Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Edit: This mod is only compatible with the old mod loader and as is it won't be maintained anymore. Please check this thread to download the version compatible with the official mod loader.
------------------------------------‐--------------------

Hi everyone!

Here is my first mod for SFS. That mod gives some limited lift capabilities to heat shields, allowing capsules (or any other stuff!) to glide during reentry:

GlidingDemo.gif

This mod is intended to mimic real capsules, that have such capacity (though it's a bit more complicated), and to give the player some control over his reentry trajectory. You can simply change your trajectory by steering the capsule left and right.

Apart from dodging debris or other capsules, you can use this to glide over the upper atmosphere to limit the heat load of your heat shield, or on the contrary, dive into the lower atmosphere to land faster. Generally speaking, this is useful to adjust your flying altitude if you realize that you didn't put your capsule on a very good trajectory, or if you want to aim for a particular landing zone. This capacity has also an interesting side effect, it makes your capsule more stable during reentry.
However keep in mind that it's still a heat shield, not a wing! Your ships will be closer to a flying brick than a plane, this is not the purpose of this mod.

That mod has no known incompatibility with other mods.
You will need dani's mod loader (v1.2.0) to run it. If you don't already have it, follow his instructions, then just drop the dll attached in the MODS folder. Start the game, and if you did everything right the mod will be automatically be loaded.

Don't hesitate to give some feedback, make suggestions or report bugs. Enjoy! :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend

4KidsOneCamera

Alliance’s New President // Likes SpaceX replicas
Staff member
Team Valiant
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Hi everyone!

Here is my first mod for SFS. That mod gives some limited lift capabilities to heat shields, allowing capsules (or any other stuff!) to glide during reentry:

View attachment 80423

This mod is intended to mimic real capsules, that have such capacity (though it's a bit more complicated), and to give the player some control over his reentry trajectory. You can simply change your trajectory by steering the capsule left and right.

Apart from dodging debris or other capsules, you can use this to glide over the upper atmosphere to limit the heat load of your heat shield, or on the contrary, dive into the lower atmosphere to land faster. Generally speaking, this is useful to adjust your flying altitude if you realize that you didn't put your capsule on a very good trajectory, or if you want to aim for a particular landing zone. This capacity has also an interesting side effect, it makes your capsule more stable during reentry.
However keep in mind that it's still a heat shield, not a wing! Your ships will be closer to a flying brick than a plane, this is not the purpose of this mod.

You will need dani's mod loader (v1.2.0) to run it. If you don't already have it, follow his instructions, then just drop the dll attached in the MODS folder. Start the game, and if you did everything right the mod will be automatically be loaded.

Don't hesitate to give some feedback, make suggestions or report bugs. Enjoy! :cool:
I don’t play Steam, but this is awesome Altaïr! Probably one of the coolest mods I’ve seen yet!

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I don’t play Steam, but this is awesome Altaïr! Probably one of the coolest mods I’ve seen yet!
Thanks 4Kids :cool:
That's actually an idea I had long ago, and I really wanted to test it. I'm glad to see it's appreciated :D

The epic chicken

Grim Reaper
Asteroid Contest Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Hi everyone!

View attachment 80423

Damm, I wish modding was on mobile

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Now I feel like I need to get the Steam version just to try this awesome mod out!o_O

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
How exactly does this work? I use mods so I just set it up like every other mod but my capsule doesn't seem to be doing anything different
OK, first thing to check, just in case, is the mod correctly installed? You can check this from the MODS menu from the title screen:
00-mainScreen.jpg 01-ModScreen.jpg
If the mod appears in the list, then it's fine.

Next thing, it's important to keep in mind that the effect is based on aerodynamics: it needs speed and air pressure to work. For example, at the moment you reenter the atmosphere, you may not notice the effect because the air pressure is still too weak. If there's little to no air resistance, not much will happen. That's why in the gif in my first post I waited to encounter some significant air resistance to show the effect (which is visible by the fact that the shields are already glowing red). Having another object flying close to your ship also gives a very explicit reference, otherwise it's harder to notice. But it's possible to see it on the trajectory: in certain circumstances, it's even possible to bounce back to space.

I suggest you that test to see how it works. First build a small rocket, launch it straight up, and turn off your engine when your apoapsis reaches 20 kilometers:
02-Demo.jpg

Now wait for the launcher to fall back, then when you hit 300 m/s, separate the capsule and turn it to the left or to the right. This should happen:
03-separation.gif

See how the empty tank suddenly moves to the left? What happens is that it's actually your capsule that moves to the right, and the game follows your capsule obviously. The tank is simply following his route straight down.

Another example, when the capsule is close to the ground, falling straight down. Try steering the capsule to the left or to the right, and look at the velocity arrow:
04-landing.gif

See? The capsule suddenly gains some horizontal speed.

