AstronautAdam

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Can Saturn V fullsize replice fly to Mars and back with this pack? In real world Wernher von Braun designed Saturn V to do Mars and back. And what spashl landing you mean? I hear this here first time.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Can Saturn V fullsize replice fly to Mars and back with this pack? In real world Wernher von Braun designed Saturn V to do Mars and back. And what spashl landing you mean? I hear this here first time.
Well, that depends on several factors bub. Factors like 'how much weight are you intending on moving to Mars and back?' Remember, FH can apparently move a load to Pluto, and Saturn V is far more potent a launch system. You just have to be smart with the transfer stage.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Can Saturn V fullsize replice fly to Mars and back with this pack? In real world Wernher von Braun designed Saturn V to do Mars and back.
It depends on what you mean. If you mean launching to Mars, landing on the red planet and return safely to Earth, not a chance. You'll need much more than a Saturn V for that. Reaching Mars orbit and return? Possibly. But you'll have to plan your mission accurately for that.

Personal advice, if I were you I would attempt a Moon mission before, you'll probably be surprised by how hard it already is.

And what spashl landing you mean? I hear this here first time.
"Splashdown" I guess? Well, it's this:
Splashdown_2.jpg

But the sentence mentionning it is no longer valid, with the latest version of SFS, Earth has a solid ground so you can land normally.

Scientia Space Agency

TEAM HAWK
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
This pack is really good, it gave even to the most experienced players the possibility to be engaged even in Moon mission, expecially if you add to the equation a pseudo-realistic way of doing things. For example my biggest rocket, the Hermes IVB, is capable of putting only 50 tons of cargo on the moon surface, and it basically fill the building area. My plans are to do separate launches for the payload and for the transfer stage, in the complex a very beautiful pack, particularly for navigated players

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
This pack is really good, it gave even to the most experienced players the possibility to be engaged even in Moon mission, expecially if you add to the equation a pseudo-realistic way of doing things. For example my biggest rocket, the Hermes IVB, is capable of putting only 50 tons of cargo on the moon surface, and it basically fill the building area. My plans are to do separate launches for the payload and for the transfer stage, in the complex a very beautiful pack, particularly for navigated players
Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you appreciate it. Sadly I've had a lot of work and I couldn't work much on it ultimately, but I hope I will be able to finish it.

Thank you for your feedback, I'm glad you appreciate it. Sadly I've had a lot of work and I couldn't work much on it ultimately, but I hope I will be able to finish it.
Hi Altair, I havent returned to the forums in a long time, but Im curious as to the progress of IRIS, are there any new planets added for the pack?

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Hi Altair, I havent returned to the forums in a long time, but Im curious as to the progress of IRIS, are there any new planets added for the pack?
Not for now, sadly I've had a lot of work irl, I didn't work on it recently. But I hope I will be able to update it, don't worry I'll let you know. :)

Not for now, sadly I've had a lot of work irl, I didn't work on it recently. But I hope I will be able to update it, don't worry I'll let you know. :)
Could you show me the download link for the latest version of this pack? I've recently rebought the game but accidentally deleted everything. Thanks.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Or is Version 1.0 already the latest? Sorry its been a long time since I've played.
Yes, that's still the unique one. God, I really have to update that pack...

Yes, that's still the unique one. God, I really have to update that pack...
Thanks. I really can't wait for the gas giants update, with Gurren's help it should be a lot easier.

I've always wanted to redo Le Verrier on IRIS, using Blazer's strategy, since he gave up on it, I'll carry his flame.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
UPDATE!!!

I finally could find time to work again on this pack, so here is the "Red planet" update.

Change log:
- Mars has been polished, its terrain is much more detailed and realistic now. More details on this below.
- Ceres added to the pack - includes real terrain data collected by the Dawn probe!
- All planet files were updated to the latest version
- Heat damage has been balanced for the pack, though it may evolve in future versions
- a launchpad has been made available for Phobos, Deimos and Ceres (if you didn't know, the pack contains a launchpad folder with launchpads for every body, which allows you to start from anywhere)

More in details:

Mars map is now completely finished, some of its most famous features have been mapped from real data and adapted to IRIS scale. Here is the location of all those sites:
MarsMap_IRIS.png

