Open Docking in PC 1.35 tips?

I have tried docking in PC 1.35, but the lack of a closest approach numerical value makes this a lot harder that 1.4, does anyone have any tips on making the process easier?

It took me nearly 20 minutes yesterday to dock to spacecraft together, and if I want to manually build a space station, I need some tips so I spend more time trying to dock that designing and launching...

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
There's no closest approach value indeed, but the graphical tip still helps a lot, even with that single information you can normally get precise encounters... :rolleyes:
Do you really struggle to get encounters with that method?

Is modding that in for 1.35 even possible, btw?

I'd make it myself, but I have 0 experience in modding SFS, and the how-to for making the closest approach lines...

Chara-cter

37°14′0″N 115°48′30″W
Man on the Moon
Registered
Is modding that in for 1.35 even possible, btw?

I'd make it myself, but I have 0 experience in modding SFS, and the how-to for making the closest approach lines...
Don't cheat, dude
Cheating for goals is not cool

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Don't cheat, dude
Cheating for goals is not cool
That's not cheating, he just wants what exists in 1.4 under version 1.35 (the closest approach value).

I don't know if you can make a mod for this, but that will surely be a pain. Especially that SFS 1.35 should receive less and less support as 1.5 comes out. Just my opinion though.

You don't need a closest approach value. I judge by when I zoom in sooo much that the line starts glitching and moving around then that shows that the value is less than 1000 m.

If you docking in LEO then I get what you mean by struggling because everything is fast and a close approach still have a relative velocity difference of 50m/s; but if you're docking in HEO, Deimos/Phobos, or lunar orbit then canceling out relative velocity is pretty easy since everything is slow and you don't need much delta-V.

T

TtTOtW

Follow it step by step and practice practice practice. But don't change the procedure. You'll be docking in a day or two.

You don't need a closest approach value. I judge by when I zoom in sooo much that the line starts glitching and moving around then that shows that the value is less than 1000 m.

If you docking in LEO then I get what you mean by struggling because everything is fast and a close approach still have a relative velocity difference of 50m/s; but if you're docking in HEO, Deimos/Phobos, or lunar orbit then canceling out relative velocity is pretty easy since everything is slow and you don't need much delta-V.
HEO is easier? Hmm... my astronauts might need a longer trip, but oh well...

How high is HEO, anyways?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
HEO is easier? Hmm... my astronauts might need a longer trip, but oh well...

How high is HEO, anyways?
HEO is 'easier' because the orbital speed is slightly slower. However, that's a relative thing, as it depends on what orbit the other vehicle is coming from. If you attempt to dock an object from LEO with an object in HEO direct, then the speed difference is going to be ridiculous and it's even harder than doing it in LEO. The tip to reducing relative velocity before docking is having the intial object orbits close to each outher, like within 10km distance close.

However, if you want to go that high, HEO is above 'geo-stationary' at 1770-ish-km so you'd be talking 1800km to halfway to the moon.