Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Oh no, not the Altair Space-fish!
Ha, I'll have to wait a bit to do it again. The fisn-n ship designed by Elon Mollusk flies only once a year :p

Back to the challenge!

Next destination: Mars, that I still haven't visited:
Screenshot_20200404-005824_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
I should have attempted a slingshot with Saturn or Jupiter instead, because this transfer costed a lot...

After that moment I'll be honest, I made a lot of reloads, because I had so little fuel left that I couldn't afford any mistake.
After an aerobrake that lets me on a highly elliptical orbit, I can fly over Deimos and Phobos:
Screenshot_20200404-011033_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200404-010631_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200404-011452_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200404-011827_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Then I can finally burn to get back to Earth. Problem, I also have to make a fly-by of the Moon! I manage to tweak my trajectory to get the Moon on my path, but the fly-by deviates my trajectory:
Screenshot_20200404-012739_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200404-014121_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200404-014145_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200404-014354_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
With 2% of fuel left, there's no way I can't fix my trajectory to get a reentry. I can reload again, or... deal with the situation!

I actually noticed that my new trajectory around the Sun was very close to a resonant orbit, so with a very small correction I encounter Earth again after 2 turns:
Screenshot_20200404-014534_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Finally:
Screenshot_20200404-014952_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

In the end, with 2 engines I:
- landed on Mercury, Pluto, Charon, Hydra, Nix, Kerberos and Styx
- made a fly-by of Venus, Mercury, Jupiter, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Saturn, Titan, Uranus, Titania, Neptune, Triton, Mars, Phobos, Deimos and the Moon.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
- made a fly-by of Venus, Mercury, Jupiter, Io, Europa, Ganymede, Callisto, Saturn, Titan, Uranus, Titania, Neptune, Triton, Mars, Phobos, Deimos and the Moon.
Some say that the word 'challenge' means something different in his SOI.

And that he owns the only chippy in Low Earth Orbit.

All we know is...

T

The Dark in the Light

Ha, I'll have to wait a bit to do it again. The fisn-n ship designed by Elon Mollusk flies only once a year :p

Back to the challenge!

Next destination: Mars, that I still haven't visited:
View attachment 35797
I should have attempted a slingshot with Saturn or Jupiter instead, because this transfer costed a lot...

After that moment I'll be honest, I made a lot of reloads, because I had so little fuel left that I couldn't afford any mistake.
After an aerobrake that lets me on a highly elliptical orbit, I can fly over Deimos and Phobos:
View attachment 35799 View attachment 35798 View attachment 35800 View attachment 35801

Then I can finally burn to get back to Earth. Problem, I also have to make a fly-by of the Moon! I manage to tweak my trajectory to get the Moon on my path, but the fly-by deviates my trajectory:
View attachment 35802 View attachment 35803 View attachment 35804 View attachment 35805
With 2% of fuel left, there's no way I can't fix my trajectory to get a reentry. I can reload again, or... deal with the situation!

I actually noticed that my new trajectory around the Sun was very close to a resonant orbit, so with a very small correction I encounter Earth again after 2 turns:
View attachment 35807

Finally:
View attachment 35808

Now that is how you do a Grand Tour!

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Look at your speed and altitude.
You need to get lower, those are rookie numbers.

You fly like an old man scared of the ground.

If you had some balls...

Screenshot_2020-04-12-16-51-53.png

I'm joking. I spanked into a mountain about 30seconds later.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
If you had some balls...

View attachment 35956

I'm joking. I spanked into a mountain about 30seconds later.
Be careful, you gonna scratch the paint! Note that it can be a good way to collect some samples without landing...

To be honest I tried a lot, but especially with the jovian moons my speed could have been displayed in km/s. The landscape was scrolling so fast that it was hard to anticipate the best moment for a screenshot.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
been displayed in km/s. The landscape was scrolling so fast that it was hard to anticipate the best moment for a screenshot
Yeah, i had to record the whole jaunt, slow motion to the required spot and then take a screenshot.

No way you'd manage it at 10x that speed