Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I'm just wondering if the fuel consumption spec is supposed to be tons/sec, or if it's something else.

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Was calculating Isp of my shuttle, and apperently the frontier's Isp is only 280 instead of the 285 it says... Based on the thrust and fuel consumption (mass expelled)

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Was calculating Isp of my shuttle, and apperently the frontier's Isp is only 280 instead of the 285 it says... Based on the thrust and fuel consumption (mass expelled)
Are you sure about that? I built a simple rocket with a Frontier engine and measured its delta-V (by burning all fuel with drag and gravity disabled):
Screenshot_20181025-195546_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
I end up at 3825 m/s, which corresponds to a specific impulse of 285.7s
I can't explain the exceeding 0.7s (I should have ended at 3815 m/s instead), but besides that the given value seems correct...

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Are you sure about that? I built a simple rocket with a Frontier engine and measured its delta-V (by burning all fuel with drag and gravity disabled):
View attachment 8924
I end up at 3825 m/s, which corresponds to a specific impulse of 285.7s
I can't explain the exceeding 0.7s (I should have ended at 3815 m/s instead), but besides that the given value seems correct...
It might be that one of the other values is wrong too, I was just using Isp=F/mdot e. My guess is its more likely the fuel consumption rate is rounded or something similar...

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
It might be that one of the other values is wrong too, I was just using Isp=F/mdot e. My guess is its more likely the fuel consumption rate is rounded or something similar...
Yes, that's probably the reason. That's why I prefer a delta-V measurement, using the formula:
Delta-V = g×Isp×Ln(1 + fuel_mass/dry_mass)

By the way, maybe I found the reason why the Isp I measured was slightly greater: I realized that with this value, the ejection speed (g×Isp) was practically exactly 2800 m/s. So it's possible that Stef actually specifies the ejection speed, and calculates the Isp from it (rounding it down). This should be verified though...

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Yes, that's probably the reason. That's why I prefer a delta-V measurement, using the formula:

By the way, maybe I found the reason why the Isp I measured was slightly greater: I realized that with this value, the ejection speed (g×Isp) was practically exactly 2800 m/s. So it's possible that Stef actually specifies the ejection speed, and calculates the Isp from it (rounding it down). This should be verified though...
Yeah, that makes sense. My original question was because I'm working right now on calculating my shuttle's delta-V using that equation... it's hard though because it's a fairly complex launch...

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered

Wouldn't it also make sense if he just specified that thrust and Isp of each engine as well though, as they're the values that people pay the most attention to... I mean, he'd have to have an actual fuel consumption value though too, but it wouldn't be a huge deal if it was just slightly different than stated.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Yeah, that makes sense. My original question was because I'm working right now on calculating my shuttle's delta-V using that equation... it's hard though because it's a fairly complex launch...
If that can help you I've made a calculator:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...zOEbB5pSJMOjeiR-ES4y0HOzxy8/edit?usp=drivesdk
It's a sheet under google drive. I've left it in read only mode, so you have to make your own copy to work with it.

I wanted to improve it before making it official, but it can still help as is :)

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
If that can help you I've made a calculator:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...zOEbB5pSJMOjeiR-ES4y0HOzxy8/edit?usp=drivesdk
It's a sheet under google drive. I've left it in read only mode, so you have to make your own copy to work with it.

I wanted to improve it before making it official, but it can still help as is :)
Thanks, I've already got pretty much everything figured out, I just need to figure out the different mass cutoffs, which is proving hard right now because I keep messing up the launch due to attempting to screenshot mid-launch... Not to mention the use of ions after reaching orbit...

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
The only thing stopping me right now is that I need to get the dry and wet masses for each different Isp the shuttle operates at during the launch.
For each different Isp??? What do you mean?
What prevents you from getting dry mass and wet mass?

Lt. Snakestrike

Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
For each different Isp??? What do you mean?
What prevents you from getting dry mass and wet mass?
I turn different engines off at different times through the launch to balance thrust, so it gets more efficient through the launch. I need to get the fuel percents of the two main tanks to calculate the mass at each change in engine, which is hard to do while launching a shittle which is just trying to fall back to earth...

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I turn different engines off at different times through the launch to balance thrust, so it gets more efficient through the launch. I need to get the fuel percents of the two main tanks to calculate the mass at each change in engine, which is hard to do while launching a shittle which is just trying to fall back to earth...
Oh, OK, I get your problem. Getting the fuel percentage is tough indeed, but the calculator I made can help you for the rest: you can specify how many engines of each kind you use, and it automatically calculates thrust, average Isp... There is also a field to specify that you don't use an engine (for that kind of situations): the calculator will still takes its mass into account, but will ignore it to calculate thrust, Isp and the rest.