Frequently Asked Questions - FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
You'll find here the answers to the most common questions. If you didn't find what you were looking for, don't hesitate to ask in the Help & Support section.

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

• What is this forum and what can I do here?
This is a place where all SFS players can discuss and share. Non-SFS subjects are also welcome, but please keep them on the right places. In case you want to know exactly what is allowed and what not, read our Forum Rules and Forum Terms of Use.

• Where can I find some tutorials?
You can find a lot of interesting tutorials in the USFS section.
It is designed so everyone can understand the basic concepts related to the game.

• Is there a PC version?
Yes, two versions are available for PC:

- SFS on steam: This is the latest available version, and the most complete. It's fully compatible with the mobile version. The game costs 11.99$, which includes all expansions.​
- SFS 1.35 PC: This version is from 2018, it's free and includes the expansion. It's been very popular and a lot of mods are available for it. However it's not supported anymore, and all the recent stuff (planets, rockets, savegames) won't be compatible with it.​

• Is SFS available on other platforms?
Currently it is available on the Mac app store and the Huawei App Gallery.

• Are mods available for SFS?
It all depends on the version you play:
- Steam version: You'll find all the mods developped for the Steam version here. You'll find mods properly said, that add new features to the game or modify existing ones, but also custom parts like new engines or custom textures. See this thread for more detailed informations about them.​
- SFS 1.35 PC: All mods available for this version are available here. Those mods are not supported anymore, and they are not compatible with the Steam version.​
- Mobile version (Android/Ios): No mods are available for those.​

• Where can I download rockets or planets?
All rockets are available in this section. You'll find planets and worlds here. However, please note that you will need the planet expansion for the later.

• I already bought SFS on Android/Ios, do I have to buy it again on Steam?
Yes. Generally speaking, purchases are per platform, and per account. Which means that if you already own the game on Android, you'll have to buy it again if you switch to Ios or PC. Note that this is true for any game, take this in consideration when you plan buying a new phone!

• I lost my purchase, help!
First, make sure you're logged with the account (google/Ios account) with which you made the purchase and that you have access to the mobile network, then start the game. The purchase usually restores by itself within a few minutes.
If it doesn't work, please contact any of the staff members, we'll check your purchase and make what's necessary to restore it.

• What are these badges and how do I get them?
Those badges are distinctions you can earn by completing missions in our ranking system. This thread explains the whole process.

The missions have to be submitted in this section. There's an instructions thread in each section in which you'll find all the requirements. Please make sure you read it before attempting the missions.

If you are ready to start hunting ranks, you'll have to start with team Titan.

• How do I unlock the rest of the forum features, like signature, editing time, etc.?
By completing the challenges proposed on the New Ranks thread, linked just above.

• I’m out of ideas, where can I find challenges, ideas, missions to do?
We have a whole section dedicated to this. Feel free to attempt any mission or to propose your own challenge for others. Please keep in mind that we expect people that propose a new challenge to accomplish their own challenge first.

• What's new in SFS?
Stef keeps us regularly informed about the next update through the Snek-pek Discord channel, and the topic is also widely discussed on the forum. Feel free to ask some news or anything you want to know about in the central update thread, but please don’t spam. We understand your impatience, but spamming won’t make it come faster.

List of acronyms commonly used on the Forums:

Forums:
SFS: Spaceflight Simulator, our beloved game.
BOT: Back on Topic.

Navigation:
SOI: Sphere of Influence
LEO: Low Earth Orbit
LxO: Generalization of “LEO”, for example in a Moon mission, LMO is to be understood as “Low Moon Orbit”.
TLI: Trans Lunar Injection
HEO: High Earth Orbit
HxO: Generalization of “HEO”. Just replace the “x” by the first letter of any planet.
GEO: Geostationary Earth Orbit. A satellite on such an orbit performs a revolution in 24 hours, so it remains above the same geographical location. Note that strictly speaking this makes no sense in SFS as planets don’t rotate.
GTO: Geostationary Transfer Orbit
VEEGA: Venus-Earth-Earth Gravity Assistance. A powerful navigation technique that relies on gravity assists to save a lot of fuel.
RSS: Real Solar System.

Rocket:
RCS: Reaction Control System. A set of small nozzles used for precision maneuvers.
RTG: Radioisotopic Thermal Generator. Generates electricity from a small radioactive charge.
LES: Launch Escape System
SRB: Solid Rocket Booster
SSME: Space Shuttle Main Engine
ET: External Tank (of the Space Shuttle)
MECO: Main Engine Cut Off
SECO: Second Engine Cut Off
LEM: Lunar Excursion Module
EVA: Extra-Vehicular Activity
ISS: International Space Station
Delta-V: an abstract rocket resource: tells you by how much you can make vary your velocity.
TWR: Thrust to Weight Ratio. The ideal range is 1.2 - 1.6.
Isp: Specific Impulse. A characteristic of a rocket engine. Tells you how efficient is your engine. The higher it is, the better.

Propellants:
LOX/RP-1: Liquid Oxygen/kerosene. A powerful combination of oxidizer/fuel most commonly found on the first stage of a rocket, or in booster.
LOX/LH2: Liquid Oxygen/Liquid Hydrogen. An efficient oxidizer/fuel combination mostly used on upper stages.
MethaLOX: Liquid Methane/Oxygen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.