime? La comedie? The Workshops?

Goes to show how far off I've veered from the main purpose of this site. Should I return?
Yes, yes you should.

I've visited the moon countless times, launched a few real life mars expeditions, landed on venus and back, and finally the whole of Saturn's System.

Any celestial bodies other than those haven't been touched (realistically), where should I go next?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Alright, the warmaster have spoken.
How about a real mission for the Forums absolute realism builder?

The attached pdf is an actual summary published on exploration of Neptune and Triton, what is known, what questions could be answered with a modern day look (no one has been that way since Voyager shot past in the late 80s) and what equipment such an expedition would require.

Your mission is to conduct this exploration of Neptune and Triton, answering as many of these questions as possible.

• Determine the existence and depth of an ocean on Triton, and characterize its cryovolcanism
• Characterize Triton’s surface chemistry
• Characterize the composition, structure, and dynamics of Triton’s atmosphere
• Better characterize the range of ages of Triton’s surface units
• Determine the size of Neptune’s core
• Characterize the composition, structure, and dynamics of Neptune’s atmosphere
• Determine how energy and particles flow throughout Neptune’s complex magnetosphere
• Constrain the structure of Neptune’s ring arcs and properties of its irregular satellites

How you achieve this, I leave down to you as i know the standard you work to, however a few caveats dude.
  • You may use multiple launches, orbital assembly/re-fuelling.
  • Mission may be manned or unmanned. Whichever you chose has obvious issues that I know you'll be all over.
  • Return/re-useability isn't mandatory, however the data collected must come back, either through long range communications or return delivery of a data core.
  • Sensors used (magnetometers, spectrometers, imaging equipment) must be represented on craft (rovers/probes) used for purpose. Also, these craft either need to have communications to a mother unit for broadcast back to Earth, or must be recoverable from location for physical data transfer.

Attachments

You may use multiple launches, orbital assembly/re-fuelling.
Naturally

Mission may be manned or unmanned. Whichever you chose has obvious issues that I know you'll be all over.
Manned to make politician's johnsons wet, unmanned to make human rights activists shut the fuck up

Return/re-useability isn't mandatory, however the data collected must come back, either through long range communications or return delivery of a data core.
BFR is just cheating, I'll go full 1960s on this one. Return deliveries have greater sentimental value, I'll do that instead.

Also, these craft either need to have communications to a mother unit for broadcast back to Earth, or must be recoverable from location for physical data transfer.
I know what those are. A lander without an orbiter is like toilet without toilet paper.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Naturally

Manned to make politician's johnsons wet, unmanned to make human rights activists shut the fuck up

BFR is just cheating, I'll go full 1960s on this one. Return deliveries have greater sentimental value, I'll do that instead.

I know what those are. A lander without an orbiter is like toilet without toilet paper.
Lol, what?
I agree with everything else, but those two confuse me.

Lol, what?
I agree with everything else, but those two confuse me.
About the BFR, what I meant was the idea of a reusable self landing rocket. Ever since that Falcon 9 success hoohah, KSP youtubers gangbanged that idea, my feeds would be full of Falcon 9 vids or some lame rendition of the F9. It just feels dirty to use the Falcon now, so I'll stay with something more humble, something not used before.

I'll be leaning back to the old SLS, its a rocket everyone seems to ignore.

About the BFR, what I meant was the idea of a reusable self landing rocket. Ever since that Falcon 9 success hoohah, KSP youtubers gangbanged that idea, my feeds would be full of Falcon 9 vids or some lame rendition of the F9. It just feels dirty to use the Falcon now, so I'll stay with something more humble, something not used before.

I'll be leaning back to the old SLS, its a rocket everyone seems to ignore.
Hoo! That's a lot of Falcon!