PicoSpace Industries
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Copycat
Registered
So am I doing this wrong? First time trying IRIS.

I did a test with my Semi-completed Saturn V rocket and things did not go very well... (basically the top is underweighted at the moment and only 3 engines of weight but 5 for power*... so this should of"easily" made orbit compared to when its finished.)

• On the other hand, you will need to build your horizontal speed as quick as possible: you have to reach 3850 m/s to reach LEO!
I'm almost 6000m/s and still only have about 1/2 the required orbital velocity.

*Thrust Mod is to account for needing 5 engines and only having 3... not perfect but thats the current solution I have.

Image is of second stage burning up after obtaining 110km height (1st stage got me about 75km before it ran out of fuel and was jettisoned). To show current stats, particularily the velocity.
20220728175106_1.jpg

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
So am I doing this wrong? First time trying IRIS.

I did a test with my Semi-completed Saturn V rocket and things did not go very well... (basically the top is underweighted at the moment and only 3 engines of weight but 5 for power*... so this should of"easily" made orbit compared to when its finished.)

I'm almost 6000m/s and still only have about 1/2 the required orbital velocity.

*Thrust Mod is to account for needing 5 engines and only having 3... not perfect but thats the current solution I have.

Image is of second stage buring up after obtaining 110km height (1st stage got me about 75km before it ran out of fuel and was jettisoned).
View attachment 87967
Did you create a new world with the setting on hard or realistic? Because you should be on an escape trajectory at such speed. IRIS was designed before this setting exists, it was designed to be balanced when used in normal mode. If that's what you did you should recreate a new world with the appropriate setting.

EmberSkyMedia

PicoSpace Industries
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Copycat
Registered
Did you create a new world with the setting on hard or realistic? Because you should be on an escape trajectory at such speed. IRIS was designed before this setting exists, it was designed to be balanced when used in normal mode. If that's what you did you should recreate a new world with the appropriate setting.
Ah… I thought it was to be played on Realistic… that explains it.

Astria

Astria short for AstriaPorta (Stargate in ancient)
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I'm thinking, did you download the latest version? Because I thought I setted the multipliers to 1 to avoid this.
I just downloaded the latest version and tried playing it in realistic mode and it failed. The rocket spawns inside the earth and is destroyed.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
I just downloaded the latest version and tried playing it in realistic mode and it failed. The rocket spawns inside the earth and is destroyed.
You should play on normal, it's scaled for default isp etc.

Astria

Astria short for AstriaPorta (Stargate in ancient)
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
You should play on normal, it's scaled for default isp etc.
But that's not what I'm looking for. I'm specifically looking for a pack that is 1:1 scale and works with the modified settings of realistic mode. I guess I misunderstood, I thought this pack did that.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
This one's 1/4 scaled, designed so that with the isp on normal mode your rockets get a 5% payload mass fraction or so, just like real life.

Good luck with your search.:)

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Is there a new update to this pack coming soon?
Hello,

Maybe someday, but right now this project is on hold. I'm already very busy with mods, at some point I can't do everything.

Marmilo

Retired Staff / Scale Inspector
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Copycat
Registered
MOTY 2022
Altaïr is there a Delta-V map for this? If not it's there a simple way to scale existing ones?

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Delta V in this world is exactly half of real life or half from Realistic game difficulty.

...except for take off from a planet. Since you spend less time fighting with gravity it will be little more than twice difference for take offs. And especially take off from Earth, since atmospheric curvature is higher here and you can perform trajectory with less drag and with very optimal horizontal acceleration at the same time.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Altaïr is there a Delta-V map for this? If not it's there a simple way to scale existing ones?
Hello,

No, sadly I never made a ΔV map. At least I calculated those values a while ago:
Screenshot_20220506-200600_Discord.jpg
I'll see if I can find some time to do that. However if you play on PC you can use ANAIS to simulate all the transfers you want and check the ΔV values. Now that I think about it, maybe I should do that actually... :rolleyes:

Delta V in this world is exactly half of real life or half from Realistic game difficulty.

...except for take off from a planet. Since you spend less time fighting with gravity it will be little more than twice difference for take offs. And especially take off from Earth, since atmospheric curvature is higher here and you can perform trajectory with less drag and with very optimal horizontal acceleration at the same time.
Totally correct. Except that I don't have a ΔV map for realistic either :)

Catalyst_Kh

TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Totally correct. Except that I don't have a ΔV map for realistic either :)
For me google was very helpful in this matter. Since we are talking about real life values. :D And google was totally enough for everything so far, i had not a single case where google didn't showed correct delta V i wanted to know.

