Laika's first orbit on the Sputnik 2

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
It is a common mistake to think Laika was the first animal in SPACE. Suborbital flight with flies and worms had been done since 1947.
But Laika was the first living being to ORBIT EARTH... And the first Death in orbit...

Albert II and IV broke the Karman line, but no not orbit...they both died of failed parachute disease,
Always pack your own parachute, unless you are a stupid monkey

Albert I just died for lack of any sort of life support, his rocket wasn’t meant to reach space so who cares?
Albert III however blew up all dramatic Challenger style

Earl

Builder of Stupid Rockets // Pres Ben //|**|\\
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Fly me to the Moon
Registered
Albert II and IV broke the Karman line, but no not orbit...they both died of failed parachute disease,

Albert I just died for lack of any sort of life support, his rocket wasn’t meant to reach space so who cares?
I thought Albert died of an Aneurysm

I thought Albert died of an Aneurysm
Albert VI went up with some mice to “American” space around 72km, the whole world laughed and mocked him for not going to 100km and he was so ashamed he had a stroke and died, Albert V died mercifully of another parachute fail earlier

Shit happens, just move on.

Albert VI went up with some mice to “American” space around 72km, the whole world laughed and mocked him for not going to 100km and he was so ashamed he had a stroke and died, Albert V died mercifully of another parachute fail earlier
I was about to make an African Space Program joke but I remembered TtoTw is African. So I'll tell you later.

S

Spacey1100

It is a common mistake to think Laika was the first animal in SPACE. Suborbital flight with flies and worms had been done since 1947.
But Laika was the first living being to ORBIT EARTH... And the first Death in orbit...

F for fallen comrade dog, she was truly blyatiful...

Laika was a stray dog brutally murdered by cold Soviet hands, she was never loved in life and will never feel your affection

Does anyone in Russia even care about this dog or is it just a pure American Cold War narrative?

Laika was a stray dog brutally murdered by cold Soviet hands, she was never loved in life and will never feel your affection

Does anyone in Russia even care about this dog or is it just a pure American Cold War narrative?
Dude, if you'd studied the story behind Laika carefully, the people behind the mission were far more heartbroken to see the dog go. The difference between them and us, is that they were there, and had to personally see the dog strapped into the rocket.

Calling them cold would be a huge "fuck you".

Also, they planned to poison her gel food to painlessly euthanize her once she's up there, really debunks the theory of them "not caring".

Wow, pansies can’t kill a scrappy dog for science, no wonder the Union crumbled

...I mean what kind of scientist anthropomorphizes a dog before killing it?
That’s crazier than not caring

Last edited: