Missions to other planets.

Could someone explain to em or direct me to a tutorial on going to other planets? I've managed to get to the moon and land but that's not far at all. I assume going to another planet is the same procedure? Like burn until my orbit reaches the orbit of whatever planet I want to go to? Once I get to the encounter spot how should I burn so that I get caught into said planets orbit? Those are the two parts that always give me trouble.

Horus Lupercal

Primarch - Warmaster
Professor
Swingin' on a Star
Deja Vu
Biker Mice from Mars
ET phone home
Floater
Copycat
Registered
Yeah, it's exactly the same as when you go to the moon. Get your encounter, timewarp until your craft is inside the target planet SOI and then burn retrograde in the same way as you did to land on the moon, to stay inside the target planet SOI and then land in exactly the same way as you do on the moon.

In short, it's exactly the same. If you can land on the moon, you can land anywhere.

SFSAbhishek

/<***@Intricate Crafts are Mine✓***>\
Star Forger
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
The nearest planets are Mars and Venus which have atmosphere so you can also use parachutes to land for some initial missions

Mars Pathfinder

«★★» CMDR «★★» // PT // FartFinder
Christmas Event Category Winner
TEAM HAWK
Swingin' on a Star
Atlas
Deja Vu
Fly me to the Moon
Under Pressure
Registered
-Build rocket
-Fly it
-Enter LEO
-Mark the target Planet
-Burn in transfer window
-Timewarp if u want
-Get in to the Planet's Sphere of Influence
-Burn retrograde like Horus said or aerobrake
-Finish the burn and your on orbit of your target planet....

Falcon231

Man on the Moon
Registered
build a craft capable enough
fly it
get to leo
warp to transfer window
Burn inside transfer window
Timewarp again
get into planets SOI
burn retro
land

Thanks guys. It's weird because I have gone to Pluto, Saturn, Jupiter and Neptune. But the inner planets for some reason give me a lot of trouble. I'll get there.

Blazer Ayanami

Space Shuttle enthusiast // Retired Admin
Registered
Forum Legend
Thanks guys. It's weird because I have gone to Pluto, Saturn, Jupiter and Neptune. But the inner planets for some reason give me a lot of trouble. I'll get there.
Well, that's odd cause they are supposed to be the easy ones. Well, at least Venus and Mars is easy to get there. For Mercury I recommend you to learn the gravity assistance before trying a mission there.

Well, that's odd cause they are supposed to be the easy ones. Well, at least Venus and Mars is easy to get there. For Mercury I recommend you to learn the gravity assistance before trying a mission there.
It's weird because when I set a course to the moon I get to the transfer zone, burn my engines, my orbit will grow larger and eventually just turns into a single line to the encounter. But when I do it for other planets that single line never happens. The orbit circle just grows bigger and bigger and bigger.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
It's weird because when I set a course to the moon I get to the transfer zone, burn my engines, my orbit will grow larger and eventually just turns into a single line to the encounter. But when I do it for other planets that single line never happens. The orbit circle just grows bigger and bigger and bigger.
Have you checked that the Earth is on a transfer window to your target planet?

Yup. I select the planet and hit navigate to, fast forward time until Earth is in the transfer window, then fast forward until my ship is in the transfer window around the Earth, then do the burn.

Blazer Ayanami

Registered
Forum Legend
Yup. I select the planet and hit navigate to, fast forward time until Earth is in the transfer window, then fast forward until my ship is in the transfer window around the Earth, then do the burn.
That's the way to do it. And you still don't get the encounter? Then I have no idea, buddy.

T

TtTOtW

Get the counter to as near zero as possible. It will disappear, then very quickly switch off throttle. Small throttle helps. Then go to that planet and you'll see the trajectory as it continues in that SOI. Burn at 0.1-ish% throttle until it reaches your desired periapsis. Then time warp and the rest is is history.

Get the counter to as near zero as possible. It will disappear, then very quickly switch off throttle. Small throttle helps. Then go to that planet and you'll see the trajectory as it continues in that SOI. Burn at 0.1-ish% throttle until it reaches your desired periapsis. Then time warp and the rest is is history.
What do you mean by "counter"?

Ok so see how in the moon picture the orbit breaks into a single line eventually? So I keep burning and the line eventually meets the moons orbit and there's my encounter. Then in the Mars picture that doesn't happen. My orbit line stays circular and I just let it get bigger until it lines up with the dotted line. Is this the correct way to do it?

T

TtTOtW

Ok so see how in the moon picture the orbit breaks into a single line eventually? So I keep burning and the line eventually meets the moons orbit and there's my encounter. Then in the Mars picture that doesn't happen. My orbit line stays circular and I just let it get bigger until it lines up with the dotted line. Is this the correct way to do it?
Yes, and see those numbers? Just before they reach zero they'll disappear. You'd better be on very low throttle then.