la comedie

When you see that engine, you know you have to be in the Comedy section obviously :p

For those who don't know, it's the EM drive. In a few words, the EM drive is to rocket propulsion what flat Earth is to astrophysics.
I bet the poor physicists who are observing it in its test chamber are staring at it like some circus sideshow freak.

Ha, so it produces anti-drive and makes things go backwards?
Alright, from all the reports I've read, this heretical CHAOS worshiping copper #### of an engine is supposed to generate thrust by microwave energy bouncing back and forth in that cone.

According to the design, the cone configuration is supposed to generate maximum thrust when the field is moving in the diverging direction than when it is returning in the converging direction.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Hahahahaha!

I'm not a fan of McCain, but his face when she tried telling him that the B-1 heavy bomber is capable of directly replacing the A-10 was worth the 5 minute wait.

I feel sorry for the 'Hog cos it suffers like the Stug did. Its not sexy or famous, doesn't break the sound barrier and never gets the girl at the end of the movie. It just does its job and patiently destroys 1/4 of all soviet armour destroyed on the Eastern Front (a Stug fact).

You ask any ground commander if they'd rather a B-1 (or a King Tiger) on station or a humble A-10 (Stug III) quietly sitting in the background, then the answer in nearly all cases will be the A-10.

Why? As my boy Cyanide puts it, it's really, really simple.

Cos the enemy guns go pew pew.

But Gau-8 Avenger cannon goes BrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrTTTTTT

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I guess this is how Secretary James sees the B-1 lancer:

Likely. Don't get me wrong, it does get used and I've had them overhead. But there's nothing close about 2,000lb bombs. They're great for leveling buildings (and everything for several hundred metres) but there's something a bit more...intimate...about 30mm gatling gun fire in CAS.

And the fact is that once a B-1 nukes a gridsquare, it has to fuck off home to get more. If you're ISIS or whatever and you hear a burst of GAU, you know 2 things.
1. There's an A-10 up there. And he'll be around for several hours cos loiter.
2. That 60rdburst it fired? The drums got another 800rds just itching to get brrrRRRRTTTTT'd. So it can do that all fucking day if needs be.
3. That gun is the least of your worries. If it gets really angry, it'll drop bombs on you and then brrrrrrtttttt your corpse

Likely. Don't get me wrong, it does get used and I've had them overhead. But there's nothing close about 2,000lb bombs. They're great for leveling buildings (and everything for several hundred metres) but there's something a bit more...intimate...about 30mm gatling gun fire in CAS.

And the fact is that once a B-1 nukes a gridsquare, it has to fuck off home to get more. If you're ISIS or whatever and you hear a burst of GAU, you know 2 things.
1. There's an A-10 up there. And he'll be around for several hours cos loiter.
2. That 60rdburst it fired? The drums got another 800rds just itching to get brrrRRRRTTTTT'd. So it can do that all fucking day if needs be.
Btw, did you know Singapore is planning to replace their entire fleet of F-15s and F-16s with F-35s? No fucking way man, that is way too expensive.

EDIT: The F-15 is already a very formidable fighter, it even shot down a bloody satellite, F-16 is also a proven and very effective air superiority fighter, so why the replacement? Our air force is already the strongest in the whole of ASEAN so i see no need of full replacement, sure we can own an F-35 but maybe just a few for squad support.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Btw, did you know Singapore is planning to replace their entire fleet of F-15s and F-16s with F-35s? No fucking way man, that is way too expensive.
Yeah, I had heard a few nations climbing over themselves to stay relevant and get the F-35. The fact that the US isn't replacing its own teenage series fighters is indication of just how 'good' the F-35 is.

Yeah, I had heard a few nations climbing over themselves to stay relevant and get the F-35. The fact that the US isn't replacing its own teenage series fighters is indication of just how 'good' the F-35 is.
(p.s. I've updated my previous comment, in case you didnt notice)

I've only heard the F-35 is state of the art and an extremely capable fighter, I'm not gonna shit talk it because nobody shit talks talented veteran aerospace engineers, My only problem is that it's lacking proven combat experience like the A-10, F-16 or F-15.

The fact that the US isn't replacing its own teenage series fighters is indication of just how 'good' the F-35 is.
I dont know really, too much variables unknown for a perfect answer. F-35 is stealth, but maybe it's discount stealth unlike the F-22, and it's loaded to the brim with capabilities in order to cover the requirements of other countries.

The fact that the US is not replacing any of their fighters with the F-35 doesn't necessarily mean its bad, if that's the case, why didnt the F-18 replace the F-15?