The areas presented are the following ones:
  • Amazonis planitia: a vast and deep zone, it probably contained water long ago. The surface is nearly -1000 meters below the mean level, and the terrain is very friendly, making it one of the easiest landing zone.
  • Hellas planitia: a huge depression created by a meteor. The surface is very deep in the center of the zone, the lowest point of Mars is located there, at nearly -2000 meters below the mean level. A very good choice for landing, though this zone is not as large, and the terrain is a bit harsher there. Try to aim for the center of the zone, as this is the deepest part of Hellas planitia.
  • Elysium planitia: another plain, which level is also below the mean level, in which the terrain is very easy to land on. It's not as vast as the previous one, so it can be more difficult to aim for it, but still a very good choice as a landing zone.
  • Elysium mons: a huge volcano that sits on Elysium planitia. It's approximately 3500 meters tall. Though it may be a very interesting zone to collect samples and discover more about the red planet, landing there will be a real challenge.
  • Noachis terra: a very large plain, heavily craterized. At an average altitude, the terrain is kinda irregular, which makes it both an interesting and challenging landing zone.
  • Valles marineris: a huge scar on the face of Mars, that very deep canyon is visible from space. Though this site is very deep, aiming for the canyon from space will be a difficult task, and the terrain is very irregular, making it a difficult landing zone.
  • Arsia Mons: that's one of the three volcanoes of Tharsis Montes, a huge dome located next to the Olympus mons. With its 4300 meters above the mean level, Arsia Mons is one of the highest volcanoes of the planet, and the one that has the largest caldeira: it's 30 km wide!
  • Olympus mons: here is it, the king of all volcanoes, the peak of Mars, and even of the solar system. This volcano is clearly visible from space, and is 5300 meters tall. Its caldeira is 15 kilometers large (ingame), which would make it able to contain most volcanoes on Earth. A very difficult landing zone, only the best will be able to land a probe in it.
Fortunately, Mars has an atmosphere, which allows aerobraking and the use of a parachute to slow down without spending fuel, but remember that it's very weak! Actually, only the deepest zones of the planet have a thick enough atmosphere for this, and some retropropulsion is still needed for a smooth landing. For most other zones, you won't get much help from a parachute.

I advise starting with Amazonis Planitia and Hellas planitia as landing zones, they are by far the easiest.

As usual, here are a few pics of the pack. Here are a few examples of the crazy martian structures:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-02-09-00-34-25.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-02-05-23-31-00.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-02-06-14-41-30.jpg ezgif-5-5a179468eb.gif

Some epic landing scenes...
ezgif-3-cf7f1220ef.gif ezgif-3-cd7d4d217d.gif ezgif-3-e3d82e450e.gif
Believe me, it's harder than it looks at first :p

And some of the new stuff:
Spaceflight Simulator_2022-02-06-22-20-49.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-02-08-00-27-34.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-02-08-14-34-38.jpg Spaceflight Simulator_2022-02-08-21-33-33.jpg

Special thanks: Credits to Gurren Lagann for the Ceres terrain: he mapped it from real data!

Enjoy! :cool:

Attachments

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
So im on mobile and i downloaded the pack. I saw no heat effects whatsoever and drag was there only below 20 km.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
So im on mobile and i downloaded the pack. I saw no heat effects whatsoever and drag was there only below 20 km.
Regarding drag that's intended. At high altitude the atmosphere still exists but it's very weak. Above 40 km you can even fly at orbital speed despite still being in the atmosphere, but you can't stay too much in it as the ship would be deorbited after some time.

For heat effects that's a bit surprising (though it happened to me once, so it can be a bug). I've set the heat at quite a forgiving level because otherwise a reentry from the Moon would be lethal. The heat wasn't designed for a solar system of that size, and the difference between "no heat" and "deadly heat" is not huge so I made what I could. However, no heat at all is surprising, you should have at least a little, enough to destroy an unprotected ship. Did it happen several times?

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Wow finally Ceres is added!

Cresign

Spiller of the Milky Way • Rocket Gluer
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Moon Maker
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Regarding drag that's intended. At high altitude the atmosphere still exists but it's very weak. Above 40 km you can even fly at orbital speed despite still being in the atmosphere, but you can't stay too much in it as the ship would be deorbited after some time.

For heat effects that's a bit surprising (though it happened to me once, so it can be a bug). I've set the heat at quite a forgiving level because otherwise a reentry from the Moon would be lethal. The heat wasn't designed for a solar system of that size, and the difference between "no heat" and "deadly heat" is not huge so I made what I could. However, no heat at all is surprising, you should have at least a little, enough to destroy an unprotected ship. Did it happen several times?
No heat effects nor actual heat this low and with this speed

Attachments