Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Correct. But remember that is a cargo rocket on empty. I'm sure the TWR decreases when you Add a payload :)
You can't put more than 60 tons for payload due to only one engine in SS. And in that case the TWR is 1.65, which is still high.

T

TtTOtW

You can't put more than 60 tons for payload due to only one engine in SS. And in that case the TWR is 1.65, which is still high.
No problem for S2, payload size is the real limit here. Increase it to a reasonable liftoff TWR, and you don't have the delta v to get to orbit. Stick to the fairing size, and TWR becomes a flight risk at low altitudes.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
That TWR though... I'm not putting my astronauts on that hellride.
A bit off-topic, but it's TWR related...:
The crew of DM-2 said that the Falcon 9 felt very gentle on lift-off compared to STS (makes sense, because Falcon has no SRBs), but once stage 2 kicked in, the ride was rougher compared to STS after the SRBs detached.
Probably because Falcon 9 stage 2 has a huge engine (compared to other second stages) and is pretty small (less mass to absorb vibrations).

So yeah, that popped into my head when I saw BenjaSFS☆☆☆'s rocket and your reply.

T

TtTOtW

A bit off-topic, but it's TWR related...:
The crew of DM-2 said that the Falcon 9 felt very gentle on lift-off compared to STS (makes sense, because Falcon has no SRBs), but once stage 2 kicked in, the ride was rougher compared to STS after the SRBs detached.
Probably because Falcon 9 stage 2 has a huge engine (compared to other second stages) and is pretty small (less mass to absorb vibrations).

So yeah, that popped into my head when I saw BenjaSFS☆☆☆'s rocket and your reply.
FINE. Have it your way! :mad:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
And cos the TWR of the Space Shuttle was rather high. It never used to crawl away from the pad gently, and there's very little that can be done to slow the ride down by throttling back the RS-25s when they're only producing 30% of the thrust anyway.

Sorta reminds me of interviews with the Apollo crews, especially the ones that'd ridden Gemini as well. The piece I read was that Gemini was a bit of a sports car, you knew when it was moving cos it threw you into your seat on ignition, where as Saturn V had such a low TWR that crews initially needed the instruments to tell them they were actually moving.

Obviously that wouldn't be the case after the F-1s have burnt through 2,000tons of fuel and they're having to shut down the centre F-1 30 seconds before staging otherwise the TWR was in the regions of 4.3