Memes

CIWS systems, be they Phalanx or Goalkeeper are complete, standalone systems. That dome on top is the tracking system as a radome and an IR camera on the side.
Yes sir! I was lucky enough to be working 6 years at GD Pittsfield MA where this was developed. Granted its R&E was way before my time there but it was its birth place.

i wonder if that weapon can be boarded to space station then shoots things like brrrrrrrt
Fun fact the russian did something like that way back.
The Soviets built a station code-named "Almaz," a space station that held spy equipment, radar, and the R-23M, a 37-pound 14.5mm automatic cannon that could fire up to 5,000 rounds per minute that was accurate up to a mile away. There was just one problem: aiming the cannon. The cosmonauts in the station would have to rotate the entire space station to point the weapon.

img.jpg

https://www.wearethemighty.com/history/soviet-space-cannon-in-orbit

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Fun fact the russian did something like that way back.
The Soviets built a station code-named "Almaz," a space station that held spy equipment, radar, and the R-23M, a 37-pound 14.5mm automatic cannon that could fire up to 5,000 rounds per minute that was accurate up to a mile away. There was just one problem: aiming the cannon. The cosmonauts in the station would have to rotate the entire space station to point the weapon.

View attachment 46070
https://www.wearethemighty.com/history/soviet-space-cannon-in-orbit
I still don't get how the Russians could maintain space stations in orbit in the 80s, while they still had Black&White TVs.

I still don't get how the Russians could maintain space stations in orbit in the 80s, while they still had Black&White TVs.
I know right! I play NMS with a russian guy and he jokes on his country all the time. He says they have shit roads, building, public services but have an almost unlimited supply of booze, potatoes, processed meat, and access to high speed internet so he can watch 4k XXX.

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
perhaps their station don't use LED nor flat screen i guess :3 :3 :3 :p

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Why not? The US went to the moon on black and white tvs. Concorde was supersonic in a time before supercomputers. You can design and run a space program on a slide rule and a chalk board.

It's why I fucking love when the flat earthers claim the moon landing footage was faked. I genuinely wish it was, as in 1969 it would've been a bigger technological leap to fake the moon landings than to actually go there for real.