Frontier submission - Space station

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
If I will build the station like in the picture below in LEO by 4+ launches from Earth, would it be good enough to pass this challenge? Or something is wrong there?

1675746757982.png

Hermes

Team Judge
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
If I will build the station like in the picture below in LEO by 4+ launches from Earth, would it be good enough to pass this challenge? Or something is wrong there?

You need a docking area/bay and probably RCS. You also don't need nearly that many solar panels.

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
You need a docking area/bay and probably RCS. You also don't need nearly that many solar panels.
In this picture I have 5 docking ports, 4 occupied with mandatory escape pods and 5th is totally free and unobstructed. How many more free docking bays/areas/ports do I need to make to pass this challenge?

What is minimal amount of escape pods to pass the challenge?

In this picture I have 4 RCS engines and one main engine for big changes in orbit. How much more RCS engines do i need to add to pass this challenge?

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Extra solar panels don't hurt, they are light and small, it is easy to deliver to orbit.

The absence of any information about how much of each stuff must be there and in which shape it should be made - that hurts. Because it is not even hard - it is impossible to guess. Thus i hope you can answer those questions, so we could establish the picture of space station, which totally without any questions qualifies for this challenge - then i can build it.

Building something in orbit and only after it is done finding out that it doesn't pass, because it has too little amount RCS engines or it's docking area is incorrectly made - that would be so a disaster.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
The problem is not the number of docking ports; but rather the accessibility of a single docking port. I have seen tiny small space stations where even a giant shuttle would be able to dock, and rejected many giant space stations where due to poor layout only relatively tiny capsules can dock.

It is a more thought out design if there is a docking port with a lot of clearance around. If the docking port protudes out from the rest of the station by half a dozen meters, it ought to be fine.

Attachments

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
So only one free docking port is enough then? Or it requires more than one?

I only need to replace docking area to be the most accessible and not obstructed with anything nearby? Would that be an acceptable design?

Other stuff is good?

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Your space station has its own propulsion, power, habitats and at least one escape capsule, you are correct to say that the only missing thing is _one_ unobstructed free docking port for visitors to use. If you simply made it protude out a bit from the rest of the structure that would be sufficient

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
That new update in rules is so very nice. Now i can use SAS mod and it eliminates long and boring take-offs from Earth to LEO, which is especially awesome for this particular challenge since it has much more than only one take-off from Earth, unlike most of other challenges.

Here is my video with building space station:

bro people keep talking about the 1.6 update but then some are saying its never gonna happen and there just gonna move it to SFS 2 which I don't even think is a thing yet.

S

Sportgus

bro people keep talking about the 1.6 update but then some are saying its never gonna happen and there just gonna move it to SFS 2 which I don't even think is a thing yet.
I don't think that's relevant to this thread.