Fly me to the Moon
Registered

Smokescreen501

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Marmilo Hi, I’m sorry for bring attention to this but it’s been a more than a month without any more comments and I don’t know who else to ping.

Smokescreen501

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Here is an updated shuttle, it is a major improvement and can carry a heavier payload, it also has a re-dockable robotic arm that is compact enough to fit in the payload bay.

Attachments

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Oops, I missed this also!

What is the maximum payload mass it can carry? It's clearly very nice looking and functional, so that's the only thing that could be improved if it can't carry at least 10% of its mass of LEO.

Based upon that buildscreen mass, the max payload should be around 100t at a minimum for it to be considered efficient. If it can carry that much with minimal changes, go ahead and show that and you'll have your badge. And in that case you can ignore what I typed below. :p

Hints in case they're helpful: you won't have to carry as much payload if you make the rocket lighter. Reduce the amount of fuel on the shuttle so you don't land with a lot of fuel, it's useless at that point. Then make the booster lighter, and add back some fuel to the shuttle if necessary. The ideal is to reduce as much weight as possible so you don't need to carry as much cargo for it to be considered "efficient". This is especially helpful if you can't fit enough fuel tanks unclipped in the payload bay! That way you don't need to make the payload bay much bigger.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
It's a bit too heavily clipped in my opinion... Right mass, but too compressed. I understand this inconvenient due to the size of your payload bay.
If you lighten your shuttle you don't need as mass, and thus you may not have to expand your payload bay.

Smokescreen501

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
It's a bit too heavily clipped in my opinion... Right mass, but too compressed. I understand this inconvenient due to the size of your payload bay.
If you lighten your shuttle you don't need as mass, and thus you may not have to expand your payload bay.
better?

Attachments

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
It appears to be, yes. :) That's a very significant weight loss! At this rate you'll be done in no time.
Question, why did you do the heatshields like that, in the nose area?

If you can send over the blueprint here or in DMs, that'd be great. :)

Smokescreen501

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
It appears to be, yes. :) That's a very significant weight loss! At this rate you'll be done in no time.
Question, why did you do the heatshields like that, in the nose area?

If you can send over the blueprint here or in DMs, that'd be great. :)
Im on IOS so I can’t BP edit so I just use parts from other blueprints and those were the only ones I found that wouldnt be too noticeable
here is the link: https://sharing.spaceflightsimulator.app/rocket/yf-j1e3vEe2dR7uAd13aUA

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
First:
Staging doesn't seem to work? The rear heatshield appears to tie the shuttle to the separator, and the only way to separate is by burning off the first stage?
That has to be fixed.
There's two ways, one is you can use a docking port instead of a separator, or... use an angled interstage like so:
1684102892264.png

That way it doesn't connect to anything.

Second:
I was able to take 30t of fuel away from the shuttle and 50t of fuel away from the booster and it still worked without making the payload lighter. Try dothat, so it becomes more efficient in terms of payload to launch mass ratio.
Hint: you don't need so much fuel for the door.

Third:
When you make it lighter, you don't need three titans on the booster. Two titans is enough. This makes it even lighter, upward positive cycle.

Fourth:
If you separate a nose tank from the rest of the shuttle, you can dump unnecessary fuel into the nose of the shuttle, so that when you're trying to re-enter, it won't try to spin the engines into the flames even with RCS off. Small balancing fix, like trim tanks on planes and submarines.

Fifth:
Since you're bp editing anyway, fix the nose heatshields so that they look better. :)

Not required to fix, but nice if you do:
It's best if you can access everything without staging. It would be a good idea to attach the payload docking port to the door instead of the shuttle, so you can take out the door and then easily detach the payload without staging.
Also the door doesn't need a docking port at each end, one end is enough. At the other end you can leave a small gap between the door and the rest of the shuttle, that gives you space to easily dock it back.

Don't hesitate to ask for clarification on my points, and if you need piloting tips to fly with less fuel just ask.

Smokescreen501

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
First:
Staging doesn't seem to work? The rear heatshield appears to tie the shuttle to the separator, and the only way to separate is by burning off the first stage?
That has to be fixed.
There's two ways, one is you can use a docking port instead of a separator, or... use an angled interstage like so:
View attachment 103320
That way it doesn't connect to anything.

Second:
I was able to take 30t of fuel away from the shuttle and 50t of fuel away from the booster and it still worked without making the payload lighter. Try dothat, so it becomes more efficient in terms of payload to launch mass ratio.
Hint: you don't need so much fuel for the door.

Third:
When you make it lighter, you don't need three titans on the booster. Two titans is enough. This makes it even lighter, upward positive cycle.

Fourth:
If you separate a nose tank from the rest of the shuttle, you can dump unnecessary fuel into the nose of the shuttle, so that when you're trying to re-enter, it won't try to spin the engines into the flames even with RCS off. Small balancing fix, like trim tanks on planes and submarines.

Fifth:
Since you're bp editing anyway, fix the nose heatshields so that they look better. :)

Not required to fix, but nice if you do:
It's best if you can access everything without staging. It would be a good idea to attach the payload docking port to the door instead of the shuttle, so you can take out the door and then easily detach the payload without staging.
Also the door doesn't need a docking port at each end, one end is enough. At the other end you can leave a small gap between the door and the rest of the shuttle, that gives you space to easily dock it back.

Don't hesitate to ask for clarification on my points, and if you need piloting tips to fly with less fuel just ask.
here is the updated shuttle, I believe that I fixed all your points
https://sharing.spaceflightsimulator.app/rocket/D6u6SfMoEe2dVruAd13aUA

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Sorry for missing that, it was the day before my final exam. :)

I'm impressed by the improvements, now everything is user friendly and stable, you could still take out some more fuel from the shuttle and optimise it further, but that is for you to do optionally because you've been granted the badge. Congratulations. :) Welcome to Team Hawk.

Smokescreen501

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Sorry for missing that, it was the day before my final exam. :)

I'm impressed by the improvements, now everything is user friendly and stable, you could still take out some more fuel from the shuttle and optimise it further, but that is for you to do optionally because you've been granted the badge. Congratulations. :) Welcome to Team Hawk.
Thank you!