Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Edit: latest version here.

Hi guys,

For those of you who developped high skills at SFS, here comes IRIS: Inspired from Reality Intermediate System!

IRIS is meant to be a challenging pack, as well as being as close from reality than possible. The solar system has been modeled at scale 1:4. Those who tried a real solar system (1:1) probably noticed how hard it was to play with. This is because engines characteristics and most parts in SFS are nerfed compared to real rocket pieces for balance reasons. IRIS takes this into account and is meant to recreate the difficulty you would experience in real life.

In one word, IRIS is a world in which you need no less than a Saturn V to perform a Moon mission.

Additionally to this, here are some of IRIS features:
  • All sizes and distance are to scale 1:4, proportions are fully respected.
  • Body characteristics are accurate, gravity is the real one for each body, the atmospheres have been balanced to be as realistic as possible
  • All spheres of influence are realistic.
  • Deimos and Phobos have been redesigned from real topographic data
  • Mars terrain has been recreated and offers some notable places to visit, including the Olympus Mons and Valles Marineris (partially done to date, I'm still working on it :))
  • Because in real life there's no magic line above which the atmosphere suddenly vanishes, IRIS introduces a new feature: the VLEO zone (Very Low Earth Orbit). In practice, this zone is located between the no time-warp line, and the upper atmosphere limit: the atmosphere still exists in that zone, but the pressure is very low. It makes it possible to fly through it at orbital speed with very few losses. Your orbit will slowly decay over time, which makes it not suitable for a satellite or a space station, but is perfectly viable for a parking orbit (avoid opening your solar panels there though). Use this to your advantage!
  • All planets from Mercury to Mars are currently available. More planets will be added later.
However the pack also has some limitations: because of the scale, Earth and Venus both exceed a 1000 km radius and are not landable. This means you'll have to pretend you finish your missions with a splashdown (remember, you can recover your ship at any moment).

Here are a few screenshots of the pack:
Screenshot_20210405-005857_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210405-010502_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210405-010851_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210405-011416_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210405-011801_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg Screenshot_20210405-011856_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Here are a few hints:
  • your usual rockets may not work anymore, you will have to rebuild them for this pack. For an usual launcher, expect a payload to total mass ratio around 5% in practice: if you want to send 10 tons in LEO, your launcher may weigh around 200 tons on the launchpad.
  • Understanding the importance of staging and knowing how to design your launcher will be crucial here if you want to go far.
  • The atmosphere diminishes really quickly, don't overestimate its effects: it becomes negligible above 40 km. There's no absolute need to cross the 75 km limit before establishing your orbit.
  • On the other hand, you will need to build your horizontal speed as quick as possible: you have to reach 3850 m/s to reach LEO!
  • If you try this pack for the first time, don't be too ambitious at first, and start with small missions. You may be surprised at how hard is a Moon return mission!
Enjoy! :cool:

Note: Special thanks to BANDWITH that helped me by providing some accurate terrain data for Deimos and Phobos.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Oh yey! Maybe I could start using this now! :)

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
For those who are not sure about where to begin, here is a rocket able to launch a decent satellite in LEO. It will be a good first test:
Screenshot_20210405-003628_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

When launching, don't forget to start building your horizontal speed as soon as possible:
Screenshot_20210405-003735_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

On the contrary, don't overestimate the atmosphere effects: it diminishes very quickly with altitude.

Screenshot_20210405-004026_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Reaching the upper atmosphere means that you can consider jettisonning your fairings now.

Screenshot_20210405-004042_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

No need to aim for a high apoapsis! There's practically no more drag at this point.

Screenshot_20210405-004332_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

Ideally, when you reach orbit, your periapsis should be aroud 45-50 km. While you are still in the atmosphere, this is the VLEO zone. By the time you reach the apoapsis, you'll have experienced negligible losses.

Screenshot_20210405-004456_Spaceflight Simulator.jpg

The satellite can circularize its orbit by himself if you happen to be short in fuel.

The rocket is attached, feel free to try it.

Attachments

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
My girl IRIS is here!

My fellow forumers, I wholeheartly recommend you get a hold of these Topographically Interesting Test Systems. You'll enjoy it, trust me...

T

The Dark in the Light

H
Hi guys,

For those of you who developped high skills at SFS, here comes IRIS: Inspired from Reality Intermediate System!

IRIS is meant to be a challenging pack, as well as being as close from reality than possible. The solar system has been modeled at scale 1:4. Those who tried a real solar system (1:1) probably noticed how hard it was to play with. This is because engines characteristics and most parts in SFS are nerfed compared to real rocket pieces for balance reasons. IRIS takes this into account and is meant to recreate the difficulty you would experience in real life.

