ME's designs

SupremeDorian

Idiotic Professor
Professor
Registered
I'll test it. But anything over 600m/s is actually mostly useless.
Limits of the physics engine? I imagine something going that fast would just phase right through whatever you're shooting. Or just break upon impact and not do any damage to the target.

Danny Batten

Sanctor **《T》** MT/SP/TE/ Governor of Terra SOI
Professor
Registered
Limits of the physics engine? I imagine something going that fast would just phase right through whatever you're shooting. Or just break upon impact and not do any damage to the target.
The first one, past 100m/s and it becomes a bit stupid, as in theory you only need to phase through 6 blocks at most

T

TtTOtW

Even at 70m/s it passes through 2 blocks if placed close enough to the projectile upon fire.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
i'd ask how'd you measure the speed of the projectile, but I sadly doubt i'd get a response.
Test firing from a ground bench. It's capable of striking targets on the Moon from the launchpad at just shy of 5200m/s. If you miss, it'll exit Earths SOI and will go quite close to the sun so you could theoretically nail Mercury and everything in between as well.

It's not the be and end all, as you say, kinetic energy doesn't matter in this game. One object tends to only break one object regardless of how fast its going. I fired it at my Komodo rocket and it cleared the side engines and a few tanks out but not what a projectile at that speed should be doing which is cutting things in half and going out the otherside.

Yeah, if the target is harder than the projectile then it should just shatter on impact. That's usually the best way of stopping bullets. And also correct, at that velocity it should be going right through its target like a PaK88 through a Sherman

Zeeray13

Merlin Master
Registered
Test firing from a ground bench. It's capable of striking targets on the Moon from the launchpad at just shy of 5200m/s. If you miss, it'll exit Earths SOI and will go quite close to the sun so you could theoretically nail Mercury and everything in between as well.

It's not the be and end all, as you say, kinetic energy doesn't matter in this game. One object tends to only break one object regardless of how fast its going. I fired it at my Komodo rocket and it cleared the side engines and a few tanks out but not what a projectile at that speed should be doing which is cutting things in half and going out the otherside.

Yeah, if the target is harder than the projectile then it should just shatter on impact. That's usually the best way of stopping bullets. And also correct, at that velocity it should be going right through its target like a PaK88 through a Sherman
The trick to this weapon is putting some stuff on the projectile so it phases through the solar panel armor and destroys the critical systems usuallly in the center

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
The trick to this weapon is putting some stuff on the projectile so it phases through the solar panel armor and destroys the critical systems usuallly in the center
I tried adding things onto it a while back (seeing if it could be used as a one shot satellite launch system), but any added weight hugely affected its velocity

Zeeray13

Merlin Master
Registered
I tried adding things onto it a while back (seeing if it could be used as a one shot satellite launch system), but any added weight hugely affected its velocity
Its not great for that purpose for a weapon system though you slap one or two structural pieces to it and boom you got something that can rip through any armored ship

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Its not great for that purpose for a weapon system though you slap one or two structural pieces to it and boom you got something that can rip through any armored ship
Point taken, but I've not made a weapon in ages and even managed to abstain from arming an actual Aircraft Carrier. I'd have loved for it to even have sent something sub-orbital as a ground launched first stage and only needed a tiny second stage to create orbit. Would have come in handy for some projects.