TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Hello guys!

Finally, here it is, the official delta-V map for SFS 1.5:
DeltaVmap_1.5.png

This map can be used to know the delta-V requirements for a particular mission. A delta-V calculator can be used then to design an optimal ship to complete the mission.

If you were used to the delta-V map under SFS 1.4, you'll notice that the transfers are slightly more demanding now. This is because the solar system scale has been raised by a factor 2.5, and the Sun is nearly 3 times more massive than before. The only exception to this is Venus because its orbit has been raised a little more, and it's now relatively closer to Earth than it was before.

Here are a few tips about how to use this map:
Example.png Example2.png
Those tutorials were made with the previous delta-V map, which explains that some numbers are slightly different.

Detailed explanation of the delta-V concept:

If you've never heard about delta-V, you've probably been confused by this term. "Delta-V" litterally means velocity difference. It is an abstract resource for rockets, that tells you "by how much it can make vary its velocity". For example, if your ship is moving at 1650 m/s, and then you accelerate until it reaches 1750 m/s, you've spent 100 m/s of delta-V. And some fuel aswell.
Because a rocket has a limited quantity of fuel, its delta-V is limited too. The delta-V of a rocket mainly depends on its fuel reserve. There are other factors, but I won't elaborate here.

Some calculators allow you to know precisely how much delta-V a rocket has at its disposal, this map tells you how much you need for a given mission. The combination of both allows experienced players to accurately design a ship for a particular mission.

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
In order to clearly explain how it works in a more general way, I'll show an example with a trip from LEO (Low Earth Orbit) to Phobos.

The delta-V map assumes you will use Hohmann transfers which are considered optimal, though some more complex trajectories (bi-elliptic transfers, gravitational slingshot) can allow to get the same result at a cheaper delta-V cost.

Here is how to plan the trip to Phobos with the delta-V map:
TutorialPhobos.png

Before starting, you have to put a ship in Low Earth Orbit:
01-LEO.jpg

Since Phobos orbits around Mars, we will go to Mars first. Click on Mars, then on "Navigate to" to make the game display a transfer to Mars:
02-HohmannTransfer1.jpg

Time-warp until the Earth is at the transfer point:
03-HohmannTransfer2.jpg

Zoom at Earth level, and you'll see that an injection burn is shown too. Time-warp until your ship is at said point:
04-InjectionBurn1.jpg 05-InjectionBurn2.jpg

Then the game displays the delta-V you'll have to spend: 763.0 m/s, which is the value calculated from Step 1. Perform the injection burn to put your ship on a transfer trajectory to Mars:
06-InjectionBurn3.jpg 07-MarsTransfer.jpg

Time-warp until you enter Mars's SOI, and once you reach the periapsis, burn retrograde to put your ship on a transfer orbit to Phobos (step 2):
08-EnteringMars.jpg 09-InsertionMars1.jpg 10-InsertionMars2.jpg
Note that I had to spend 234 m/s here, instead of the 212 m/s predicted by the delta-V map. This is due to small imperfections in the transfer trajectory, that was not a perfect Hohmann transfer.

The difficulty now it to get an encounter with Phobos, and possibly at a low cost. The navigation system can help you for that:
11-EncounterPhobos1.jpg 12-EncounterPhobos2.jpg

Now that you get the encounter with Phobos, you can burn and satellize your ship around Phobos (step 3):
13-SatellizationPhobos1.jpg 14-SatellizationPhobos2.jpg
Note that it costed 176 m/s instead of the expected 134 m/s. Again, because the trajectory was not a perfect Hohmann transfer.

For this reason, it is highly advised to take a margin when you design a ship, to make up for that kind of imperfections!

Last edited:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
you'll notice that the transfers are slightly more demanding now
Especially Mercury. Ho-ly shitbawls.

Awesome work though man. Been waiting for this to cometh.

For this reason, it is highly advised to take a margin when you design a ship
Wise words there children. Never expect you'll get that perfect trajectory (regardless of your phase angles) and always, always bring a fudge factor along with you just incase you need it.

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Especially Mercury. Ho-ly shitbawls.

Awesome work though man. Been waiting for this to cometh.
Yep, Mercury definitely deserves its nickname, "the graveyard". Glad you like it, thanks for your return :)

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Hello guys!