Make a few tries, that should make it easier to understand :)

OK, first thing to check, just in case, is the mod correctly installed? You can check this from the MODS menu from the title screen:
View attachment 80426 View attachment 80427
If the mod appears in the list, then it's fine.

Next thing, it's important to keep in mind that the effect is based on aerodynamics: it needs speed and air pressure to work. For example, at the moment you reenter the atmosphere, you may not notice the effect because the air pressure is still too weak. If there's little to no air resistance, not much will happen. That's why in the gif in my first post I waited to encounter some significant air resistance to show the effect (which is visible by the fact that the shields are already glowing red). Having another object flying close to your ship also gives a very explicit reference, otherwise it's harder to notice. But it's possible to see it on the trajectory: in certain circumstances, it's even possible to bounce back to space.

I suggest you that test to see how it works. First build a small rocket, launch it straight up, and turn off your engine when your apoapsis reaches 20 kilometers:
View attachment 80428

Now wait for the launcher to fall back, then when you hit 300 m/s, separate the capsule and turn it to the left or to the right. This should happen:
View attachment 80429
See how the empty tank suddenly moves to the left? What happens is that it's actually your capsule that moves to the right, and the game follows your capsule obviously. The tank is simply following his route straight down.

Another example, when the capsule is close to the ground, falling straight down. Try steering the capsule to the left or to the right, and look at the velocity arrow:
View attachment 80430
See? The capsule suddenly gains some horizontal speed.

Make a few tries, that should make it easier to understand :)
I have other mods but I don't have the mods button how do you get that?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I have other mods but I don't have the mods button how do you get that?
I did nothing special. If you don't have it it may be that you don't have the latest version of the mod loader (v1.2.0). That may also be the reason why my mod doesn't work, it's not compatible with previous versions. Can you check that?

NSG

Likes shuttles // Doesn’t like replicas // He/Him
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Fly me to the Moon
Copycat
Registered
I’m a mobile player but i just want something clarified, so i make shuttles with a reversed heat shield and interstage(discovered by siryonkee) and i was wondering what would happen during reentry

Attachments

S

Sportgus

Heat shields work thee same even if they are backwards. So your shuttle should be fine.

Hi everyone!

View attachment 80423

Wait so this means we can make wings by abusing the lift mechanic?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I’m a mobile player but i just want something clarified, so i make shuttles with a reversed heat shield and interstage(discovered by siryonkee) and i was wondering what would happen during reentry
If you specifically ask about the lift effect, it will act the same way. There's no distinction between the two sides of the shield, so this would work too.

Wait so this means we can make wings by abusing the lift mechanic?
As I said:
keep in mind that it's still a heat shield, not a wing! Your ships will be closer to a flying brick than a plane, this is not the purpose of this mod.
Not really. You can try of course, but their lift-to-drag ratio is very low, you'll be disappointed.

S

Sportgus

Sorry I forgot this was the gliding heat shields thread and thought you meant if it would burn up.

If you specifically ask about the lift effect, it will act the same way. There's no distinction between the two sides of the shield, so this would work too.

As I said:

Not really. You can try of course, but their lift-to-drag ratio is very low, you'll be disappointed.
I’m a disappointing person, therefore this is perfect for me!

T

TtTOtW

I’m a disappointing person, therefore this is perfect for me!
Now listen here mister. I don't know you but I already don't like your attitude. And I'm gonna pull you straight. Because YOU ARE BETTER THAN THAT. Now sit up straight. I said, sit up straight!

That's better. Now listen carefully. You are an SFS player with great potential. And I make it my personal mission to prove it. Kapish???
I'll DM you.

this is freaking awesome! I have been testing the mod out, and if you can, I would suggest that you increase the height (how how much) you can guide the rocket. Cause by the time you can glide, you’re already too close to the ground. Other than that. Great mod, I use it to make my starship actually belly flop with aerodynamics!

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
this is freaking awesome! I have been testing the mod out, and if you can, I would suggest that you increase the height (how how much) you can guide the rocket. Cause by the time you can glide, you’re already too close to the ground. Other than that. Great mod, I use it to make my starship actually belly flop with aerodynamics!
Thanks for the return, I'm glad you appreciate it :)

Especially that I tested it with a capsule, I didn't try with big ships, so the feedback is appreciated.

Regarding your suggestion, actually it doesn't work like that. The effect is not based on altitude but on aerodynamic pressure. In clear, the shields generate lift when they also experience drag. It doesn't work in the high atmosphere because the air pressure is too weak there. Also, if your ship is heavy the effect will be lower, because the force is the same and your ship has more inertia. You can try to alleviate it to increase the effect.

I could increase a little the effect, but I can't do it too much, the effect would quickly be overpowered. I'll see what I can do.