Kingdom of Rhea

T

TtTOtW

What do you do with a rocky mess that has juuuust the right gravity? You go rule over it until someone sees how you conquered the land singlehandedly, that's what...
Screenshot_20190826-142011.png

Tour coming up, with some specs and some bonuses.

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
What do you do with a rocky mess that has juuuust the right gravity? You go rule over it until someone sees how you conquered the land singlehandedly, that's what... View attachment 26320
Oh you clever bugger, here's the rest of us putting flat platform on different planets and here you are molding your platform's around the planet! :p

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
What do you do with a rocky mess that has juuuust the right gravity? You go rule over it until someone sees how you conquered the land singlehandedly, that's what... View attachment 26320
Ya know I think a couple DB limited astronauts would spice that place up a bit too. But apart from that it's yet again a beauty of a base

T

TtTOtW

Right, welcome to Rhea. Where I rule... over, well, pretty much my equipment. Here is my current staff facility.
Screenshot_20190831-014439.png

On the ground floor we have airlocks which lead into the wardrobe unit. From there we have a lobby with a Velocivator. It has an evac mode in emergencies to shoot up to the escape craft very quickly. Better hold onto those handles...

First floor is the dorms. Not much to say. But it is fitted out with extra heavy blankets, to give that Earthlike rested feeling. Above it is the Mess. Keep it clean, or we send you to Gulag. No seriously, the cook is Russian. Don't take chances, even when he does :).

Above that are dishes that read Saturn's radiation profile. Important around here, that is... And then the escape craft. Has a Frontier on it... It's damn quick out of the blocks. Has full electric ability and a separate escape capsule, just in case. And it's got full landing capabilities.

That's it for now ;)

T

TtTOtW

The platform... It took some testing, but this version works well.
Screenshot_20190831-013252.png

It is designed to mould to or float on any sort of terrain. It has 60 vertical and 20 horizontal struts to help it play the ground's games. So it weighs over 100t each and I have 3. The surface alternates between impact resistant tiles and connection mechanisms, each being 2m wide. This gives a good versatile balance of usability wherever it is placed. So at this point my base is 195m wide.It has an integrated 20t emergency fuel supply per section. In space, you never know...

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
The platform... It took some testing, but this version works well.
View attachment 26373
It is designed to mould to or float on any sort of terrain. It has 60 vertical and 20 horizontal struts to help it play the ground's games. So it weighs over 100t each and I have 3. The surface alternates between impact resistant tiles and connection mechanisms, each being 2m wide. This gives a good versatile balance of usability wherever it is placed. So at this point my base is 195m wide.It has an integrated 20t emergency fuel supply per section. In space, you never know...
All those Landing Legs and Structs don't create too much lag?

Great base, by the way :) !

T

TtTOtW

All those Landing Legs and Structs don't create too much lag?

Great base, by the way :) !
Only when docking/ undocking/ switching crafts. That is a 25ish seconds wait at this point. Other than that lag is minimal. Also, I'm planning another extension.

T

TtTOtW

Ok, that weird fairing thing... Um... Besides the fact that that unit is highly .bp edited due to critical factors... Let's see what's inside, shall we?
Screenshot_20190831-154322.png

Oh, of course... The other obsession I have aside from shuttles...
Well it is 7m high, so barely fits, and 20m long. So it fits EXACTLY. Yeah...

Can genuinely Rove really well over the wonderful surface we are blessed with on Rhea. As in, it doesn't lift the tail due to excessively low gravity, not does it need fuel to go any distance, yet it is a delicious piece of playtime to drive 100m...

It can also do so with a 79.5t load.
It can hover on its own on 3 ions and 4 RCS even loaded. So drive... Fly... It's up to my preference.
Not bad.

The Grasshoppers are for if I get stupid oneday and I want to try lifting a 600t load on its back.