In one word, IRIS is a world in which you need no less than a Saturn V to perform a Moon mission.

Additionally to this, here are some of IRIS features:
  • All sizes and distance are to scale 1:4, proportions are fully respected.
  • Body characteristics are accurate, gravity is the real one for each body, the atmospheres have been balanced to be as realistic as possible
  • All spheres of influence are realistic.
  • Deimos and Phobos have been redesigned from real topographic data
  • Mars terrain has been recreated and offers some notable places to visit, including the Olympus Mons and Valles Marineris (partially done to date, I'm still working on it :))
  • Because in real life there's no magic line above which the atmosphere suddenly vanishes, IRIS introduces a new feature: the VLEO zone (Very Low Earth Orbit). In practice, this zone is located between the no time-warp line, and the upper atmosphere limit: the atmosphere still exists in that zone, but the pressure is very low. It makes it possible to fly through it at orbital speed with very few losses. Your orbit will slowly decay over time, which makes it not suitable for a satellite or a space station, but is perfectly viable for a parking orbit (avoid opening your solar panels there though). Use this to your advantage!
  • All planets from Mercury to Mars are currently available. More planets will be added later.
However the pack also has some limitations: because of the scale, Earth and Venus both exceed a 1000 km radius and are not landable. This means you'll have to pretend you finish your missions with a splashdown (remember, you can recover your ship at any moment).

Here are a few screenshots of the pack:
View attachment 59779 View attachment 59780 View attachment 59781 View attachment 59782 View attachment 59783 View attachment 59784

Here are a few hints:
  • your usual rockets may not work anymore, you will have to rebuild them for this pack. For an usual launcher, expect a payload to total mass ratio around 5% in practice: if you want to send 10 tons in LEO, your launcher may weigh around 200 tons on the launchpad.
  • Understanding the importance of staging and knowing how to design your launcher will be crucial here if you want to go far.
  • The atmosphere diminishes really quickly, don't overestimate its effects: it becomes negligible above 40 km. There's no absolute need to cross the 75 km limit before establishing your orbit.
  • On the other hand, you will need to build your horizontal speed as quick as possible: you have to reach 3850 m/s to reach LEO!
  • If you try this pack for the first time, don't be too ambitious at first, and start with small missions. You may be surprised at how hard is a Moon return mission!
Enjoy! :cool:

Note: Special thanks to BANDWITH that help me by providing some accurate terrain data for Deimos and Phobos.
Hell yeah! I'm gonna try this. What are your thoughts on me making a video on this?

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
This is cool guys. I really recommend it. Not only adds a challenge to the game but because it has real terrain, it kinda a motive to explore the planets. I’d love to try it myself.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Cool! Finally, I have something productive to do. Is there any way I can install the pack on my PC? I have 1.5 on Bluestacks.
I think so, I guess it's the same procedure as on an actual android: drop the pack in the appropriate folder.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Cool! Finally, I have something productive to do. Is there any way I can install the pack on my PC? I have 1.5 on Bluestacks.
I think so, I guess it's the same procedure as on an actual android: drop the pack in the appropriate folder.
Got it, I'll go take a look through my file directory.
It's quite difficult to do on bluestacks. There is a way, but I've never got it to work

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Installing one right now. Hopefully I can find an SFS folder in the file directory.
The folder looks like this on Android:
20210405_040911.jpg
Your folder should be clean though, not like mine that contains a lot of shit (including a flat planets pack :p).

T

The Dark in the Light

The folder looks like this on Android:
View attachment 59797
Your folder should be clean though, not like mine that contains a lot of shit (including a flat planets pack :p).
I meant on my PC, but I'll check again for something like that.
On a side note, the damn emulator I installed is bloody stupid.

T

The Dark in the Light

I officially give up. I can't find anything so I'm just gonna do this on my tablet.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Altaïr Could we have a delta-v chart or list of your planet pack? I wanna do a manned Mercury mission using the AMLLV I've prepare ages ago. Thanks.
Ah, yeah I'll work on that. Right now I don't know the values, but if you go through a direct transfer the delta-V required is insane. You should at least use a gravity assist with Venus.

This thing is good! :D

View attachment 59812

My first "try" orbit! :D
Good job :)
That ship surely required a good launcher to reach orbit.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Hmm... maybe i should do the galilean moons too
If you want to collaborate, some help would be appreciated for sure :)
I'll contact you in private. If you want to work on the terrain data, I'll explain you how I work, I developped a special tool for this, so that the task is not too tedious.

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
If you want to collaborate, some help would be appreciated for sure :)
I'll contact you in private. If you want to work on the terrain data, I'll explain you how I work, I developped a special tool for this, so that the task is not too tedious.
Sure thing mate! I had been gathering a few [image] heightmaps for this too...