Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
Ok so here's the list:
Delta V:
Δv=g×ISP×ln(mf/me)
g is the gravity of Earth, ISP is specific impulse, In is the natural log with base e, mf is the mass of fuel tank with fuel, me is the mass of the empty fuel tank

Thrust:
T = n×fc×g×Isp/2
n is the total number of RCS, fc is the fuel consumption

Force:
F=m×a
m is the mass of an object while a is the acceleration of the object

Weight:
W=m×g
g is the gravity

James Brown

Thinker/INTJ/investigator/Natural Science lover
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
More will be added, I just can't post more now
Altaïr Horus Lupercal and other experts can you guys help me to write more formulas? Many thanks
I think new players needs them

Last edited:

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
New players only need to know what's actually efficient and also pointy end goes sideways, not up.:p

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
New players only need to know what's actually efficient and also pointy end goes sideways, not up.:p
"I think" this is my subjective thoughts, it can be wrong

Pink

(Mooncrasher)
Staff member
Team Valiant
Discord Staff
Voyager Quest
Man on the Moon
Forum Legend
That's ok to think, for sure.

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
T = n×fc×g×Isp/2
n is the total number of RCS, fc is the fuel consumption
That one is wrong James :)

I know, it's from myself, but I used it in a very specific context, for a ship only powered by RCS, and in which half of the RCS were oriented upwards (so they weren't used because the purpose was to make it lift off, hence the division by 2).

The correct formula, in a general way, is:
Thrust = fc × g × Isp
With:
- Thrust expressed in kilonewtons
- fc = fuel consumption expressed in tons per second
- g = 9.8 m/s2
- Isp expressed in seconds

There is a simple variant with Thrust expressed in tons:
Thrust(tons) = fc × Isp

Be careful when you give formulas, make sure you understand them first.

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
That one is wrong James :)

I know, it's from myself, but I used it in a very specific context, for a ship only powered by RCS, and in which half of the RCS were oriented upwards (so they weren't used because the purpose was to make it lift off, hence the division by 2).

The correct formula, in a general way, is:
Thrust = fc × g × Isp
With:
- Thrust expressed in kilonewtons
- fc = fuel consumption expressed in tons per second
- g = 9.8 m/s2
- Isp expressed in seconds

There is a simple variant with Thrust expressed in tons:
Thrust(tons) = fc × Isp

Be careful when you give formulas, make sure you understand them first.
Oh thank you so much I just want to collect more formulas on here
You won't mind helping me with writing more formulas right? I don't have that knowledge of physics so I need more expert's help on doing this

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
So you want to list formulas but we have to do the job? Doesn't seem very fair :p

I would be ok to give formulas, but from my experience there's very little demand for that. I've always been willing to help with a formula when I was asked, but this happened very rarely, and that was mostly from just a few members. I'm really not sure that new players need this. Most of them don't even understand the concept of specific impulse, how would they use the Tsiolkovsky equation?

And even then, we are talking about simple maths there. Believe me, the formulas used in astrodynamics are particularly ugly in comparison (I hope you love square roots, non-integer exponents and trigonometrical functions). Believe me, newcomers don't want to see that. o_O

Sorry but I don't think it's reasonable. We could leave tons of formulas, it would be a huge work, and not even 1% of people would actually use them. If you need a few formulas about a particular domain, fine. But if we give a list of 50 overcomplicated formulas, people will just skip the whole thing.

James Brown

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
So you want to list formulas but we have to do the job? Doesn't seem very fair :p

I would be ok to give formulas, but from my experience there's very little demand for that. I've always been willing to help with a formula when I was asked, but this happened very rarely, and that was mostly from just a few members. I'm really not sure that new players need this. Most of them don't even understand the concept of specific impulse, how would they use the Tsiolkovsky equation?

And even then, we are talking about simple maths there. Believe me, the formulas used in astrodynamics are particularly ugly in comparison (I hope you love square roots, non-integer exponents and trigonometrical functions). Believe me, newcomers don't want to see that. o_O

Sorry but I don't think it's reasonable. We could leave tons of formulas, it would be a huge work, and not even 1% of people would actually use them. If you need a few formulas about a particular domain, fine. But if we give a list of 50 overcomplicated formulas, people will just skip the whole thing.
Ok I just want that few formula, thank you:)
I want just useful and non complicated ones

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
I think new players needs them
No, they really don't.

Most of them don't even understand the concept of specific impulse, how would they use the Tsiolkovsky equation?
For this reason. They're still getting TWR and staging, never mind fuel burn calculations and delta velocity.

I've always been willing to help with a formula when I was asked, but this happened very rarely, and that was mostly from just a few members.
Members like me.

James, personally I get what you're doing, but the how is flawed. Throwing out of context equations at people isn't gonna help them, they need explaining from the start and breaking down so people can understand. Like Altair says, what is ISP? They need to have a good working knowledge of how and what it is before they start using it elsewhere.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
Ok I just want that few formula, thank you:)
I want just useful and non complicated ones
This is what I said:
If you need a few formulas about a particular domain, fine.
Seriously, don't just tell me "please give formulas", be more precise James. Am I supposed to list every formulas I can find about everything and that I consider "simple enough"?

For example here are a few ones:

Circumference of a circle:
C = 2×π×R
where R is the planet radius.

Speed:
Speed = Distance / Time

Using those 2 formulas, you can calculate the time it would need for a rover to complete a tour of a given planet.

Is that what you need?

Gurren Lagann

«★» Officer «» //PT
Professor
ET phone home
Man on the Moon
Registered
You didnt set standards on the minimum usability formulae must have in the game, so here's one: e=mc²

But seriously, here's a simple formula series to convert planets from real scale to SFS scale, and vice versa:
SMASFS = SMAReal/20
RadiusSFS = RadiusReal/20
RadiusReal = RadiusSFS*20
SMAReal = SMASFS*20

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Seriously, don't just tell me "please give formulas", be more precise James. Am I supposed to list every formulas I can find about everything and that I consider "simple enough"?
I was gonna do this, and just throw up random formulas like the distance/speed/time triangle, E=MC2, pictures of F1 cars etc as a bit of a laugh.

Beat me to it.

Altaïr

Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
I was gonna do this, and just throw up random formulas like the distance/speed/time triangle, E=MC2, pictures of F1 cars etc as a bit of a laugh.

Beat me to it.
That was very tempting to be honest :p

Here are again a few simple formulas:
a×(b+c) = a×b + a×c
V=I×R
sqrt(a^2) = |a|
cos(a-b) = cos(a)×cos(b)+sin(a)×sin(b)

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
You cant be faster than the Space Stig, its a universal law.
Very true. First Law of the Forum. Space Stig controls space and time. Because of this, he is in all places at all times simultaneously. So even if you turn up before him, he's been there since the dawn of time and will always beat you to it.