Mass to orbit calculations

Axiom

He who asks ten thousand questions
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
I'm trying to rearrange the rocket equation (for 2 stages, I want to add more though) to give me payload to a given delta-v, but I get stuck on this step.

Is there any way to rearrange for X? If not, is there any way to get a close approximation of X?

A is the wet mass of stage 1 and stage 2
B is the dry mass of stage 1 and wet mass of stage 2
C is the wet mass of stage 2
D is the dry mass of stage 2

Attachments

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
The equation looks too complicated, I don't see how you could rearrange and solve for x analytically... It would be doable with a single stage, but not two. You'll have to plot it for the solution.

A trick I use to make the rocket equation easier to deal with is that I express it using fuel mass instead of wet mass. As wet mass = fuel mass + dry mass, it can be expressed that way:
ΔV = Ve × Ln(1 + fuel_mass/dry_mass)

For your second stage for example, fuel_mass is (C-D), while dry_mass is (D+x). C-D is known, so you only have an unknown variable at the denominator:
ΔV2 = Ve2 × Ln(1 + (C-D)/(D+x))

That still won't save you unfortunately, but I find this form easier to deal with in practice :)

Axiom

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Ah ok, I guess I'm stuck with plugging in values and seeing what works

I could use a graphs but the problem is that excel can't plot exact graphs for these types of equations

Last edited:

Altaïr

Space Stig, Master of gravity
Staff member
Head Moderator
Team Kolibri
Modder
TEAM HAWK
Atlas
Deja Vu
Under Pressure
Forum Legend
You can use desmos or any other graphing calculator for this. Otherwise you can test values by yourself manually indeed.

Axiom

TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Under Pressure
Registered
Yeah, I kinda do that sometimes, but the problem is that Excel is better for planning the rocket and Desmos is better for graphing Delta-V, I guess I could get Excel to generate the values for Desmos but that's a problem for not today