Fastest Crash Speed into Earth Challenge

In this challenge, you need to have the Infinite Fuel and No Drag sandbox settings on, because the object of this challenge is to crash your rocket into the surface as possible, without escaping the Earth's gravity. You must stay in the atmosphere below 30 Km during your entire flight. You can do this challenge on both IOS and Android devices, because it requires no mods or planet packs. In order to get your record counted, you must post a link to a video of the full flight of your rocket from launch to crash submitted. Use a capsule or probe with any fuel tank (I recommend 4 wide fuel tanks, because they have the least drag), you can use any engine you would like, but you should make your rocket tall and very controllable. I do not care about which mods you use, but the game must be updated to version 1.4, and you do not have to record audio. Here is a sample clip of what I am talking about:

Note: DOWNLOAD THE VIDEO CLIP BEFORE WATCHING IT!

Please reply with your video clips or reply with a download link to the video. I will manually download each video and review it to see if it qualifies.
I need you to send a full video clip because when the rocket crashes, the velocity changes to 0 m/s right away.
Screenshot_2020-01-01-22-11-19[1].png

The picture above is how I want you to set your settings before recording your video.

Attachments

Last edited:
Ah-ha...sorry no vid
659E8ADB-F8C6-4ECE-B532-BD7C130F4909.png
Chasing the peri apsis around a while, 7400 seems possible, 7600 just won’t go down at least with this fancy rig

Last edited:
I’m to lazy and Luddite to figure out vids, but anyone uses that rocket will quickly realize my said parameters, is rather neatly bound by game physics...
But who else is giving this a go!?!
I can’t be #1, that’s silly, gotta be some trick to improve things

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I tried it, but I did a big trip in space, so it can't count for the challenge, but still I wanted to share it. On the other side, I used no cheat (except no drag for reentry), and made the launch with drag on (drag bug fixed):
Screenshot_20200325-180405_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

This is one second before I crashed (couldn't do better):
Screenshot_20200325-191645_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

I'll let you guess how I did this :p

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I'll let you guess how I did this
Made your orbit apoapsis out as far as it'll go, timewarped out, adjusted the periapsis until the orbit was basically a line rather than a circle and then burned direct for Earth from Pluto whilst having your orbital velocity increased by Kepler and gravity.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Made your orbit apoapsis out as far as it'll go, timewarped out, adjusted the periapsis until the orbit was basically a line rather than a circle and then burned direct for Earth from Pluto whilst having your orbital velocity increased by Kepler and gravity.
The beginning is right, though I stopped at Saturn level (but going higher would have been more efficient indeed). The retroburn at apoapsis is right too, but not the final trajectory.

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
The beginning is right, though I stopped at Saturn level (but going higher would have been more efficient indeed). The retroburn at apoapsis is right too, but not the final trajectory.
Based off the rules that The Golden Creeper said in the original post, don’t you have to stay in the atmosphere the entire flight, or am I just reading it wrong.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Based off the rules that The Golden Creeper said in the original post, don’t you have to stay in the atmosphere the entire flight, or am I just reading it wrong.
Indeed, I mentioned myself it doesn't count for the challenge. Actually I wanted to try this but I forgot about the rules (I should have re-read the challenge :rolleyes:). My fault obviously, but my intention now is just to share it.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ok, so here's how I did it.

First I reached LEO with this:
Screenshot_20200325-180627_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Then a big burn to go very high:
Screenshot_20200325-182126_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Note that I got an encounter with Saturn, but that was not intentional. Anyway I won't enter its SOI because:
Screenshot_20200325-182445_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Once I reach the apohelion I reverse my orbit, and get an encounter with Earth. What allowed me to do this is the use of a resonant orbit.

Before encounter:
Screenshot_20200325-182559_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
This gonna hurt... o_O
Then I just burnt everything I had left to increase speed.

I also tried to reenter with drag on, but drag almost instantaneously killed all my speed! Another proof that brute-forcing isn't the solution to fight drag.

Again, it doesn't count for this challenge!

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Now here is a legit attempt:
Screenshot_20200326-003856_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20200326-003820_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg
9145 m/s (sorry, no video recording though)

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Indeed, I mentioned myself it doesn't count for the challenge. Actually I wanted to try this but I forgot about the rules (I should have re-read the challenge :rolleyes:). My fault obviously, but my intention now is just to share it.
Your all good. Sorry if I came off the wrong way. :)