Solved Escaping the solar system bug

E

Erekosi

Hello everyone.

I’m new to the game and this is my first post in the forum.

I apologize in advance for the long post.

I’d like to ask you about sending rockets out of the solar system. I just did and I found a bug (or bugs) in the game.

I red in the game description that it has an open universe and there are no limits where you can go. So, I decided to experiment. I built a spaceship with three ion engines and connected it to a rocket. I used three stages to enter solar trajectory. At the periapsis I turned on the ion engines and waited. As expected it took really long time for the trajectory to reach near Jupiter’s orbit. But after that the apoapsis of my trajectory grew incredible fast, so fast. It extended very far from the solar system. I had to turn off the engines and swipe many times the screen to be able to follow it then turn the engines back on to keep going further. I accelerate until the ellipsis of trajectory opened up and I assumed that that must have been the point where you can leave the solar system. Then the bugs started :)

I turn off the engines and press the button that accelerates time to the max. My speed was way over 8.000 m/s. at the point of periapsis (Later I checked online that the velocity to escape the solar system from a orbit similar to earth’s is around 42 km/sec. so, was the physics of the game wrong to allow for my trajectory to “open” while I was still going in such a low speed?)

What happened next is that my spaceship would move along the trajectory and then jump back a bit and then move forward again. Was that the first bug? The distance indication kept rising fast but the speed indication wasn’t changing smoothly. It will reduce and the jump up and then reduce again. For example it will become 480 m/sec then grow up to 510m/sec then decrease again to 480 and go back to 510 and so on.

I have to admit that I let it run and looked away because it was taking long time for my spaceship to reach the point where the ellipsis of the trajectory had opened up. When I looked again I saw that I couldn’t see the trajectory any more on the screen. I thought that I had red it somewhere that outside the the solar system you can’t see a trajectory mark anymore. So, I thought that that was normal but I couldn’t see the little white triangle that indicates your position either.

When I pressed map I couldn’t see my spaceship.It was totally black. I zoomed out and at maximum zoom out I could see stars. I try to turn the engines on and then realized that I was still in time warp. I came out of time warp. And only then I was able to zoom in and see my spaceship.
I found another bug. The spaceship had compressed to a little square, all its pieces on top of each other. The engines would still work. I pressed the map button twice and it showed me the spaceship as it would normally be. I started the engines again and it pieces grew away of each other. It was a funny bug!

Unfortunately I had forgotten to save the game earlier. I found it pointless to continue the mission as I couldn’t tell if I was going anywhere ( it wouldn’t show the white triangle indicator among the stars) and I believed that the game was buggy. I forgot to mention that before all the indications on screen regarding fuel, power, distance and speed where totally gone and turned to a bunch of pixelated white lines. They appeared again later. At this point I haven’t launched another rocket so I can still follow my spaceship. The pieces that it is made of flicker on screen.

Let me say that I do find the game very exciting and I understand that it is a work in progress. I bought the extended version because I wanted to support the developer and the game.

I’d like to ask you if you have found any similar bugs and what happened when you tried to leave the solar system. I’m aware that there must be a smarter way to leave the solar system- using the sun’s gravity for accelerating to the right speed or something. That will be my next experiment. And it’s true that it is all these failing and trying again that makes the game fun.

I did warn you that it was a long post :)

Thank you if you have red that far. I hope that all the above made sense.

I’m attaching two screenshots of how the my game looks now. You can’t really notice but all the different parts that the spaceship is made of are flickering a bit.

Many thanks

Erekosi

Attachments

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
Hello everyone.

I’m new to the game and this is my first post in the forum.

I apologize in advance for the long post.

I’d like to ask you about sending rockets out of the solar system. I just did and I found a bug (or bugs) in the game.