T

TtTOtW

The comms and launchpad refuelling tower.
Screenshot_20190831-013416.png

This is literally only for local communication. The upper dish is powered and works on frequencies similar to cellphones. It is for the comms link between the rover and the base. The antenna is a purely mechanical receiver, and is intended as a PTT communication with staff on and around the base. Long range communication equipment is being sent from Earth. The tank hols 162t of fuel, enough to get any craft of any mass into Rhea orbit, and most spacecraft to Earth.

The clearance flags are to avoid miscommunication and related fatalities and losses around launch time.

T

TtTOtW

Well, get ready for a lesson on how to drone.

So I sent up the 4th base unit and measured the clearance needed. Then I sent the adapter and a small MDD2-R.

So... I need someone to hold that base so I can attach the adapter. A left hand to compliment the right. Hey, who said that was a problem?
Screenshot_20190901-223336.png

Right, so let's bring the attachment:
Screenshot_20190901-223609.png

Aaaand...
Screenshot_20190901-223855.png

... that was what the game had to say. I have to assume it was impressed af. Lol. Here's the base so far:
Screenshot_20190901-231734.png

I'm planning a greenhouse for this section.

The tour will recommence in the next post.

T

TtTOtW

The base now exceeds 300m wide. I am actually surprised it is still going this smooth. So let's continue the trip...
Screenshot_20190831-013444.png

I brought in an adapter to safely secure the Kobal. 1200+ tons are not that easy to balance on its tail, even in 7% Terran gravity. It loads a maximum of 1200t and does not squeek, nevermind complain. So the Kobal is my mass transfer shuttle. It does trips to the outer solar system only. The Minerva and the Bergon have different labour briefings.

The clip to the right. It holds the Kobal's cargo bay door while the Leech grabs it by another grip to transfer it over to the door hanger. A nifty little clip. Makes all the difference. The Discovery range has a heavy duty 0g drone on board, normally situated inside the nose. It was taken out for refuelling purposes, and is currently connected to the docking port on the front of the nose cone. The Leech travels with the Kobal. It will be shown later.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the launchpad fuel tower has a string of docking ports for versatility. Any craft can reliably be serviced and launched from the pad.

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
Ok, that weird fairing thing... Um... Besides the fact that that unit is highly .bp edited due to critical factors... Let's see what's inside, shall we?
View attachment 26401
Oh, of course... The other obsession I have aside from shuttles...
Well it is 7m high, so barely fits, and 20m long. So it fits EXACTLY. Yeah...

Can genuinely Rove really well over the wonderful surface we are blessed with on Rhea. As in, it doesn't lift the tail due to excessively low gravity, not does it need fuel to go any distance, yet it is a delicious piece of playtime to drive 100m...

It can also do so with a 79.5t load.
It can hover on its own on 3 ions and 4 RCS even loaded. So drive... Fly... It's up to my preference.
Not bad.

The Grasshoppers are for if I get stupid oneday and I want to try lifting a 600t load on its back.
Aw, man, now I want a space flatbed truck.

T

TtTOtW

Right... That "left hand":
Screenshot_20190831-013528.png

I have no name for it. It's monstrous. Honestly, I'm scared of this thing.

You see, this monstrosity is 4m high and 18.5m to 22.5m wide. That is, with both tentacles fully extended. It weighs 33.08t and it lands a 500t load from orbit soft as a feather... That is, its safe limit. It does 600t with a few question marks.and that is without its triplers. Yup...
Screenshot_20190901-155427.png

That triples its capacity. Those small attachments are counterweights or fuel backups or both. Or can be left and work can be done solo. Also, those extending arms are great for measuring gaps and bumps... Big ones, like what you find on Rhea. So, 1.5 kilotons, no sweat. Balance shifting is a breeze.

There's no stopping this thing... Stay out of its way.

T

TtTOtW

With or without the boosters? With... That's gonna happen in phase 5 expansion. Without: yes it can.

Lt. Snakestrike

The Kronian Serpent; Engineering Student
Head Professor
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Yeah, I know it'll be able to land on it, I'm just wondering where...

T

TtTOtW

The launchpad where the Kobal is stationed is not exclusively for it. But phase 5 will expand beyond the Solar Collector tower.