For example i have first cosmic velocity and second cosmic velocity for any celestial body, thus my burn for orbit insertion will be difference in those speeds plus my initial approaching SOI speed, and that is all, as simple as that.

Or i looked up Jupiter's moons speed around Jupiter to find out exact delta-V value for transfers between orbits, though it was not obvious how much i can gain from speed compression using Oberth maneuver, but i had easy estimates for that from other values.

Darthan

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Voyager Quest
Floater
Registered
I did some testing with IRIS in Hard and Realistic modes. You need alternate Launch_Pad_Position.txt files (attached):

It is possible to reach orbit and re-enter in both. From low orbit you need to target about 35km altitude to re-enter. IRIS in hard mode looks playable if difficult. IRIS in 'Realistic' mode is theoretically playable - with a probe as the controller it is possible to lift 4-5t of fuel into orbit at a time. With enough patience you can send any amount of fuel into orbit. It could be quite a challange to reach the moon!

Reference rocket used:

DeltaVProbeBP.PNG

(blueprint attached - custom parts from neptunesky's Huge Parts v1.0, Tiny parts v1/0 and Neptune's Copycats v1.1.1 (I think - it is whatever contains the Griffin engine))

Initial mass 3007t
Payload capsule+parachute+heatshield+fairing+separator about 6t
5 stages each stage approx twice the mass of all the stages above it. In Realistic mode with stock solar system the total mass when orbit was reached was 147t

Hard IRIS mode

reference rocket final mass: 60.7t
payload/initial mass ratio is 2%.
atmosphere depth 125km
Orbit velocity (approx) 5410m/s
Earth LO->Moon LO (ANAIS) 2757m/s
earth radius 3189 (0.5x real)

'Realistic' IRIS mode (should probably call this the 'Almost Impossible' mode!)

reference rocket final mass: 8t
payload/initial mass ratio 0.25%
atmosphere depth 250km
Orbit velocity (approx) =17.6km/s
Earth LO->Moon LO (ANAIS) 8887m/s
earth radius 31890 (5x real)

Attachments

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I did some testing with IRIS in Hard and Realistic modes. You need alternate Launch_Pad_Position.txt files (attached):

It is possible to reach orbit and re-enter in both. From low orbit you need to target about 35km altitude to re-enter. IRIS in hard mode looks playable if difficult. IRIS in 'Realistic' mode is theoretically playable - with a probe as the controller it is possible to lift 4-5t of fuel into orbit at a time. With enough patience you can send any amount of fuel into orbit. It could be quite a challange to reach the moon!

Reference rocket used:

View attachment 114722

(blueprint attached - custom parts from neptunesky's Huge Parts v1.0, Tiny parts v1/0 and Neptune's Copycats v1.1.1 (I think - it is whatever contains the Griffin engine))

Initial mass 3007t
Payload capsule+parachute+heatshield+fairing+separator about 6t
5 stages each stage approx twice the mass of all the stages above it. In Realistic mode with stock solar system the total mass when orbit was reached was 147t

Hard IRIS mode

reference rocket final mass: 60.7t
payload/initial mass ratio is 2%.
atmosphere depth 125km
Orbit velocity (approx) 5410m/s
Earth LO->Moon LO (ANAIS) 2757m/s
earth radius 3189 (0.5x real)

'Realistic' IRIS mode (should probably call this the 'Almost Impossible' mode!)

reference rocket final mass: 8t
payload/initial mass ratio 0.25%
atmosphere depth 250km
Orbit velocity (approx) =17.6km/s
Earth LO->Moon LO (ANAIS) 8887m/s
earth radius 31890 (5x real)
Wow, I see you had fun with this pack :p

Yeah, as you probably guessed it was not designed for hard/realistic mode. The realistic mode didn't exist when I made this pack, the intention was precisely to simulate a realistic world in terms of difficulty. If you scale up a planet pack that has already been scaled up it's not very surprising that it becomes insane in terms of difficulty. Thanks for your tests and your feedback, even if honestly I don't plan to update this pack anymore. The realistic mode quite defeats its purpose, and since then I've moved to other projects.

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Wow, I see you had fun with this pack :p

Yeah, as you probably guessed it was not designed for hard/realistic mode. The realistic mode didn't exist when I made this pack, the intention was precisely to simulate a realistic world in terms of difficulty. If you scale up a planet pack that has already been scaled up it's not very surprising that it becomes insane in terms of difficulty. Thanks for your tests and your feedback, even if honestly I don't plan to update this pack anymore. The realistic mode quite defeats its purpose, and since then I've moved to other projects.
I think it's still useful for mobile players who don't have acess to realistic mode