I red in the game description that it has an open universe and there are no limits where you can go. So, I decided to experiment. I built a spaceship with three ion engines and connected it to a rocket. I used three stages to enter solar trajectory. At the periapsis I turned on the ion engines and waited. As expected it took really long time for the trajectory to reach near Jupiter’s orbit. But after that the apoapsis of my trajectory grew incredible fast, so fast. It extended very far from the solar system. I had to turn off the engines and swipe many times the screen to be able to follow it then turn the engines back on to keep going further. I accelerate until the ellipsis of trajectory opened up and I assumed that that must have been the point where you can leave the solar system. Then the bugs started :)

I turn off the engines and press the button that accelerates time to the max. My speed was way over 8.000 m/s. at the point of periapsis (Later I checked online that the velocity to escape the solar system from a orbit similar to earth’s is around 42 km/sec. so, was the physics of the game wrong to allow for my trajectory to “open” while I was still going in such a low speed?)

What happened next is that my spaceship would move along the trajectory and then jump back a bit and then move forward again. Was that the first bug? The distance indication kept rising fast but the speed indication wasn’t changing smoothly. It will reduce and the jump up and then reduce again. For example it will become 480 m/sec then grow up to 510m/sec then decrease again to 480 and go back to 510 and so on.

I have to admit that I let it run and looked away because it was taking long time for my spaceship to reach the point where the ellipsis of the trajectory had opened up. When I looked again I saw that I couldn’t see the trajectory any more on the screen. I thought that I had red it somewhere that outside the the solar system you can’t see a trajectory mark anymore. So, I thought that that was normal but I couldn’t see the little white triangle that indicates your position either.

When I pressed map I couldn’t see my spaceship.It was totally black. I zoomed out and at maximum zoom out I could see stars. I try to turn the engines on and then realized that I was still in time warp. I came out of time warp. And only then I was able to zoom in and see my spaceship.
I found another bug. The spaceship had compressed to a little square, all its pieces on top of each other. The engines would still work. I pressed the map button twice and it showed me the spaceship as it would normally be. I started the engines again and it pieces grew away of each other. It was a funny bug!

Unfortunately I had forgotten to save the game earlier. I found it pointless to continue the mission as I couldn’t tell if I was going anywhere ( it wouldn’t show the white triangle indicator among the stars) and I believed that the game was buggy. I forgot to mention that before all the indications on screen regarding fuel, power, distance and speed where totally gone and turned to a bunch of pixelated white lines. They appeared again later. At this point I haven’t launched another rocket so I can still follow my spaceship. The pieces that it is made of flicker on screen.

Let me say that I do find the game very exciting and I understand that it is a work in progress. I bought the extended version because I wanted to support the developer and the game.

I’d like to ask you if you have found any similar bugs and what happened when you tried to leave the solar system. I’m aware that there must be a smarter way to leave the solar system- using the sun’s gravity for accelerating to the right speed or something. That will be my next experiment. And it’s true that it is all these failing and trying again that makes the game fun.

I did warn you that it was a long post :)

Thank you if you have red that far. I hope that all the above made sense.

I’m attaching two screenshots of how the my game looks now. You can’t really notice but all the different parts that the spaceship is made of are flickering a bit.

Many thanks

Erekosi
Nice to see new players online!
To your first question, SFS isn’t fully scaled to the real system. To escape velocity is much slower.
It is true when going far out from the Solar System SFS has tons of bugs, it simply doesn’t expect you to be so far out.
Yeah it can be strange, unfortunately there is no fix to those bugs.

Side note; I moved your thread to the proper location

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Welcome to the forum :)
Danny is right, the Solar system is scaled down, you don't need that much to escape the solar system. Even a small rocket can manage to do it.

There's been a challenge recently about that, you may want to try it... Or see what technique we used to do it ;)
https://jmnet.one/sfs/forum/index.php?threads/alpha-centauri.2095/

About those bugs, yes sadly that happens. From my experience this is most likely to happen when you reach crazy speeds, especially when approaching heavy bodies. @SupremeDorian 's black hole is well known for generating that kind of bugs for example :p

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
I've had bugs like this as well, but I never really go out that far in the first place. If you want something far out that you can go to, check out my black hole. You should be able to find it in the Mod Downloads section.

T

TtTOtW

And at that distance from the sun you're not far from losing the stars altogether. And that is one disjointed rocket...

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Yeah. I’ve had some strange stuff happen the further you get away. After about a half hour of time warping from a gravity assist by Jupiter and this happened.