Interplanetary tour

Soyuzturtle

«★★★» Grand Admiral «★★★» // PT
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Here is quite a... challenging challenge. Launch a semi realistically sized rocket from Earth. You must land on the moon , mars and Venus. Bonus points if you go further. All of this must be done in one flight and you must return at least 1 crew capsule to earth safely.
-No cheats
-DLC allowed
-no ion engines
-BP editing allowed
-you are allowed and are encouraged to refuel in flight.
This challenged mainly revolves around refueling space stations so post some pictures of those as well ;). Good luck!

Last edited:
Is it possible to launch off Venus?
I did a mid-atmospheric sample scoop once, don’t think I ever tried a land and launch
...I’m going to take this moment to beg for balloons

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I did a mid-atmospheric sample scoop once, don’t think I ever tried a land and launch
It's definitely not easy but once I landed my ship I refueled it again on the surface which gave it just enough juice to get to the refueling station.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Of course. Venus is always a challenge, but Yes, it is possible (at least in SFS).

Edit: It is also possible to do it without refueling

It's definitely not easy but once I landed my ship I refueled it again on the surface which gave it just enough juice to get to the refueling station.
I’ll need to build some more stations in my great empty 1.5 world, maybe just lug a tank into Venus’ orbit temporary wise but you know how that goes

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
I’ll need to build some more stations in my great empty 1.5 world, maybe just lug a tank into Venus’ orbit temporary wise but you know how that goes
wet worksop in venus!! (just like skylab's original design) :D :D :D

smol

Registered
You can find some inspiration here:

https://jmnet.one/sfs/forum/index.p...omputational-design-tutorial.5145/#post-99724

I didn’t think launching off from Venus was too hard, just budget about 3,500m/s and a TWR similar to earth. You will want to launch more vertical at first to get out of the thiccest of the thicc atmosphere.

Here is quite a... challenging challenge. Launch a semi realistically sized rocket from Earth. You must land on the moon , mars and Venus. Bonus points if you go further. All of this must be done in one flight and you must return at least 1 crew capsule to earth safely.
-No cheats
-DLC allowed
-no ion engines
-BP editing allowed
-you are allowed and are encouraged to refuel in flight.
This challenged mainly revolves around refueling space stations so post some pictures of those as well ;). Good luck!
Can we refuel from other launches / missions? Or do we need to launch the refuel tanks in the same single launch? (prefer single launch)

Do we have to visit the planets / moons in the stated order? (please say yes)

Can we refuel from other launches / missions? Or do we need to launch the refuel tanks in the same single launch? (prefer single launch)

It says fueling stations at the bottom there, not clear on order of operations but I went for Venus first to dump all that equipment right away
ACB2BA3E-BF35-4FBC-84FF-42C334D97E37.png
7902E471-D55A-49F9-95AE-F4803068D0B6.png
8EC16105-599E-4E48-88ED-0671103FEE15.png
Not quite the mountain top I was hoping for but ok
E30E8398-1FEF-41A6-916E-826E3633066F.png
PUSH!
0115FC91-D8A2-44F1-BB65-63C7DD8266B8.png
WE’RE ALIVE!!!

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered

Any order you want.

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Let me be the first to say: WHAT? THAT'S ALL???!!! Blazer could that be a Venus escape rocket??
It's is so easy , land on Phobos , Diemos and possibly somewhere else like Ganymede as well before returning to Earth.

It's is so easy , land on Phobos , Diemos and possibly somewhere else like Ganymede as well before returning to Earth.
I thought it was Moon/Mars/Venus specifically

Realized parachutes aren’t reusable as I crashed into Mars, but I did the Moon

My fuel can looked bigger before I docked
D2FBA712-F9B8-4F96-A9BC-839F8FDE5A12.png
5AA9648F-CEC7-4683-B0BE-DBCFE5AB596A.png
Decided was no time like the present to deorbit some trash
93591532-3D5E-47FC-B29D-FDE44F3EDF7F.png
Tricky without a working port, but by the power of magnets I succeed
C72FC1B9-447C-4891-9513-006B75FE88D5.png
Filled up at the Lunar Gate, all no rcs dockings...love them magnets

And then I died on Mars when my chute didn’t open :eek:

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Please, do enlighten me.
It's an SFS legend. Darth Jolly was a Dark Lord of SFS, so powerful and so wise he could use the save game to influence the quicksaves to create life... He had such a knowledge of the quick save that he could even keep the rockets he used from exploding.

Of course, being a Jedi it's a story you wouldn't know...

T

TtTOtW

Aerodynamics could have a rework. Like, eliminating the legs and parachutes on the upper stage of the lander. But If Rog says it worked, It has to be true. I don't think Rog lies.
Agreed... but I'm simply astounded.

Soyuzturtle

Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
I thought it was Moon/Mars/Venus specifically

Realized parachutes aren’t reusable as I crashed into Mars, but I did the Moon

My fuel can looked bigger before I docked View attachment 42287 View attachment 42288 Decided was no time like the present to deorbit some trash View attachment 42289 Tricky without a working port, but by the power of magnets I succeed View attachment 42290 Filled up at the Lunar Gate, all no rcs dockings...love them magnets

And then I died on Mars when my chute didn’t open :eek:
First of all , congratulations on making it that far! Secondly , that's one damn fine space station you've got there.

It's an SFS legend. Darth Jolly was a Dark Lord of SFS, so powerful and so wise he could use the save game to influence the quicksaves to create life... He had such a knowledge of the quick save that he could even keep the rockets he used from exploding.

Of course, being a Jedi it's a story you wouldn't know...
And yet he fails to utilize his vast knowledge of mystical time loopery again and again

Aerodynamics could have a rework. Like, eliminating the legs and parachutes on the upper stage of the lander. But If Rog says it worked, It has to be true. I don't think Rog lies.
and another fine blind stab first draft design at that, that skirt is definitely some silly aero but it needed 4 chutes to land which was a lucky guess and the spare legs to follow up with a Moon and Mars landing...which would also demand 2 more chutes

Didn’t parachutes used to repack?

If I redid it I’d probably go with a pair of boosters with 4 chutes to drop on Venus launch, then another pair of chutes on the lander core with maybe a single pair of legs reaching below the boosters;
So add 2 chutes and lose 2 legs and an engine

maybe like so
84609933-2C2C-4029-BF8D-B3799081B5AB.jpeg

Last edited:

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
A suggestion: design a lander specifically for Venus, and leave your Mars/Moon stage in orbit around the planet.