Finally, here it is, the official delta-V map for SFS 1.5:
View attachment 40435

This map can be used to know the delta-V requirements for a particular mission. A delta-V calculator can be used then to design an optimal ship to complete the mission.

If you were used to the delta-V map under SFS 1.4, you'll notice that the transfers are slightly more demanding now. This is because the solar system scale has been raised by a factor 2.5, and the Sun is nearly 3 times more massive than before. The only exception to this is Venus because its orbit has been raised a little more, and it's now relatively closer to Earth than it was before.

Here are a few tips about how to use this map:
View attachment 40436 View attachment 40437
Those tutorials were made with the previous delta-V map, which explains that some numbers are slightly different.

Detailed explanation of the delta-V concept:

If you've never heard about delta-V, you've probably been confused by this term. "Delta-V" litterally means velocity difference. It is an abstract resource for rockets, that tells you "by how much it can make vary its velocity". For example, if your ship is moving at 1650 m/s, and then you accelerate until it reaches 1750 m/s, you've spent 100 m/s of delta-V. And some fuel aswell.
Because a rocket has a limited quantity of fuel, its delta-V is limited too. The delta-V of a rocket mainly depends on its fuel reserve. There are other factors, but I won't elaborate here.

Some calculators allow you to know precisely how much delta-V a rocket has at its disposal, this map tells you how much you need for a given mission. The combination of both allows experienced players to accurately design a ship for a particular mission.
Ok. Earth to mars on a good day. Going to have to look that up. Closest approach
In order to clearly explain how it works in a more general way, I'll show an example with a trip from LEO (Low Earth Orbit) to Phobos.

The delta-V map assumes you will use Hohmann transfers which are considered optimal, though some more complex trajectories (bi-elliptic transfers, gravitational slingshot) can allow to get the same result at a cheaper delta-V cost.

Here is how to plan the trip to Phobos with the delta-V map:
View attachment 40439

Before starting, you have to put a ship in Low Earth Orbit:
View attachment 40440

Since Phobos orbits around Mars, we will go to Mars first. Click on Mars, then on "Navigate to" to make the game display a transfer to Mars:
View attachment 40441

Time-warp until the Earth is at the transfer point:
View attachment 40442

Zoom at Earth level, and you'll see that an injection burn is shown too. Time-warp until your ship is at said point:
View attachment 40443 View attachment 40444

Then the game displays the delta-V you'll have to spend: 763.0 m/s, which is the value calculated from Step 1. Perform the injection burn to put your ship on a transfer trajectory to Mars:
View attachment 40445 View attachment 40446

Time-warp until you enter Mars's SOI, and once you reach the periapsis, burn retrograde to put your ship on a transfer orbit to Phobos (step 2):
View attachment 40447 View attachment 40448 View attachment 40449
Note that I had to spend 234 m/s here, instead of the 212 m/s predicted by the delta-V map. This is due to small imperfections in the transfer trajectory, that was not a perfect Hohmann transfer.

The difficulty now it to get an encounter with Phobos, and possibly at a low cost. The navigation system can help you for that:
View attachment 40450 View attachment 40451

Now that you get the encounter with Phobos, you can burn and satellize your ship around Phobos (step 3):
View attachment 40452 View attachment 40453
Note that it costed 176 m/s instead of the expected 134 m/s. Again, because the trajectory was not a perfect Hohmann transfer.

For this reason, it is highly advised to take a margin when you design a ship, to make up for that kind of imperfections!
I am using your dV map. First attempt. Matter of fact doing an earth to mars run. I'm playing with gravity assists so this gives me a baseline for sure. I'm running 1.5 and I don't have that injection burn section. I see it in vids but I don't have it. Looks useful for ballpark burn. I've just been zooming in on intended trajectory.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
How did I missed this?? it almost 4 months here.... :3 :3 :3

bobbblair123

ሁልጊዜ ንጹህ የውስጥ ሱሪዎችን ይልበሱ
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I'm not matching data. Only tried twice though. I'm sure it'll get closer. Or I'll get closer.

I've never been accused of spamming. Other words come to mind...>
the first quote should be TtTOtW
the second one u don't need to worry is me if i'm right?