iridium 8 mission falcon 9 landing

O

omegaman

why was the booster experiencing so much turbulance or whatever that was during the landing

why was the booster experiencing so much turbulance or whatever that was during the landing
We don't have to worry about turbulence for rockets, since they don't any airfoil for it to affect. Worse comes to worst, they'll experience a lot of vibration, but these machines are designed to handle serious vibrations so that shouldn't be a problem.

We don't have to worry about turbulence for rockets, since they don't any airfoil for it to affect. Worse comes to worst, they'll experience a lot of vibration, but these machines are designed to handle serious vibrations so that shouldn't be a problem.
Now that I looked at it, the vibration and video cut is normal.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Cosmo may correct me, but all those engines (especially the 1st stages) produce tons of vibrations (a human in the vicinity would be very badly injured, if not killed because of that). But the launcher is designed to endure that, those are the cameras who suffered in that case. As you see in the end the launcher is perfectly fine.

Cosmo may correct me, but all those engines (especially the 1st stages) produce tons of vibrations (a human in the vicinity would be very badly injured, if not killed because of that). But the launcher is designed to endure that, those are the cameras who suffered in that case. As you see in the end the launcher is perfectly fine.
Probably the empty fuel tank is enhancing acoustic vibrations, compared to a full tank where the liquids would've dampened all shock from the engines. My guess is that while the booster is approaching sea level, the denser atmosphere somehow induced an acoustic resonance which causes a spike in vibration, hence the camera blackout.

The acoustic vibration probably shook the camera's wires loose, or broke a solder.

N

Nissan Skyline GTR R34

Probably the empty fuel tank is enhancing acoustic vibrations, compared to a full tank where the liquids would've dampened all shock from the engines. My guess is that while the booster is approaching sea level, the denser atmosphere somehow induced an acoustic resonance which causes a spike in vibration, hence the camera blackout.

The acoustic vibration probably shook the camera's wires loose, or broke a solder.
Makes sense to me, where did you learn this good info?