Critique my Space Station

T

The Dark in the Light

I decided that I'm gonna need a proper station instead of all the crap ones I've built so I came up with this. Tell me what you think and what I should add. Maybe after more stuff has been added I might deorbit it... hehehehe...

Attachments

T

TtTOtW

Use structural parts where you have the orange drones at the ends now. Run them straight up the side of the panels and line them with small docking ports.

T

The Dark in the Light

Ahhh.. I think I know what you mean.
Update: haven't added them yet but next launch when I replace the solar arrays I have on there now with better newer ones that have RCS and docking ports
Screenshot_2019-10-24-13-43-44.png

T

The Dark in the Light

Thank you! Thought I would look cool and have a function to transport messages to the satilite I have around Encleadus which would then in turn send the messages to the ground crew.

Update: another launch and I've added the frame but changed the design you suggested TtTOtW, and soon I wil send up a fuel tank to refuel then dock my shuttle there.
Screenshot_2019-10-24-14-52-29.png
Screenshot_2019-10-24-14-52-40.png

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
What I would say, its purpose is to serve as a spot to refuel for small missions and use as a base for orbit construction.
I'd say that you're going to need a lot more docking area to attach larger fuel tanks for re-fuelling and sections for orbital assembly

T

The Dark in the Light

I'd say that you're going to need a lot more docking area to attach larger fuel tanks for re-fuelling and sections for orbital assembly
I will probably change the middle part with the satilite dish for a bigger fuel tank with a little mor stuff on it then.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I will probably change the middle part with the satilite dish for a bigger fuel tank with a little mor stuff on it then.
Keep the centre section as is mate, attach a long 'pole' to it that extends out beyond the solar arrays and add 'wings' to it. Then you'll have space to administrate craft as large as you want. Launch up fuel pods as large as you can manage and use them as removeable/disposable fuel cells to replenish on-going missions and dock them with the east/west docking areas.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
True, my advice is to separate the Solar Arrays from the central core, So you can use that space to manage spacecrafts.

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Here we go:
Screenshot_2019-03-13-17-06-14.png

This is what Point Inception used to look like. It was intended to be replicatable so I could have one around every planet...
When that purpose expired though, I ended up changing a lot, including adding a dock for the Tsar and much better fuel capacity (those orange tanks weren't nearly enough)
Screenshot_20190920-235456_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

I had to change the station quite a bit to fit what i needed it for. You can actually still see it has the same hub as before though (although that was its second hub even).

Your progress is actually really impressive. If you're using it as a staging ground though, remember that it's never a bad thing to get rid of a part if it isn't serving your needs. I actually just did that recently as well:
Screenshot_20190831-223727_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

The old docking section wasn't quite working for me, so I replaced it with a newer version.

Anyway, just keep going, you'll figure out what you need. Also, if you're looking for inspiration, maybe try tackling one of the challenges. They really help.

Attachments

T

The Dark in the Light

Here we go:
View attachment 28414
This is what Point Inception used to look like. It was intended to be replicatable so I could have one around every planet...
When that purpose expired though, I ended up changing a lot, including adding a dock for the Tsar and much better fuel capacity (those orange tanks weren't nearly enough)
View attachment 28416
I had to change the station quite a bit to fit what i needed it for. You can actually still see it has the same hub as before though (although that was its second hub even).

Your progress is actually really impressive. If you're using it as a staging ground though, remember that it's never a bad thing to get rid of a part if it isn't serving your needs. I actually just did that recently as well:
View attachment 28417
The old docking section wasn't quite working for me, so I replaced it with a newer version.

Anyway, just keep going, you'll figure out what you need. Also, if you're looking for inspiration, maybe try tackling one of the challenges. They really help.
Pretty nifty my friend. Its huge! And even I'm quite surprised with my progress because I used to suck at docking. I think its because I watched a video on docking and it stuck with me. Huh.

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Pretty nifty my friend. Its huge! And even I'm quite surprised with my progress because I used to suck at docking. I think its because I watched a video on docking and it stuck with me. Huh.
Yeah, that always helps. Seriously, just keep at it. Challenges will help with skill a lot, and you'll start to really figure out what you like and don't like when building. That's why so many of the builds of us experts seem so unique. We all find the things we love to do when building, and get real good at it.

T

The Dark in the Light

Yeah, that always helps. Seriously, just keep at it. Challenges will help with skill a lot, and you'll start to really figure out what you like and don't like when building. That's why so many of the builds of us experts seem so unique. We all find the things we love to do when building, and get real good at it.
Probably work on it mor tomorrow but here:
(Also Horus Lupercal I sorta modified your lil star ship design and I put it a my station)
Screenshot_2019-10-24-22-02-58.png

T

The Dark in the Light

O
Ha, one of mine? Doesn't look like one of my toys
At least I think the rough design was yours...from like 2018 WAY before i joined the forum. I was looking at peoples bp.s and found a starship design... Oh well, whoever's design I built off the top of my head, credit to you

T

The Dark in the Light

Here we go:
View attachment 28414
View attachment 28416

View attachment 28417

You know those balls on your space station? Are they made of fairing?