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
EDIT: The F-15 is already a very formidable fighter, it even shot down a bloody satellite, F-16 is also a proven and very effective air superiority fighter, so why the replacement? Our air force is already the strongest in the whole of ASEAN so i see no need of full replacement, sure we can own an F-35 but maybe just a few for squad support.
The F-15 is the only zero losses fighter ever built. As in no one has ever shot one down. And that includes all of the foreign air forces (particularly Israel) that use them. Compare that to 104 confirmed air to air kills, there's absolutely nothing an Eagle hasn't killed, including a fucking satellite and that one time a Strike Eagle nailed an in-flight Iraqi helicopter with a bomb.
Don't get me wrong, a few nations home grown fighters claim to be able to tangle with one in maneuverability stakes but can't stay close enough for long enough cos as soon as one gets into trouble, the driver just lights the burners and disappears.
But that in itself shows how good it is. It's never been in a situation sat in someones gunsights and not been able to escape.
The secret to that of course is due to its central design feature, a positive TWR at combat weight, so no matter what attitude or situation (even nose up) it will always accelerate if you stand on the gas.

And you're right, it is still at the top of the generation 4 tech tree (despite being about 50years old now) and is only technically outclassed by gen 4+, gen 5 and 6 craft cos it lacks vectored thrust and has the stealth abilities of a Vegas neon sign. It'll still outrun, outclimb, outlift and outfight most comparable aircraft in the world right now except the upper tier of Russian / Chinese fighters and of course the F-22.
Same with the F-16. Everyone (well, not everyone, but you know what I mean) uses them for a reason. They're simple, incredibly capable and will do absolutely anything you want from air defense to strike competently without breaking the bank.

I think people want the F-35 for one simple reason. It's the only 5th gen stealth capable fighter available for export. You can't buy Raptors, you can't buy whatever toaster the Chinese are building and you can't buy (weird considering everything else is for sale) the Russian equivalent (cos it's not even in service yet). And because of just how difficult and ruinously expensive stealth still is, most other nations just don't have the time, money or facilities to make a 5th gen for themselves.
Bearing in mind the US and UK are already planning generation 6 aircraft (Tempest), that means they have to go to the US, cap in hand, and buy the F-35, or be a generation or 2 behind.

dont know really, too much variables unknown for a perfect answer. F-35 is stealth, but maybe it's discount stealth unlike the F-22, and it's loaded to the brim with capabilities in order to cover the requirements of other countries
The 'stealth rating' I'm not sure of. I have heard certain nations claiming to be able to track Raptors using certain bands of search radars, but it is a 15year old fighter. And those claims are likely bullshit.
Likely F-35 under certain conditions is 'stealthier' but there are problems with internal stores capacity in stealth mode. So much so that there is a 'non-stealth' set up with external pylons and missiles that'll basically turn it into an expensive F-16 on a radar screen.
It will have a few more capabilities over the Raptor, things like carrier work, VTOL etc, but they're both 'multi-role' so aside from how and where it parks, the job specs aren't much different.

The fact that the US is not replacing any of their fighters with the F-35 doesn't necessarily mean its bad, if that's the case, why didnt the F-18 replace the F-15?
Different job titles, different branches want different things. The F/A-18 is almost exclusively used by the USMC and US Navy as they wanted a cheaper fighter than the F-14 to stick on a carrier deck. Think of the Hornet as the Falcon to the Tomcats Eagle. They were designed to compliment, not replace.

Different job titles, different branches want different things. The F/A-18 is almost exclusively used by the USMC and US Navy as they wanted a cheaper fighter than the F-14 to stick on a carrier deck. Think of the Hornet as the Falcon to the Tomcats Eagle. They were designed to compliment, not replace.
Another reason why I shouldn't talk military politics, I don't know enough, and I'm more into the three dimensions of an aircraft rather than the politics that make or break it. Maybe I should change my outlook.

The 'stealth rating' I'm not sure of. I have heard certain nations claiming to be able to track Raptors using certain bands of search radars, but it is a 15year old fighter. And those claims are likely bullshit.
Likely F-35 under certain conditions is 'stealthier' but there are problems with internal stores capacity in stealth mode. So much so that there is a 'non-stealth' set up with external pylons and missiles that'll basically turn it into an expensive F-16 on a radar screen.
It will have a few more capabilities over the Raptor, things like carrier work, VTOL etc, but they're both 'multi-role' so aside from how and where it parks, the job specs aren't much different.
I guess all there's left is to see it in combat, best way to prove or disprove anything is trial by fire.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
guess all there's left is to see it in combat, best way to prove or disprove anything is trial by fire.
Yeah. And cos it's been so heavily exported, that will happen sooner or later. The vast majority of air combat kills achieved by the more famous US designed aircraft over the past 30-40 years comes from export customers (Israel and Iran, ironically enough) rather than actual US squadrons.

I reckon Turkey is gonna be the one to shoot something down first with one. They've already been testing it against the Russian and chinese built air defence systems that they own (something the US DoD was really unhappy about) and cos of where they sit strategically and the nil fucks attitude they show to the big players, I see one nailing a russian built mig or sukhoi sometime.